Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 35 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

I can't imagine lotus will take this seriously at all, they now have the money, it's not in their interest to do further development when they're busy selling 'lifestyles' to muppets that want F8 look a likes. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I emailed Matt Windle too.

I got a reply!!! 😛

”Sorry, I’m out of the office on a business trip to Australia…”

:lol:

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Ok - Chris Hinks just got back to me now:

—————————

Hi Rob

We have concluded our investigation into this topic, unfortunately we have found it is not feasible to "back engineer" the Final Edition Instrument Pack to operate in the same manner as the Aftermarket Instrument pack.

During meetings with AIM engineers and our own Electrical Engineers a great number of hard stops were identified, but a summary of the main reasons are:

1) The software between the two units is incompatible, it is not a "copy paste" process
2) new software would have to be written for the Limited Edition Instrument Pack
3) New software introduced into a vehicle changes it's specification from it's Type Approval and so re-Type Approving would have to be carried out, for example Eletromechanical Interference Testing is just one of the many safety tests which would have to occur
4) Type approving a vehicle no longer in production is not within Lotus priorities

Sorry to be the bearer of this disappointing news

Best regards

Chris

That's bullshit and he knows it!

I get the "not priority" that is the the main point. They've sold the cars and couldn't care less about the Elise/Exige any more.

1. We know that, that's fine.
2. New software to be written - AiM have said they can do this, but someone needs to pay.
3. Type Approval - Would not need to be redone for "aftermarket" update. How else do other car companies enable/disable features OTA.
4. Not in Lotus priorities, that's clear to see.

It can be done, just Lotus can't be arsed to support customers.

We know the GPS works if you get a versionA gps unit (now out of production) but the versionB needs software update to work...

Overall, very disappointed with Lotus' attitude.

I'd rather they told AIM that AIM have permission to do whatever they want to the unit. That would then allow us to pay AIM to develop the firmware. I'd happily pay a small fee to enable the GPS/Reverse Camera, not to mention the additional features that can be coded in.

Interestingly, I've just had the same copy/pasted email as above.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

After having the same (exact copy and paste) reply as @stevensr34 I have sent the following reply:

---------

So can Lotus sign over the rights to AIM on the MXLotus?

It seems that AIM can and will develop for it, but not whilst their hands are tied by Lotus.

It’s incredibly disappointing that Lotus are no longer interested in the Elise/Exige now the Emira/Electre are on the roadmap.
It’s things like this, that even after 3 brand new Lotus’ in my ownership, that I’m considering cancelling my Emira deposit.
Yes, I’m only one small deposit in a sea of many, but I do feel abandoned in Cup ownership after less than 8 months!

If we can work with AIM directly, maybe even paying a ’small update fee’ then that’s something many FE owners would consider.

I welcome your thoughts,

Regards,
Lee.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2022 at 00:45, Jonathan E said:

"Any chance of a photo? I have typically seen them in the upper part of the diffuser trim but I was never sure they would last due to the heat fro the exhaust."

Mine on my Elise. Been on for two years now and no problems so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.1057781f07a4d7b3ed4b4f4bc0c6083c.jpeg

Looks tidy. I was thinking of mounting the camera in the same place, but I was worried it might be too noticeable. I was also thinking of mounting the camera behind the grill and enlarging the hole as needed. Do you have another picture from a different angle?

Also, is there a grommet to feed the wires back into the car or did you need to drill a hole?

Looks like it's "buy the mx2e or stick with what you've got"

Hi Mr Cripps

As I said I am sorry to give the disappointing news regarding the Instrument Pack.

With AIM and our Electrical Engineers we explored all options for making the changes you are wanting, I did the calculations of the total cost and even if all Final Edition owners paid an equal share, it is more than a small update fee. New software and vehicle test is a very expensive exercise, the reality is it would actually be far more cost effective to fit the Aftermarket Instrument Pack.

Again I apologise I am unable to give you better news

Best regards

Chris

Surely AiM can just produce something and provide it for us? I mean how hard can it be to make a video appear when you click a button when they already have that functionality in the MX2E? I feel like we're not asking for much here!

Agreed. I'm sure it's that simple.

The hardware is there for the camera, it's just the fact they don't want to step on Lotus' toes.

20 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Thats not quite right Lee!! An MX2E is £1440 plus vat, The solution i suggested to you starts at under £500 plus vat

I wasn't sure I was allowed to suggest what you'd offered! :)

Seeing as you've given half the game away...
Dave has proposed a method of 'part exchanging' the MXLotus as a part payment towards an MX2E, which comes in price wise as above. It's a one way street though, once MXLotus is part exchanged, there is no going back.

5 hours ago, CocoPops said:

once MXLotus is part exchanged, there is no going back.

Why would you ever want to go back to an inferior product?

Lotus needs to take a long hard look in the mirror as they really have half arsed this and shat on some owners. So short sighted.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 3 weeks later...

Attended the Festival of Speed this week and took the opportunity to visit the Lotus stand and vent my frustration regarding the Lotus/Aim saga on FE cars

I spoke to the Retail Development Director who was unaware of the issue but 

agreed to ‘take ownership of my concerns’ and will investigate and come back to me.

I have also spoken to B&C the supplier of my car and they are also addressing this matter with Lotus.

I would encourage all FE owners to continue to berate their dealers and Lotus direct to resolve this pathetic situation.

I’ll give an update as and when I get a response.

I’ve had emails from Matt Windle saying they won’t do anything about it.

so I can’t see a retail director changing that.

I fully agree 👍

I think it's out of order that they've abandoned Elise/Exige already and they've not even got a production Emira/Eletre in a a customers hands yet.

Especially for something which is basically just a firmware update on cars that are already in the wild. I don't think they need to do any approvals or certs for that do they? Even if they put lots of disclaimers and caveats etc I think it'll be nice for us to have the option of unlocking those features which are already built in via hardware

Fully agree. That’s what I tried to say to Matt Windle, who simply responded and said “if it’s any help, the Emira includes those features”

🙄

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

“if it’s any help, the Emira includes those features”

This must be entered into a competition for the most "inept" response by a CEO. I am sure Matt is a very nice, very effective, guy, but even he must look in the mirror re that response and see just how poor it is. Can you imagine a similar conversation between Matt and his wife - "Matt, our new fridge is missing the ice dispenser we said was such a desirable feature". "Don't worry dear, I'll buy a freezer and you can put some ice in that".

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Just an update on my earlier post regarding my discussions with Lotus representatives at the FOS.

Surprise ,Surprise I have received the standard reply which several of you have already shared.

Before replying to Lotus does anyone have a contact/or have confirmation  from Aim that they can update/install software if they were given access by Lotus?