Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 24 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I see your car does not have the dividing strip between bottom and top shell. At my car these were left out as well presumably when it had a respray decades ago. They probably filled the split gap but it does not hold - there is a crack in the paint here and there between top & bottom. Something to improve when the car gets a respray but that is low on the list for now.

How is your car holding up at this point? Paint crack-less? 

On 14/09/2021 at 13:14, Doris the dog said:

Just paint removed think it looks better in aluminium 

Are you leaving the hinges black?

To be honest , I’m not sure 🤔 the black with the blue seems to stop the hinges from standing out.  If I remove the black paint and the aluminium was in poor condition I could flatten any pitting then lacquer the hinges for aluminium finish.  
Think it’s a decision that will just happen or if enough people say one or the other.  
🥴

Tony 

I had the hinges on my last elite re-plated as they were pitted - but that was over 20 years ago - they still looked good when the car was sold.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tony D said:

Early cars had Ali hinges, later cars were chrome plated brass lumps. Think yours will be the Ali ones and I'd leave black for now. 

Tony 

Yep - silver painted aluminium on earliest cars.

Pete

12 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Parts list has the change after vin  528A.

Interestingly, my car (365B) has chromed hinges.
What meaning does the A or B suffix have on the chassis number?

Edited by Dion

13 minutes ago, Dion said:

What meaning does the A or B suffix have on the chassis number?

A are domestic cars..

DSCF2765.JPG

54 minutes ago, Angus553 said:

Hi Tony

On mine it just sits there dangling at each footwell and not attached to anything.   

Angus did you change your lights to electric motors ?  I’ve just gone back onto doing mine.  
just need a slight mod to the first on to extend the travel by a few millimetres, but looks if it should be good.  

The two door seals that came with the elite, on a quick fitting seem to be around 80 / 90mm short.  

545E52E0-B0B2-455B-BE8A-B567A18BB8F3.jpeg

Tony 

Hi Tony have got the MX5 motors and the relays for the lights  but not fitted as have no brackets, as you said you could make them for me. Happy to come over and wire up your lights if you  need it. 

Looks like the door seal may not be the right size!!