Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Semi-slick tyres for Sport 410 / Cup 430 (and some others) - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Semi-slick tyres for Sport 410 / Cup 430 (and some others)

Correct, I can report that the tire is way better than the Cup2. By better I mean faster and stable, but hard to warm up. Even heavier cars struggle to warm it up. I was not able to warm it up without power sliding it. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fully agree. Looks like most of the performance compound is prepared for heavy cars, since all of sports cars are quite heavy compared to the exige. I can report that the people with a various Porsche Caymans were complaining that they are not able to warm up the Trofeo R. Even some drivers with GT3 RS were complaining that it takes too long (3-4 laps) to warm up the Trofeo R. We are talking about 400 kg heavier car. But once warmed, its just epic. For sure it's way better than Cup2, but not perfect. Anyone tried those Exige specific tyres from Komo-Tec (Cooper-Avon RS3-R KT)? Problem is that they are only available in 265 for the rear. 

• Love 1

On 26/04/2022 at 11:29, Seriouslylotus said:

why is 265 for the rear a problem? 285 dont fit nicely on the rims. We have used the Cooper RS3R/Avon ZZR on lots of cars, work well last well etc No complaints. May not be as fast as some other tyres but its a trackday right? Not racing!!!

Agree that the 265 sits better on an OEM wheel... it's made for the 265 not for the 285 or even 295. I have limited rear-end grip (most likely due to the camber issues), so would like to avoid 265 before it's sorted out. 

How fast can the Cooper RS3R/Avon ZZR be warmed up?

I think A052 u should be able to get the right size if I recall correctly or maybe profile was 1 down.  But AR1 I am running 225 fronts and 275 rears (OEM F 205 R 265).  I think rears you can run up to 295 with no rubbing. 

I cant say from experience but certainly from my mates who run them it is.  1 of them has tried most of the semi slicks and conclusion for him was A052 gave him the best laptime and best all rounder for him. Personally I dun like cup2 because of the softer tyrewall (stiffer tyrewall will give u more feedback). Also I had a brand new set cup2 where 1 rear tyre just split after 1 single trackday. I dunno how it happened but only noticed the next day so fortunately nothing bad happened except for my wallet 😂 

2 hours ago, theplanner said:

I think A052 u should be able to get the right size if I recall correctly or maybe profile was 1 down.  But AR1 I am running 225 fronts and 275 rears (OEM F 205 R 265).  I think rears you can run up to 295 with no rubbing. 

Interested to hear you are running 225 fronts. What car is that on and any mods to allow this.

I have a Cup430 and after seeing a friend running his M2 on AR1’s and how much better they were compared to the Cup 2’s he ran before I will switch out to AR1’s once Cup 2’s are done.

You can’t get AR1’s in OEM for rear so would need to be 295’s which will fit fine.

They do OEM fronts in 215 but 225 if fits without fouling then this would complement the rears better imo.

Edited by Tex
Mistakes

My steering arm was milled to get an extra -ve 1 degrees of camber (im max out at the front at -ve2.5. It only rubs on full lock to the left otherwise it is all good. So just need to be mindful when parking in carparks. My car is a 390FE still on stock suspension for now. 

I also know of a 430 that is running the same -ve camber as me with 235 tyres which also seems to work. Im not sure what tyres he is runninf tho. 

agree re the 295 rears, I will up size next time once my suspension is all sorted. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tex said:

Interested to hear you are running 225 fronts. What car is that on and any mods to allow this.

I have a Cup430 and after seeing a friend running his M2 on AR1’s and how much better they were compared to the Cup 2’s he ran before I will switch out to AR1’s once Cup 2’s are done.

You can’t get AR1’s in OEM for rear so would need to be 295’s which will fit fine.

They do OEM fronts in 215 but 225 if fits without fouling then this would complement the rears better imo.

Oh just a word of warning with AR1 if u intent on trying them out is that they are noisy on the road.  I just remembered I have a friend who went from A052 to AR1, reckons grip level is similar for him (his lap times are identical) but he doesnt like the noisiness so he is going back to A052.  Other friends reckon they are heavy rubber so dun rate them high. 

Personally all those issues dun bother me on the road or track so Im pretty pleased with it.

I'm 225 front with 295 rear on 4s which are known to lose chunks on lapdays from overheating... maybe they wont chunk on me as the exige is so light?

I have aftermarket suspension and wheels.

Probally gonna try a 235/18 in the front next.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...