Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 16 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Hi all , today’s problem is no output from the alternator when engine is running. It’s a Chrysler one.  It has 12 volt power from solenoid to alternator. There’s a smaller wire coming from inside alternator going to the loom, which when the ignition turned on but no engine running is registering around 6volts. I was expecting 12volts. Am I correct or not ?  

Tony 

15 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

Hi all , today’s problem is no output from the alternator when engine is running. It’s a Chrysler one.  It has 12 volt power from solenoid to alternator. There’s a smaller wire coming from inside alternator going to the loom, which when the ignition turned on but no engine running is registering around 6volts. I was expecting 12volts. Am I correct or not ?  

This is for the ignition light?  There is warning light sensor and it 6v. Pretty sure could be wrong 🤔 

I think the Chrysler unit was only fitted to cars with a/c - it will be a matter of finding something that physically fits, unless you're happy fabricating brackets etc..  It also has a separate voltage regulator - most alternatives will have one built in;  just a matter of altering the loom to suit.  I inherited parts of a Chrysler alternator with my resto project - if you manage to find the problem some of the bits might help.

Pete

Hi Pete , I agree it was fitted with a/c , but has been removed by previous owners.  Yes there’s still a voltage regulator on inner wing. 
I have a Lucas one off the spare engine but that’s seized solid. Mounting is the same , but takes the euro plug. Chrysler one has bolt on power cable from solenoid.  Guess I should be able to alter wires and do away with regulator. 
Need to offer it to the engine mount and see if there’s clearance between alternator and air box. 

2178C16D-EF15-4636-A9B2-6928FE994C54.jpeg

6E383A6E-A237-4D45-B499-20FAAE0FA9A1.jpeg

Tony 

Hi Williamtherebel  just taking the alternator apart, and cleaned it and back on the car. It’s now charging, wicked, but it’s putting out around 16volts.  Not sure but on my 1986 mini charging reads14.7 volts maximum. So  whether it’s correct on the elite or the voltage regulator is faulty. Off to do some research.  

Tony 

Although it's not much use to you (!) there is a small workshop near Reading, Berkshire (http://burghfieldstarterandalternatorcentre.co.uk/home/3150447where they repair old alternators and starter motors. An old school type of place. Not much more than a large shed. He looked at my alternator, spent 15 minutes going over it, and couldn't find anything wrong. He would not take any money for his time. (When I reconnected the alternator everything worked fine - It must have been a bad connection).

You may have luck finding a similar business nearer to you.

Tony

• Like 1

Now as I think alternator is sorted now onto getting it weather proof.  Have all the glass except front screw.  
Have the trim in good to not so good state, except near side top rail, but have a spare off side one which I might be able to modify to fit. 
The only piece I don’t have is off trim that rivets to body to fix screen trim too. Guess I will need to make something there. 

7ECC7C25-2AA9-4BE9-B2E4-DB1D75EEE5B0.jpeg

Tony 

Today has been trim day, sorting out what I have and have not. So I think it’s all got to be sprayed as some are already black , some damaged and three pieces missing.  One of the three is near side roof trip , but I have two off side so think I could modify that spare one. 
Missing trip I think is near side internal fixed glass trim ,off side one had been squashed but I’ve managed to save that. 
The remaining missing trim is off side piece that attaches windscreen vertical trim to body. 
Also do I spray them black or silver? I think silver/aluminium.  

Tony 

On 16/04/2021 at 16:38, Doris the dog said:

Hi Williamtherebel  just taking the alternator apart, and cleaned it and back on the car. It’s now charging, wicked, but it’s putting out around 16volts.  Not sure but on my 1986 mini charging reads14.7 volts maximum. So  whether it’s correct on the elite or the voltage regulator is faulty. Off to do some research.  

Glad you got it going. I DO have a spare, So if there are any probs down the line let me know.

alt-1.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony

AFIK they should be thermostatically controlled and come on at a set temp. Mine come's on automatically if the temp gauge goes just over the halfway mark. Possibly the PO has bypassed the thermo control and fitted a manual switch some where, and it doesnt work properly any longer or because of over heating  issues it has to work all the time!! If you an otter switch it may be that is the problem and doesnt any longer work as it should? 

Angus

Hi Pete , it’s a bit Heinz 57. It did have aircon. But long gone. Wiring has been altered over its life. As it has two battery leads , one has a cable spliced into it with a 35amp fuse holder at its end. 

Tony 

6 hours ago, Angus553 said:

Hi Tony

AFIK they should be thermostatically controlled and come on at a set temp. Mine come's on automatically if the temp gauge goes just over the halfway mark. Possibly the PO has bypassed the thermo control and fitted a manual switch some where, and it doesnt work properly any longer or because of over heating  issues it has to work all the time!! If you an otter switch it may be that is the problem and doesnt any longer work as it should? 

Angus

Hi Angus, thought that was wrong , and should cut in when hot. Yes it has otter switch, had a broken connection until yesterday.  Need to look at wiring diagram  

Tony