Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hello.. from Porsche! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello.. from Porsche!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats, lovely looking caR @Dan.G and if I was being really picky (which I am) the red seat stripe and the brake calipers would have to be the same colour for me.

The GT3 is a good looking car and looks purposeful. I do find it disappointing when people compare interiors of say the Exige to a 911 - it's a bit like getting into a race car and complaining there is no carpet! The Exige is a track car for the road in its plushest form, whereas as the 911 starts out as a Dentists sitting room and morphs, as the GT3, into a serious performance vehicle. I don't really think you can compare the interiors at all.

Love the colour of your GT3 and I wish you all the best with it. I'm not a Porsche fan at all, however, I respect their "focused" cars like the GT3's etc and they are seriously capable and seriously desirable and have a lot of motorsport heritage in them (something Lotus does not seem to value any more!). 

Out of interest, what discounted the McLaren's for you and which ones did you look at? I'm looking at a lovely 570s and seriously considering going for it, not least because there is no service and warranty support from Lotus in Scotland currently!

All the best, have fun and enjoy the car. It's looks a cracker.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I have to agree, not quite apples for apples, and as I mentioned, its not really the first thing the lotus buyer is looking for, twas worth a mention though.

So, it was in fact the 570s that I was looking at too. It was the fastest car that I tested. They are mega. I still love the looks and would argue that they are nicer to look at over the GT3.

Why didnt I pull the trigger on one, well, I did, twice, but couldn't go through with it for these key reasons;

Depreciation, its real and heavy on these cars. I was looking at a 30k loss in a very short space of time. I know all cars depreciate but with a McLaren its huge sums and just not reasonable.

Reliability, they are poor. Each one that I looked at had an issue, seriously. One of which had faulty mirrors, peeling carbon and had only done about 2k miles. There are many other horror stories out there.

The dealerships, just not really there, happy to take your money and then argue with you thereafter.

In a nutshell, great cars, they really are, i love them but i just couldnt, you know.. if money isnt something you like to have then get a mclaren, if you have the patience of a saint, get a McLaren, they have epic performance.

1 minute ago, philcool said:

Fair enough honest opinions always welcome 

Will be haveing a go in the new Cayman GT4 this weekend so that should be interesting 

Add your thoughts to this thread if you like mate

• Like 1

Good write up @Dan.G

It is interesting to compare. And whilst it’s not apples for apples, I think we all Acknowledge  that whilst the interior is not the most important part of a lotus, in this day in age it should be much better. It could still be purposeful and have modern features. As a few have mentioned, including yourself, the brand support has steadily declined. No dealer in Scotland or approved service centre is beyond a joke. 

Glad you are enjoying your car though. It does look great. 

No worthwhile basis for a Porsche comparison myself, but I'm looking forward to how the forthcoming Lotus will play into it. Dare I hope it will take the best attributes of each with the performance aspects taken a notch above both by whatever hybrid system when power peaks required?

Edited by mdavies

Nice write up and good to read. Personally, 911 don't float my boat. 

I would think Evora more a comparable car to GT3 than Exige. 

McLaren are as close to Lotus as you can get as an alternative to Hethel. But faster. 12c is a bargain, still available from McLaren dealers with warranty. McLaren Birmingham are an ace service agent and now Bell Colvill fettle them too. The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

Justin 

• Love 1

I still prefer the 12c shape and those exhausts out the rear, yum yum...

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Hopefully someone can translate that one for me.

Visually, the Porsche product is the one thats lacking vs its rivals in the price range, I have to agree. I wouldnt say the GT3 is comparable to the evora though. A cooking model 911 maybe, but the GT3 is a more track focused car, as is the exige. That said, having owned both, the write up was based on a personal comparison.

I agree, I saw many similarities in the McLaren to the lotus. Some good, some not so. Theres no doubt that great deals can be had with Mclaren, mainly because they need to shift them ready for next weeks model!

2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I still prefer the 12c shape and those exhausts out the rear, yum yum...

Hmmm, in a classic grand tour tone, youre wrong.. the lines across the exhaust section just looks like the designer gave up. 'I dont know how to fill this gap, i know, useless lines' which will say vents unwanted heat.

I thought they were reminiscent of older gen Ferraris to be honest. See what you mean though. Still like the 12c design, it's very much like the S1 Evora, clean and unfussy.

• Like 1

The small print.

If we are rolling with the topic, the 600LT gets best McLaren design for me.

In total contrast to my comments previously, the 600LT is one where id happliy cope with dealerships, reliability and depreciation. I love them.

McLaren-600LT-Review-gear-patrol-slide-4.jpg

LT a bit fussy for my taste but I see the appeal. Aggressive look is vogue at the moment, the wheel will turn.

