Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fit and Finish on Evora GT - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fit and Finish on Evora GT

Ccd

My sense is that the fit and finish issues have steadily improved each year on the Evora.   My question is whether people are experiencing issues with the latest version (at least for the USA) or have they finally ironed everything out?

Love the fit and finish on my 2010 Evora. 65,000 miles and still looks and feels fab. And I don't think the look was improved with the (cheaper to make) revamp in 2016. What it may have gained in solidity, it lost in style. 

Justin 

• Like 1

The fit and finish on my 15 Sport Racer is probably the best I've seen n any car I've owned. The car feels like a tank. Put 15k on the clock this year and still as tight as a drum. I imagine the GT will be even better!

Here is what I have seen here and elsewhere.  You get a Lotus, particularly one brand new, and you spend months getting it sorted out.  Generally not major issues, but a bunch of small issues, many of which should never have gotten out of the factory.  After hassling with your dealer and Lotus, things do get sorted and the car is fine thereafter.  

That HAS to change.  Such a scenario might work if you can get your car to the Lotus factory, but if you live across the pond, this is just not acceptable.  Even for a US used car, it is unacceptable because any purchaser of a used Lotus has to wonder if everything was sorted out or whether the owner just gave up and decided to sell the car.

This thread is really directed to new car owners and asking if this has changed, hopefully for the better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smapmap said:

The fit and finish on my 15 Sport Racer is probably the best I've seen n any car I've owned. The car feels like a tank. Put 15k on the clock this year and still as tight as a drum. I imagine the GT will be even better!

I agree with this. My 14 is the same. Usual silly niggles but that’s it!  Apparently the SR’s were the most expensive to produce Evoras to date despite the upgraded super chargers etc on newer models!!

• Like 1

I have a 2018 Evora Sport 410 and the fit and the fit and finish is bloody superb. Really nicely put together and everyone who has sat i my car (non Lotus fan boys) has been impressed with it and agrees it is a lovely place to be.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

@Ccd, now most people have confirmed that the cars are well built, gonna buy one?

Struggling to think what else this topic was for other than fishing for quality issues unless you're ready to pull the trigger? :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

He'll buy another German car - probably an RS3/4 or maybe and M4 ;)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

C8RKH:

You think so little of me.  IF I was going German, it would be either the MB AMG GT S or a 991.2 911 GTS  (with a manual).  As for this thread, given that the closest dealer is 3 hours from me, I was looking for confirmation that reliability has steadily improved with the Evora and is largely a non-isssue at this point.  My concern is not trivial: there are plenty of stories here and elsewhere of owners who have had fit and finish issues with the Evora.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ccd said:

I was looking for confirmation that reliability has steadily improved

I would have thought if that was what you were after, you would have asked about reliability rather than fit and finish?

You can find stories on the internet about any car and issues, there's no such thing as a perfect car and people mainly come online to forums etc looking for assistance with problems hence the stories being easy to find. On the whole, the Evora isn't really that bad compared to many other cars.

The reality is I believe that you absolutely will not buy one, no matter how good they are, until Lotus open a dealer down the road from you. I get this, it's reasonable and indeed practical, but don't see why you ask for answers, ignore/contradict them and mention again there's no dealer in DC. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

6 hours ago, Ccd said:

C8RKH:

You think so little of me.  IF I was going German, it would be either the MB AMG GT S or a 991.2 911 GTS  (with a manual).  As for this thread, given that the closest dealer is 3 hours from me, I was looking for confirmation that reliability has steadily improved with the Evora and is largely a non-isssue at this point.  My concern is not trivial: there are plenty of stories here and elsewhere of owners who have had fit and finish issues with the Evora.   

I would be fine with 3 hrs, I live in East Texas and must play with my friends in their Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Aston Martins, Porsche GT's with service only 2 1/2 hrs away in Dallas while mine is closer to 5 hrs in Austin.  What does it matter, the dealer picks it up in a truck either way.  What I did do is drive past the Porsche dealers and go me a car positioned between a 992.1 GT3 and GT3RS; the Evora GT is a fine car, just as my limited edition Sport 410 is.  Fit & finish, reliability, 3 yrs no issues.

• Like 2

I want to thank everyone for the responses they have given to my questions over the years.  To be clear, I came here to learn more about Lotus, not to bash Lotus.  If anyone cares, here are my final conclusions.  I asked about fit and finish, not reliability because the issues with the Evora have been fit and finish, not reliability.  My sense is that these issues have improved over time and was looking for confirmation of that.

I would buy a Lotus without a dealer near me.  However, I would NOT buy a new Lotus with no dealer near me.  My hat is off to those who are willing to drive 3-5 hours to get to the dealer, but that is simply not something I’m willing to do for a new car.  

