Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 28 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Sorry Dave I’m not that knowledgeable on the Lotus range to say. I haven’t ever driven a Lotus.  If you need the dimensions I can get them for you. They fit very well on the Elite seat but again I’ve never done any seat upholstery before.  Looks good to me. 

Tony 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

the wooden one is.  
Im sure someone will know !!

the wooden thing has the sort of shape of the rear seatbelt mounting plate??

Can't tell what size that is - but it should be metal with a couple for holes or retailed nuts. Maybe it is a sort of template for this to get made? I have had these made in the past, as they rust away.

I would think one is the battery cover and the other is the fuel pump cover in the other side of the trunk/boot. 

The remains of the straps are what held the car jack or tool kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doris the dog said:

Thanks , didn’t think about the fuel pump.  Need to make a new one as it’s got woodworm.  

None of my eclats had a fuel pump cover, but as yours is an elite, I seem to recall there was one on mine, and that black thing visible - is that a rubber piece in it with a bit of a hook?

I also seem to recall that the battery cover had another layer in which the jack and handle could be stored, but it usually fell out.

Hi Tony  

Havent seen or heard of a fuel pump cover. It looks like youve got 2 halves of the battery cover. Have refurbed mine using as much of the original as possible. Hope this helps?? See photo.20211103_143727.thumb.jpg.c35f28d26093dd15d82fa31279eac209.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that I’m missing the rear seat lap belts for the Elite.  Only parts I have are the four holes in the body. 
Is there any after market ones I can fit. 
regards

-----------

Just found them at SJ sports cars. 😀

Tony 

These were not fitted on my fist elite or my first excel. I just bought some standard lap belts from a car parts store near me and fitted them myself. I did have to buy new brackets that fit underneath the glass fibre body seats. Did then move them from my elite to my first excel.

For the second car I had to get some of the underneath brackets made up by my local garage, as they were no longer available from lotus.

• Thanks 1

Lotus Bit's are doing Stainless lap belt supports. 

Watch out though because I believe there are slight differences between the forms of the Elites and later Excels. I don't know where / when the change came. 

Tony 

As I’ve finished trimming the rear quarter panels   Made cover panels for the butchered apertures for access to brakes , I’m back to the trim around the internal glass.  As the glass was removed when I bought the car, I have a teaser with the trim. There is material from the boot space near the fuel tank hoses that is glued onto the recess aperture for the glass through to behind rear seats. So both ends the same , but not the top or bottom of the aperture.  
Is it the car has been trimmed without the glass , you surly don’t bond glass to material !!!

All a bit confusing, as the cable that operates the tailgate , and attached to the plastic pocket in the rear quarter, there’s a hole in the plastic pocket but no hole through the leatherette that lines the pocket.  Also no marks on the plastic where the cable back washer and nut would have been tightened on it.  
🤔 

Tony 

'Is it the car has been trimmed without the glass , you surly don’t bond glass to material !!!'

.....mine was trimmed and then the glass put in as the material was embedded in the bonding material, leading to poorly bonded glass!

• 3 weeks later...

Well divider glass now in place.  Bit of a struggle down to phone call just as I had put adhesive on the glass.  Had to go out but all ok eventually.  
Front and rear seats of to trimmers in February.  So that leave’s headlining for me to do, and one front door card. 
Now only missing a front spoiler . 

Tony 

Would have thought it is a matter of choice as to what you like the look of.

Have no special knowledge of fitting though, you could check with SJ in case they know of any issues.

• Like 1

I've bought the series one style for my car (1974) - not fitted yet buy quality reasonably good.  If you order one I'd try and buy one without any fixing holes in it - they are nearly an inch in diameter!!  SJ never seems to get things quite right.  Also took a couple of months to get it.

Pete

42 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

they are nearly an inch in diameter!!

Pete, I think the large holes are positioned where the lower rad fixing bolts are, hence just clearance around the bolt heads. IIRC, there are 3 off 8mm bolts holding it on, so you may have a blank template to add your own fixing points. 

Tony 

• Like 1