Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 26 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

The heater assembly should have a thick (~1/2") piece of foam stuck to the front that "seals" around the black plastic vents as they are inserted.  It usually disintegrates and needs replacing.

Pete

Are they these - manual says 2 relays if RHD with air con. Assume one does not work then.

DSCF2960.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Are they these - manual says 2 relays if RHD with air con. Assume one does not work then.

DSCF2960.JPG

Thanks exeterjeep, that helps hopefully can track on wiring diagram to get correct wires to terminals

Tony 

So you have the rhd wiring diagram then, did not know if you had the whole manual or not. 

Well, I’ve left the electrics for another day as had a delivery of door seals.  Have now fitted pair of door seals and the tailgate seal.  I notice there is a secondary seal on tailgate mentioned in the manual, which I believe is a plastic strip.  Not really checked that out yet.  
Also I have been learning trimming skills , trimming centre tunnel, and both side panels in the footwell.  Trim is black leather already shaped and stitched from company on eBay.  
For a total novice it’s not too bad. 

Tony 

14 minutes ago, Doris the dog said:

I notice there is a secondary seal on tailgate mentioned in the manual, which I believe is a plastic strip.

I think that is the one that got added to prevent/reduce water getting the boot from the top edge. From memory they split but as you say were just a strip of plastic. The workshop manual has a bulletin on it I think...

DSCF2809.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony

Can you tell me the length of the rod you made up that runs from the ball joint of the MX5 motor to the  joining rod in the light pod including the ball joints.  Does the m6 ball joint  fit over the MX5 joint ?? 

Thanks  Angus

Edited by Angus553

Hi Angus, nope on my set up I cut off the ball on the mx5 motor, and drilled it 6mm to take the new ball joint thread and bolted it on.  For this to get enough travel to raise the light pod, I moved the fixing holes for the rod that the tie rod fixes further to the rear of pod. Some have lengthened the motor arm, to increase circle diameter.  
The m6 studding rods from memory probably 180mm , but for me it was trial and error, not calculated, when brains were handed out there was a shortage , like fuel , gas and quality street.  
Mine still needs fine tuning, as direct wired by jump leads from starter motor.  

• Like 1

Tony 

Today for a change from trim, I decided to try and do some electrics , as only side lights are working.  
The Elites wiring loom has been modified in several places over its life , but it’s a job that have to be done.  
After trial and one error ( hot wire and puff of smoke) I’ve managed to get the indicators working , but not the hazards. 
My question is the wiring diagram shows two small flasher units , which I have but also I have a plastic unit which is the one that is working , is the plastic one a replacement for the two small Lucas ones or are they for the hazards.  

You may notice that the smaller unit is missing a terminal, I’ve managed to solder another terminal on it. 

42C9BC6C-3F0F-44C8-9DC7-C66753D8B144.jpeg

Tony 

In the original set-up the flasher unit supplied by the green/light green wire is the "normal " flasher unit (current to bulbs via column stalk switch)  and the unit supplied by the purple wire is the "hazard" flasher unit (current to bulbs via hazard switch).

Pete

• Thanks 1

Yep - that's right - 5 wires on switch.  However - you should have a green/red and a green/white - you appear to have two green/white.

Next - do you have 12v on the light green/pink wire at the switch?

Pete

Well today I’ve ordered two front seat diaphragms.  
This is the result of again feeling let down by “professional “ people not doing what they’ve agreed to do.  So front seats that I was going to have upholstered with the rears, and rear side panels will be now done by me. 
As the main problem with fronts is the perished and cracked diaphragms , they are coming with  hog rings ( thick that’s what they are called). 
Then if successful I will track down some suitable seat covers and run with them till I find someone willing to carry out the work. 

Tony 

14 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Where have you ordered your seat diaphragms from?  The nearest I can find (but haven't bought yet) are for a classic mini.

Pete

Pete, Ang-classiccarparts  Nottingham 

Just now, Doris the dog said:

Pete, Ang-classiccarparts  Nottingham 

Sorry pressed send to soon , yes mini ones

15” X 15 1/2” 

Tony