I’ve gone back and forth over the years about cars that I would be happy with.  And to be honest, I’ve tried to disqualify the Lotus, but it keeps coming back on my shopping list.  There are two cars that I am actively watching prices on:  one is the Evora 400 (the GT is frankly too new to have any used examples on the market) and the other car is NOT German (NSX).  

I get the impression that I have tried the patience of some people here, but it takes time to get comfortable with the idea of buying and owning a Lotus and I doubt that I am unique in that regard.

Best of luck to everyone.

56 minutes ago, Ccd said:

I want to thank everyone for the responses they have given to my questions over the years.  To be clear, I came here to learn more about Lotus, not to bash Lotus.  If anyone cares, here are my final conclusions.  I asked about fit and finish, not reliability because the issues with the Evora have been fit and finish, not reliability.  My sense is that these issues have improved over time and was looking for confirmation of that.

I would buy a Lotus without a dealer near me.  However, I would NOT buy a new Lotus with no dealer near me.  My hat is off to those who are willing to drive 3-5 hours to get to the dealer, but that is simply not something I’m willing to do for a new car.  

I’ve gone back and forth over the years about cars that I would be happy with.  And to be honest, I’ve tried to disqualify the Lotus, but it keeps coming back on my shopping list.  There are two cars that I am actively watching prices on:  one is the Evora 400 (the GT is frankly too new to have any used examples on the market) and the other car is NOT German (NSX).  

I get the impression that I have tried the patience of some people here, but it takes time to get comfortable with the idea of buying and owning a Lotus and I doubt that I am unique in that regard.

I would buy Evora 400 if I were you. As you say, any niggles should have been fixed, you ain't going to lose much on it if you decide it is not for you. Most likely, you will wonder why you wasted a few years not buying one before. You can trade to a 410 later, if you wish.

NSX is heavy and a quite different experience to a Lotus.

Good luck and I hope you do take the plunge.

Justin

3 hours ago, Ccd said:

get the impression that I have tried the patience of some people here, but it takes time to get comfortable with the idea of buying and owning a Lotus and I doubt that I am unique in that regard.

Not me! I'd love to see you in a Lotus, I really would. Keep on bashing away bud! I just think for the reason you just articulated the timing re dealers, support etc may not be in your favour, hence German right now would be easier/safer. Good luck!

The small print.

Not an evora but my old exige 350 had loads of teething problems, mainly caused by a poor dealer based in Oxfordshire who kept either damaging my car or not putting it back properly.

my cup430 however is much better in terms of fit and finish and has required no follow ups at all. 

I would negotiate a price before you go, visit the dealer and drive one. As soon as you do all the worries will fade away! Manage the dealer like you would a plumber with a snagging list and take control, then you won’t go wrong. 

Fully understand where the OP is coming from with this , as even a 100 mile round trip was an annoyance for me to “fettle” something on the car. When you are busy at work and family life, your spare time becomes very precious and I would much rather being enjoying a car than spending time getting it fixed.  

On average for every car (4 in total) I bought from the dealership, which was never new , but always between 3-24 months old , I would have 3 round trips to sort out problems on the car. 

That said once the niggles were sorted the cars were fine and the dealer was always excellent to deal with. 

Would it put me off buying another Lotus.  Hmmmm it would be a factor, as I said before my spare time is precious. If the car was picked up and dropped off by trailer, then not a problem, but this is a small car company that can’t afford that level of service or let’s be blunt the customer ends up paying for it anyway ;) 

So yes when the time came to replace the Exige, I did consider car marques that had more local dealers as part of the equation and ended up with an AMG GT Roadster. A great car albeit different to a Lotus. Motortrend had the coupe win performance car of the year a few years back for those that have never driven one ;)

Anyway I digress.  Lotus is still my favourite car, supported by the fact I’ve owned 9 to date and am sure I will have another Evora at some point as think the GT styling of latest cars is epic.  I will just have to swallow the fact I’m a certain distance from the dealer for any fixes.

Hope that helps  

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2020 at 17:31, BatMobile said:

Not an evora but my old exige 350 had loads of teething problems, mainly caused by a poor dealer based in Oxfordshire who kept either damaging my car or not putting it back properly.

Wasn’t TH Boler by any chance was it?

Buy secondhand with a nationwide warranty and you need not bother/be bothered by Lotus dealers ever again; they're not complex cars, so most good garages can fix them. Also lower depreciation.

That's how I do it and I think it would work for the OP. As jep says, get a 400 that you've had a REALLY good look over/inspected and you'll likely be one happy camper.