Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
General Election. - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

General Election.

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fair point @Barrykearley re the vote and I agree, but the way the press are reporting it is different.

Labour won 40% of the vote, you could reasonably say that at least 15% of those votes would have been for Brexit, so the true figure for Brexit parties vote share would be much higher as Labours overall vote was split.

However, at any figure it does not justify the protests, the behaviour or nastiness. Not helped at all by complete and utter spoilt brats like Lilly Allan and her wealthy trendy lefty pals.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

One woman protester was shouting "Not my Prime Minister" but he kinda is....at the end of the day.

buddsy

But Corbyn didn't get in Diane

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

19 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

but how much % did remain parties poll? 

8 hours ago, C8RKH said:

52%.

This may be their position on this one point. There were however only 2 parties that could ever have won the election. One has an issue with their leader and/or institutional reputation for racism, supporting terrorist organisations and communism and quite frankly would ruin the country.

Please don't assume everyone who voted conservative was voting for leave..... yes they would have known that this was the outcome, but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

For the record there was a vote to stay or leave and leave won, so I wholeheartedly agree that we should leave (or more accurately already have left) regardless of ones personal opinion, but please stop claiming everyone who voted conservative wanted to leave, it is just not true and claiming as such is no better than the "remainers not accepting they lost". There I've said it.

Aside from this, agree, nothing supports violent protests

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

What a bunch of idiots. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Cons and Labour on 365(~44%) and 203 (~32%) is at least approximately in line.

But the system definitely needs some adjustment....

SnP have 48 seats, represent 4% of the vote, and dont want anything to do with England.
LibDems have only 11 seats from nearly 12% of the vote, but at least they want a United Kingdom

How  the feck does THAT make sense?

1690CE84-2FBC-46D4-A813-18643D511A6C.png

44 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Cons and Labour on 365(~44%) and 203 (~32%) is at least approximately in line.

But the system definitely needs some adjustment....

SnP have 48 seats, represent 4% of the vote, and dont want anything to do with England.
LibDems have only 11 seats from nearly 12% of the vote, but at least they want a United Kingdom

How  the feck does THAT make sense?

1690CE84-2FBC-46D4-A813-18643D511A6C.png

there are problems with all systems.

The current first past the post in a defined area, gives a known person clear accountability to those living in that constituency. the elected person is supposed to represent those people. But if that person gets the single largest share of the votes, and the same happens elsewhere you can end up with a party getting not the greatest share of the votes yet getting all-but one or at least the majority of the seats in the HoC.

Pure proportional representation, means that (subject to small variances) the number of MPs a party has aligns to the proportion of the votes the party received, so  in this case LD would get c66 MPs,  SNP c26 MPs etc. The biggest problems are that you don't get a clearly accountable representative of an area (or at least not one that was elected by those locals), you don't get any possibility of independents / regional  / small parties (not if it's a small regional party), so Like SNP in their early days, PC in theirs or even UKIP in the first few elections, they'd just not get enough of a vote to  get seats. It also means the government tends to be more moderated, so a big swing from one party to another actually doesn't happen, it only really happens in the current system, so you get more hung parliaments/ coalitions, which is what we'd be facing today if we has proportional representation, Cons would need LD to form a coalition to get even just over 50% of the seats in HoC. The markets don't like them, they tend to struggle to get anything through parliament and eventually fall out with each other and call another election.

There are other systems, but each has its strengths and weaknesses. 

The disproportion between SNP share of vote and share of seats reflects the more sparsely populated trying to not lass less-dense,,,) areas that make up each constituency in Scotland. can you imagine the uproar if the govt body tried to merge seats on a tree-to-one basis to even it out? There'd be people with weapons and blue crosses on faces screaming as they attacked. Even worse, they could split the seats in England on a one-to-three basis, and we'd have nearly 3x the number of MPs and need new HoC to cope with them. The expenses could bankrupt the country.

• Like 1

Parliament have already debated a change in the way we vote and it was rejected. Is this another case of having more and more votes until the loudest protesters win?

My point regarding the % for leave v remain was actually more related to the fact that I voted remain in the referendum but voted for Boris and I know that there will have been Corbyn voters who voted leave but could never bring themselves to vote Tory.

At the end of the day - it matters not one jot. 'We' voted to leave in 2016 and hopefully now we have a Govt with a big enough majority to ensure that at least in some form, Brexit happens. Even Farage had the balls to admit that he would rather see any brexit than none at all!

I also believe that we will now see the true Boris who isn't constrained by the DUP or by the ERG - if you discount Sinn Fein (who don't take their 7 seats) - his majority is nearer 90!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

This has appeared twice on my FB page today. Seems like I am evil scum who murders thousands a year.........

Image may contain: one or more people and text

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Absolutely shocking. Frankly I think I need a cull on FB. Some people are just too bitter and twisted. 

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Far too much crap on there. The new government will hopefully ram this brexit stuff through and it can all be over and done with as soon as possible. I notice he is intending to remove any possibility of delay which adds certainty and leadership into the process.

onwards and upwards. I for one am very thankful 

• Like 2

Only here once

Makes me laugh that already the opposition are complaining about Boris trying to pass a law to prevent transition period going beyond 31st Dec 2020.

These people must be a thick as very thick shit! Why don't they have the ability of understanding that the EU have been forced to sit up and take notice - by stating that now Boris is sending a clear message to them to get a fucking move on. Failure to do this will only lead them to think they can string it out forever and a day.

Go Boris go - get brexit done.

If wanker Gove hadn't stabbed him in the back 3 years ago where would we be now? I have been wondering for a while how Boris is going to get his revenge.........

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It is in the EUs advantage to drag the process out as long as it takes.

The uk need to time limit the process to focus the EU - this also gives the uk the ability to get on and sign deals with other countries.

It is looking likely the Eu will try and tie the uk into all sorts of red tape to ensure a quick zero tariff trade deal - I really hope that Boris will refuse any of this EU trickery

Only here once

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50826472

MPs who lost their seats get compensated (£18k average - some get £40k) Total bill for 71 MPs to be £2m

They haven't been made redundant - their ex job still exists! They have been sacked........

Poor buggers - must be really tricky for them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1