Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
On the brink of a 350 and need some advice - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

On the brink of a 350 and need some advice

SpeedMatters

When mine had it done, it had all the associated paper work you’d expect including part numbers. Can’t remember when the change over was but it’s only the older clutches that suffered.

whilst a few of us got hit with bad clutches, and it seriously is the only weak spot, I know of many more who have had no issues from their clutch. It’s something to be conscious of but I wouldn’t let it get in the way of the right car. 

Shame you won’t track it, these cars are just sublime on any circuit and a fair few of us all get together to do days which makes it great fun.

If it helps I've called in on the 2016 models I've seen and the dealers all know if the improved parts have been used.  I wouldn't buy one that hasn't had the new part as I just can't be doing with the hassle. 

Edited by SpeedMatters

Back from test driving a 350 and an Elise 220 and overall I preferred the Elise but would still buy the Exige.  Having never driven either before nor any Lotus since the S1 here's some quick thoughts:

Exige:

• Very fast.  Around 20mph faster than you think it's going.
  • Rides just as well as my RS4 in comfort.
  • Loud inside but from wind noise rather than anything else when just cruising around on the motorway.  84dB max according to the phone.
  • Exhaust is fine but around 4500rpm there is an awful resonance to the point of it being unacceptable.  Above that is a T-rex and below it's just a bit bland but an easy fix with a 2bular or something.
  • Steering is great and i had to relax my grip but after that it was great.
  • Build quality overall was great.  No rattles but it was a new car.
  • Overall it felt special.

Elise:

• Roof off so great :)
  • The best ride quality I've ever felt.  Truly amazing
  • Great steering even at a 3-point turn it wasn't too heavy
  • Exhaust makes some nice pops and overrun but it's bland as any 4c car.  Fruity exhaust must sound great.
  • More relaxing to drive (same dB as the Exige but with the roof off).
  • Needs more power but an excellent blend

So yes, now a little confused as to where to head.  I think an Exige with the roof off and a better exhaust would be pretty great though.

Edited by SpeedMatters

Inline with my experience when test driving between an SC220 Elise and a Exige V6S.

For me it was the power that did it; glad every day I went for the Exige.

The noise thingy you describe is the 4k "flap open" transition on the exhaust.  Easy fix with any exhaust of your liking. (me personally, I had the exhaust flap forced open all the time... until I got straight pipes, so basically no back box anymore (and a CAI and headers and a small cat... 😄)).

I have a V6S, but the hardtop was taken off on day 1 and now 2007 days later, it is yet to be put back (softtop / no top since day one).

Edit: on the rattles: my car is now 5.5 years old and still rattle free.  My BMW Z4 rattled like crazy at that age... was also LESS comfortable!  Me likey Exige V6S - 3xx - 4xx  😉

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Like 1

Glad it’s a similar experience. Certainly makes it easier to buy with some confidence. The standard exhaust would certainly have to go. Neither tuneful or attractive and for 1500 it’s something to factor in as is the softop for another 1500. Hmm it all adds up...

Been debating 220 Sport v 250 Cup v Exige V6 for sometime .....  general feedback I took away from other forums was:

• Exige V6
    • more of an occasion
    • higher running costs
    • has more of a presence on the road
    • fast but no way all that power can be utilised off track
    • more stable in corners
    • more torque
    • clutch issue
  • Elise Cup 250
    • lower running cost, very affordable
    • more than enough power off track
    • roof off

It was suggested the only way to decide is to test drive each which I was planning to do this summer before my local dealership closed. Contacted Lotus and they were about to announce a new dealership but then ..... Lockdown :(  I would likely be happy either way but dont want to decide prior to a test drive of each in line. Head says Elise, heart says Exige v6 .... but then i change my mind daily. Its a dilema.

This maybe of interest , trying to figure out how each fits in the garage + compare costs too.

Exige-v-Elise-v-Garage-2

PS door mirror height on elise is 870mm , important for my garage arm and width clearance at 970mm ish.

Also maybe of use:

250 PH article:

https://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/lotus/lotus-elise-cup-250-driven/34154

Exige PH article:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general/lotus-exige-sport-350-driven-updated/33440

JayEmm article useful (but talks too much about the track IMO).

Interest to here how your search goes !

Scott

Edited by scott_e

I think for me the Exige represents something that is newer, meaner and more exclusive over an Elise that has been around in the current form for a very long time. Owned an Exige S2 NA previously. 

ps sorry to hijack your thread btw , hope something is useful :)

Edited by scott_e

@SpeedMatters don’t worry about the exhaust, everyone on the new cars get the valve mod by the dealer which means the noise is there from start up and not at 4.5k revs. If you want it quiet then you can just reconnect the valve which takes about 10 seconds in the engine bay. Essentially they move it to an easy access place and provide clips etc so it stays in there with a plug that pops into the required tube. 

with time the exhausts coke up nicely as the cars are quite rich - the noise is great with pops/bangs on the overrun. 

2bular are great but lose the pops for some reason so I’d do this mod prior to pick up through the dealer then decide down the line if you want more occasion and add a 2bular then. 

I had an R32 a few years ago (twice!) and that had a simple method involving a golf tee.  I like the idea of the flap though as pottering around or starting early in the morning should ideally be quiet-ish.  Arranging to see the orange one at 4C next week.  

They aren’t mapped in, they are naturally occurring so sound 👌 hate the way modern Audi’s etc sound with their fake pops accompanied by their fake engine noise played inside the car. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 28/05/2020 at 20:38, scott_e said:

This maybe of interest , trying to figure out how each fits in the garage + compare costs too.

Being sensible I think you should seriously consider that nissan note ....

Only here once

🤣🤣🤣  ... well known for the handling is the Nissan Note 😬

Its in there for reference (width comparison purposes) when parking in the garage ..... god awful car though it really is.

Edited by Bravo73

17 hours ago, BatMobile said:

@SpeedMatters don’t worry about the exhaust, everyone on the new cars get the valve mod by the dealer which means the noise is there from start up and not at 4.5k revs. If you want it quiet then you can just reconnect the valve which takes about 10 seconds in the engine bay. Essentially they move it to an easy access place and provide clips etc so it stays in there with a plug that pops into the required tube. 

with time the exhausts coke up nicely as the cars are quite rich - the noise is great with pops/bangs on the overrun. 

2bular are great but lose the pops for some reason so I’d do this mod prior to pick up through the dealer then decide down the line if you want more occasion and add a 2bular then. 

In my 410, and probably the 350, the wiring loom for the exhaust button to open the valve is still there, just not the button, so instead of blocking the pipe I got the dealer to wire in a switch so I can now open and close  the exhaust at the press of the button. It may also be coded in somehow as the ex.vale open message comes up on the dash screen. 

Edited by Robjo