Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 23 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Tony

The stainless steel trim below the doors is held by 11 plastic or steel clips. Both available from SJ Sportscars

The steel ones are A075W6058Z.  52p +vat

A075W6058Z.jpg?mod=86

Plastic ones are A075W6116F 54p +vat

A075W6116F SILL TRIM CLIP  (plastic type)

Pesonally I will be using the stainless ones

• Like 1

Thanks👍 So the clips are fitted to body then St. St. trim springs over clips.  So mine have been drilled and fitted straight on by a previous owner.
Really should have asked this question before they went away with rest of trim.  😩  I will Tig weld holes an polish it myself 

Tony 

Sorry to increase your trim woes, but there should be no holes in that stainless trim - they are held on with invisible fixings.  I think there is a plastic "plug" that fits in the ends as well.

Pete

Edit - didn't see all the above posts - thought I was at the end of the thread!  🙄

• Like 1

Well I’m just in the right mind to start putting on the TRIM, straight away I have a question, the cant rail that follows the roof line I now it’s fitted with double sided tape plus screws. From the workshop manual it looks if the screws are put in from inside the car. Not sure that is correct as you would see the sharp end off screws above the doors.  
Can anyone help please. 
regards

Tony

Tony 

The front ones screw into "spire nuts" that also retain the little tubes that locate the cant rails.  You need screws to match your spire nuts.  You don't need to worry about the headlining - these fixings get nowhere near it.

The rear screws just screw straight into the aluminium trim from the inside - so the screw size needs to suit the holes already there.  Don't forget the countersunk screws that retain the little cant rail tubes at the rear - they usually have some silicone mastic smeared over them on the outside.

However - I'm doing none of this!!  I'm going to use small stainless flange head Torx-drive bolts - all from the outside (you still need countersunk screws for the rear little tubes).

Pete

NOW a question, my Elite 1976 has no power assist braking system, it has air conditioning heater , but no compressor or anything in engine bay.  So what do I badge it as , 501 or 504 as I have both.  
What do you think.  
regards 

Tony

22DC1340-524F-4BED-A6AF-D9B975EEE433.jpeg

Tony 

If you want to use some original badges, I'd say 501. 

But if originality isn't important to you, why not get some bespoke badges made. Label suppliers offer suitable materials that would be weather proof. 

Tony 

Early cars did not have the model variant, see comments in the video/photo thread, or could use the world champion badge as on the s2.

2 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

You mean power assisted steering - you definitely have power assisted brakes!  😉

My vote is 501 as it's not an auto either is it?

Pete

Yep Steering.  🥴

2 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

You mean power assisted steering - you definitely have power assisted brakes!  😉

My vote is 501 as it's not an auto either is it?

Pete

No auto Pete

Tony 

504 was the automatic version of the Elite.

501 was the base model with manual steering and no air con. 

There was also 502 and 503 models.

As mentioned, early cars didn't have badges but I'm not sure when that changed. :) 

It's getting there......

The PVC trim that is glued to the outside of rear quarter light glass , I have a pair that go under gutter trim , but neither ones that match at the front near door post. But I have one which is too long for the vertical one and too short for top one. 
Before I cut it to make vertical trim , does it go somewhere else ?

Bottom one in photo 

7A078C96-4056-4191-8267-3DD2DECE8A44.jpeg

Tony 

Thanks Pete , not a major issue , I can make up the missing one from aluminium and paint it Matt black.  
So much trim on the Elite.  
Also having one Elite and nearly two thirds of a second one , it’s amazing how there’s always parts missing , or you have more than you need. 
I have spare chassis, engine / gearbox , wheels, glass but not a piece of PVC plastic to hide the adhesive holding in rear quarter glass 😂

• Haha 1

Tony 

Right final piece of glass , the divider between boot and rear seats, another question HELP please   

In the photo mine has black woolly material at either end of the opening for glass.  So do I glue both top and bottom and not the ends of the glass or ….  I would have thought it should be fully glued to stop any fumes from the tank and pump.  

6F45858F-8DC4-41C7-BCF4-FB202353160F.jpeg

Tony 

Do you have this trim surround?

210908a.jpg.147851d61781b312d56d8c3d78d43d3a.jpg

I don't recognise the 2 woolly bits you speak of. My glass bonds all all edges into a rebate in the fibreglass. This trim piece then tidies it all up.

Tony