Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 30 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

On 11/01/2022 at 20:13, Paul_D said:

I know it's nice having an all-in-one system, but personally I'd find paying £1000 for a Smartycam with 1280x720 pixels @ 30 fps quite hard to swallow when you can get a GoPro that does 4K @ 60fps with better picture quality for around £250. 

I know the Smartycam is tough (and that's probably needed when it's mounted on the external roll bar of a Caterham or Radical), but the inside of an Elise / Exige is quite a mild environment.  

I was the same originally going Solo2 and Smartycam in a previous car when the phone app and gopro sorta worked. But the Gopro and I think this is still the case, had to be manually focused every power up if mounted way back in the cabin to get a decent video. If you didn't sometimes it would only focus in the car and sunny day you'd see nothing out the windshield. Whatever the technical term was, it was stupid and had no software fix.

Smartycam/Dash combo all you need to remember to do is switch from road to track and it does the rest. 

That all said, no idea why I even have video recorded. Skim though it once, see my lap was rather average and then never again haha

@miniwog You're right, that is a bit of an annoyance. It used to be called Spot Metering on the earlier GoPros, and it was an option you could leave on automatically. The exposure would be set using the centre of the view, rather than the entire scene. In a car, having the exposure set using the entire scene generally results in the interior looking great, and the important outside view being a massively over exposed bright mess.

On the newer GoPro it's called Exposure Control and you have to turn it on every time you power up by holding your finger on the screen. It can't even be turned on using the app. Quite inconvenient if your camera is mounted on a harness bar.

For me personally it's only a minor issue though. I don't want to worry about battery life, so I have the GoPro connected to the 12v socket all day. Get to the track day, plug in GoPro, turn on exposure control, mount it on the harness bar and then leave it powered up the rest of the day. With the Hero 8 it even has voice control, so I don't even need to reach over and press the button. Get strapped in, helmet on, and then just say "GoPro, start recording".

On 28/01/2022 at 19:29, Paul_D said:

@miniwog You're right, that is a bit of an annoyance. It used to be called Spot Metering on the earlier GoPros, and it was an option you could leave on automatically.

Yeah I had an earlier one that worked great and when it died I could not understand why they did such as a regression on a great feature.

I agree the smartycam is very expensive and overkill but the set and forget nature is great. Guess most people here don't need much of an excuse to buy stuff for their cars haha!

Given the OEM dash has an updated UI, I'm interested to see if/how the track specific stuff (timings and delta etc) works. It would seem weird for them to accomodate the track stuff in the new UI if it was never intended to be used.

image.thumb.png.e5e148a2c049ce1feed904892ad86d6b.png

Yep. Can’t get the dash to recognise camera.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

16 hours ago, Inversed said:

Great, that's nice, my gps module just got delivered few days ago. As far as I understand its should be taped to inside side of top binnacle, correct?

Did you order direct from AIM ?

Hey,

from 1.1.2022 there are no customs for the car parts manufactured in the EU or UK. So if you buy a car part from the UK and it’s  made in UK (or EU), there are no customs. However, if it’s written that the part is made somewhere else, you pay customs 🙂

I’ve bought Hell Slow (GFWilliams) mirror set set in January. It was quite simple compared to the November 2021 when I’ve bought harness bar from the MSAR. Procedure was a real pain, so were the customs 😂

9 minutes ago, Toqcars said:

It was quite simple compared to the November 2021 when I’ve bought harness bar from the MSAR. Procedure was a real pain, so were the customs 😂

Which harness bar did you buy?  Does it fit the Exige ok behind the carbon seats?

Got the SL (Seriously Lotus) harness bar. However, can confirm the fit, because still waiting for the Schroth harnesses. Few users successfully fitted it into the 380 and 410. Check this topic, there are pictures of it:

This is really valuable information. I'm hoping the reversing camera can be installed at a later stage somehow as I would value that more than the GPS module for the AiM dash.

In the meantime does anyone know if cruise control is just plug and play with the Final Edition 390 if it wasn't optioned originally? I'm yet to receive my car but have the stalk already from my last car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lueysgarage said:

In the meantime does anyone know if cruise control is just plug and play with the Final Edition 390 if it wasn't optioned originally? I'm yet to receive my car but have the stalk already from my last car.

It would likely still need activating in the ECU