Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
520Y - Continued - Page 4 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

520Y - Continued

Hello Richard. Usually in the Esprit fora I just today browsed your thread for the first time, and it's a commendable account. Regarding the engine knock I immediately expected what was to be your report, as big end failures and track time have been well associated in my observations. The 900 series engine has 2 key aspects relevant to this - the high rev operating range and the 45 deg slant installation. The revs situation assures high rate of pumping oil, including to the head, the slant position neutralises gravity return of oil to sump when nearing 1 G turns to the right. That said I am similarly inclined to track day joys and thorough restoration of these great motor cars. Well done!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the comments Steve. a very interesting car you have there, and some great views of Goodwood!

On my test drives Ive noticed that the aerial on the car roof has gone floppy - it was lying on the roof and would not sit any higher. I decided to investigate and thought the most likely was the the bolt or whatever forms the hinge had worked loose. On the assumption it was a bolt I decided to try to drill it out - since there seemed no way to undo it.

I attacked what I hoped was a cover plate with a left handed drill - it turned out this was actually the bolt head, but the left handed bits had the desired effect and after a while the bolt came undone.

image.jpeg.4d88d4421e3804fb09590e93bc3ae175.jpeg

The construction is that the two parts of the aerial have serrated  bevels, and the bolt has a spring that keeps the two parts pressed together, but allows enough movement to lift the aerial. Neither the bolt or the nut have any way to use a spanner on them, although it looks like someone has cut a screwdriver slot into my nut.

image.jpeg.c27f97d8df4c900ac1afa5ac0e49daef.jpeg

Having taken the aerial apart I decided to replace the bolt with a stainless cap head bolt, but reuse the original spring and nut.

image.jpeg.be1570389f1f57e28d51527a0f2a0f96.jpeg

Once all together I also decided to put a new nyloc on the end of the bolt rather than just cut it off. This is probably oveerkill, and once painted black if it stands out too much I will probably remove it.

image.jpeg.cc4fcbe3b56778caa83dcf2129f9d17e.jpeg

• Like 1