Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 15 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Yes you would think so. However Ive never had a problem with weather coming through.  The top has room for the model number (see photo). whichever number yours is? I have got a number Ive got a "world champion one the same size.

501 badge.jpg

37 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

My black trim has never had anything e.g. mesh etc I was told 30 years ago just to remember never to spray the hosepipe into the trim when washing! 

Same here ive only got the black trim. Does seem it should have something in there though! 

Another confirmation there is no mesh in the black B post trim on mine either.

This trim is retained by rivets to the door reveal at the leading edge ( then the door seal clips over both pieces). At the rear, there's just a blob of black silicon adhesive on each of the legs that return to the main body. I notice from photo's you have two holes at the top where the chrome bezel and model number fit. Very early cars didn't have the badge, but by P reg, pretty sure it would have. Do you have the badges? Might be able to help out if you don't, but not sure which model I have. I think 501, which would spec a manual car with no A/c or power steering, but would need to check.

Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Parts required,two trim pieces. First missing from the car is drivers side aluminium angle that attaches screen vertical trim to the shell. 
Second trim piece is passenger side top rail that runs length of roof. ( have two drivers side)
Is there any company that still makes these or does anyone have either I can buy please.

Tony B  

8D20E6AA-4C69-4A76-B6A4-07CBF26FC005.jpeg

B2B9908F-8C8E-4FB3-B688-2BE28FA3933A.jpeg

Tony 

Tony

May be able to help out on the roof rail. Definitely not got an A post piece, but if Lotus Bit's have one, I'm only 30 minutes away, so could pick up for you. 

I'll check out what I can spare and PM you. 

Tony 

• Like 1

Thanks Tony for that very kind offer.  I will give them a call, but I would not want you to go there specially for me. If they have one they can post it.  
Progress has been very slow on the Elite the last couple of months, had to put another engine/ gearbox in my sprinter. 
A quick question on the trim that follows the roof line , it’s fastened and sealed on its flange , but is the face that’s meets the roof just open and not sealed.  So water runs down to fixed flange ?  Does that make sense?

Thanks 

Tony B

Tony 

Tony: Good news / Bad news.

Good news is I have a LH trim ( in fact I have both sides) as spares, and it ( they ) have no dents. Bad news is that 30 years ago when I started my restoration, I planned on doing bright work and bumpers in body colour, so roughened the surface with maybe 180 grit to get a good key.🙄🙄  Ironically I only roughed the Near side, but Off side is quite marked and pitted in any case. 

There are places around that can re polish and re anodise these trims (in fact there is one local to me in Northampton that I believe some on this forum have used). Could be costly though.

Alternative is there have been recent posts on applying a vinyl covering to mimic brushed Stainless. The ones I have would be a fine base for this approach certainly.

All depends what condition your other pieces are in and how much you want to replicate standard. Mine are available if they suit your needs. Let me know.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all at last back onto the Elite. 
First question is what size battery do you use. Online it suggests a 048  45ah 390 A

But the Eclat they suggest 096 75ah 700 A

I can see the 048 battery is smaller size in length and width but taller.  
But like the extra power of 096. 
Does the car cope ok with the smaller battery. 
regards

Tony

Tony 

Hi Tony

Have  2 batteries for my elite. type 065  55ah and 515A size 17.5mm(h) 17mm(d) 24mm(w) and 075xd 62ah 620A same size but 0.5mm higher. Both are slightly to wide for the the recess but sold as fitting correctly, they both sit around 2/3rds in the recess and the cover fits on well. Although 1 is more powerful it doesnt appear to be any different in reality. The eclat battery could be for an auto which is always more powerful and is fitted in the engine bay. 

Hi Angus

Have put one of my mini ( car ) batteries on it to fire it up after sitting there since July.  And doesn’t really turn over very fast. So not had it running this year.  It did run up several times last year , don’t remember altering anything , checked fuel is to carbs , the spark at plugs looks quite weak.  So a bit of backwards work to do. 

Tony 

Right I’m now back to where I was a year ago, it’s running again.  Cleaned all the battery leads (two of them ) and contacts on solenoid plus new fuel ️ and instant fire up.   

Question , do all Elites have twin battery cables, or is it mine that they must have run out of large diameter cable so used two smaller diameter ones , plus had to join one of them with lugs and a nut and bolt midway of drivers door. 

Tony 

On 08/04/2021 at 15:17, Doris the dog said:

Right I’m now back to where I was a year ago, it’s running again.  Cleaned all the battery leads (two of them ) and contacts on solenoid plus new fuel ️ and instant fire up.   

Question , do all Elites have twin battery cables, or is it mine that they must have run out of large diameter cable so used two smaller diameter ones , plus had to join one of them with lugs and a nut and bolt midway of drivers door. 

Mine isnt like that! Maybe they ran out of cable. 

As it moved yesterday, only a metre I thought I would pump up the tyres. Compressor ready, started to unscrew dust cap and air started to come out.  On inspection no valve core. That tyre has maintained good pressure for over a year , by the dust cap.  
whoever pumped it up did a good job to get cap on before it went flat. 

• Haha 1

Tony 

4 minutes ago, Doris the dog said:

On inspection no valve core.

Trying to add lightness to the car. Take it was just 1 missing..