Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit X180 1988 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit X180 1988

Rob1234

Hi Guys , My Esprits Battery was low, it started ok but I noticed the lights being dimmer than normal. I took car to the end of the drive way and it stopped. I tried to start but I was getting a click click clicking noise. I pushed car back to my garage and change over a brand new battery. There is a click when I turn the key. The click noise is coming from a unit fixed on the drivers side (UK car) in the upper rear panel. My lights and radio etc all work so im pretty sure its not a battery connection. Any thoughts?

Thanks Guys Robert 

By upper rear panel do you mean above the fuel tank.   From memory you only have the  tank sender  and purge pump in that area.

On 31/01/2020 at 16:13, Neil Potter said:

Do you have an immobilisor?

Yes I have an immobiliser Neil 

1 minute ago, Rob1234 said:

Yes I have an immobiliser Neil 

Any ideas? Much appreciated 

7 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Link out the immob to rule that out

Thanks Barry. I think my immobiliser is in foot well of passengers seat. Is it a big job to link out? 

Just now, Rob1234 said:

Thanks Barry. I think my immobiliser is in foot well of passengers seat. Is it a big job to link out? 

Under glove box 

• Gold FFM

Depends on the location of the device and the make - they pretty much all work the same way. Pop me a PM if you need some guidance - this sort of activity isn’t best openly explained. 

Only here once

I would start by charging the battery (assuming it will hold a charge), they all tend to make a clicking noise when the battery is too low to turn the engine over.

If it all seems OK with a fully charged battery you should probably check the alternator and the ability of the battery to hold a charge.

I would expect mucking about with the immobiliser is less straight forward than it sounds.

cheers

-Chris 

This what you're looking for? The manual says 88-92, but I'm sure an 87 X180 should be the same?

Filip

NA start-charging.pdf

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.