LT range is popular new but I am not so sure in the real world if you actually want to tour in a McLaren, that they are the right choice. Standard car in track mode is lairy enough. 

If you just use it for hooning, fair enough; but that is a lot of dough for a hoon and for most mortals, the lower Mc's can do 99% that a LT does. Some will insist on the fine margins but in reality you are dancing on the head of a pin.

Justin 

On 07/03/2020 at 09:29, C8RKH said:

Congrats, lovely looking caR @Dan.G and if I was being really picky (which I am) the red seat stripe and the brake calipers would have to be the same colour for me

Just picking up on this comment,

Porsche calipers come in 2 colours, red for steel, yellow for ceramic. Its not an option to change the colour unfortunately.

KennyN will confirm that I too hated the colour combo when I first saw it in pictures. I have to say, it has completely grown on me and actually works in the flesh. I wouldnt have chosen it but I dont mind it now.

There is/was another Miami sat with Colchester Porsche, that has a Miami cage, yellow belts and silver stripes. Some may argue it blends well but i think it looks like an accident at the skittles factory

• Like 1

I do love a funky interior and always seek out something different if given the choice. Ultimately, it is the car that counts and you soon forget the colour inside or out, if the car is engaging to drive and own.

I remember buying my Twingo 133, despite what I thought was a rubbish interior. Adore it now. OK, not GT3 money but you get the point.

Justin 

• Like 1

Well had a go in the new Cayman GT4 and very impressed as a note black calipers available but at £660 to have them changed from red ouch! .

Great gear change and the auto blip on down shifts superb, brand new car so diddent give it the full beans plus not mine either.

From other Porsches I've driven 7 in total the steering is a lot quicker and a tad more lock.

Nice engine note could hear the auxiliary drive belt behind the seats a bit and a nice unfussy steering wheel for once.

Very impressed 

IMG_20200308_103718933_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_102708531.jpg

So are you going to buy one? How does it compare to your Lotus? Etc?

The small print.

In a word no not because of any real problem with the Porsche just the Exige S2 240 is more raw which I like and cost me £30k and plenty quick enough for me bit to quick really.

Build quality no were near that if the Porsche as expected and the money side different ball game road tax £400+ a year for the first three years and car as tested £83k.

Not had a go in the S3 Exige 380-410 etc only sat in one so really need to compare these to the Porsche to be honest but haveing a run out in my S2 always makes me smile just because it's so different from anything else Porsche included._CM18599v1.jpg.217f799a3ca0e81c10bf08df103a15e7.jpg

• Like 1

That's a lovely looking Exige. Just the looks is enough to NOT go for the GT4.

The small print.

Thanks was lucky enough for it to be featured in Car magazine so went for a photo shoot at bicestor heritage for the day a while ago was in a group test and they let me keep the photos.

Cracking day 

• Like 2

On 09/03/2020 at 20:53, philcool said:

Well had a go in the new Cayman GT4 and very impressed as a note black calipers available but at £660 to have them changed from red ouch! .

Great gear change and the auto blip on down shifts superb, brand new car so diddent give it the full beans plus not mine either.

From other Porsches I've driven 7 in total the steering is a lot quicker and a tad more lock.

Nice engine note could hear the auxiliary drive belt behind the seats a bit and a nice unfussy steering wheel for once.

Very impressed 

IMG_20200308_103718933_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_102708531.jpg

I didnt know the calipers could be painted, ive learned something new!

I do actually think the GT4 is one of the prettiest cars in the range.

I have heard the gt4 is the better handing car in the GT range.

Are you going to buy it? Having tried 7 porsches, clearly you have an itch that needs scratching..

On 09/03/2020 at 21:19, philcool said:

In a word no not because of any real problem with the Porsche just the Exige S2 240 is more raw which I like and cost me £30k and plenty quick enough for me bit to quick really.

Build quality no were near that if the Porsche as expected and the money side different ball game road tax £400+ a year for the first three years and car as tested £83k.

Not had a go in the S3 Exige 380-410 etc only sat in one so really need to compare these to the Porsche to be honest but haveing a run out in my S2 always makes me smile just because it's so different from anything else Porsche included._CM18599v1.jpg.217f799a3ca0e81c10bf08df103a15e7.jpg

I can see sense in comments here, i wouldnt mind a lotus sat next to the gt3 in the garage. A fancy race car and a raw car, totally different experiences

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

Having tried 7 porsches, clearly you have an itch that needs scratching..

This should cure that 😆😆😆

716yBDTOkvL._SL1500_.jpg

The small print.