Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Project - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

9 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

They are coming up well, what are you using?

Dave :) 

I bought a small “Bissel” carpet cleaner and also used some Auto Glym upholstery foam . With the Bissel you can really see the dirt lifting 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you want to retain the originality as much as possible you're looking at a localised repair. I understand that the material is available, though you have to be careful to obtain the correct style, as there are some copies out there that aren't correct. Then possibly ageing it to match. It looks like some professional intervention is required to me though.

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

If you want to retain the originality as much as possible you're looking at a localised repair. I understand that the material is available, though you have to be careful to obtain the correct style, as there are some copies out there that aren't correct. Then possibly ageing it to match. It looks like some professional intervention is required to me though.

Any idea where to get the material - the stuff Roo has is ROW which is different . 

3 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Any idea where to get the material - the stuff Roo has is ROW which is different . 

That looks very similar to the material in my Federal car. Drop me your address and I'll mail a sample to you to compare.

IMG_20150202_112046135.jpg

On 02/12/2020 at 15:32, v8vantage said:

That looks very similar to the material in my Federal car. Drop me your address and I'll mail a sample to you to compare.

IMG_20150202_112046135.jpg

Roo -I fear it is quite different to your trim 

Just now, Djs44 said:

Just now, Djs44 said:

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Sorry about the double posts ... 

Had the bodywork inspected over the weekend - car has had a new rear quarter rather badly attached . I had noticed the join line but not that the profile when viewing the car from the rear is slightly different side to side. One lower rear wishbone has a very slight bend which needs replacing . 

So the body will be away sometime early next year for a full sorting out and sunroof delete including the rear wing and fitting the new bonnet supplied with the car. There is also damage from incorrect jacking in one small area. 

Currently I only have the heater to strip and check and then I'm stuck as the chassis will be awaiting the engine and the I guess I can't do much to the body before it it painted ? If so the project will grind to a halt for 4-5 months. 

With most parts now painted in POR 15 I tackled stripping the heater box last night. I want to replace the heater core to ensure no issues going forward . 

Some questions to those who have already trod this path . 

All the foam on the heater flaps has fallen to bits - what sort should I use to replace it ?

What about the rubber seals on the 2nd flap ?

Also the larger flap lever is broken and whilst i can possibly glue the 2 pieces back together , can you get new ones ?

I've noted writing on the side of the heater as shown , suggests it has been out before? 

Finally - repaint the outside in por 15 , leave the inside ( which is ok anyway) ??

heater flap.jpg

heater flap 2.jpg

heater side.jpg

• Like 2

Toot toot 

Got the horns  off today - only one more part to remove and the body is naked.

Although they haven't been used since 1993 , I thought I'd give them a go so wired them up to  a battery and .... promptly very nearly poo'd my pants. They are LOUD . 

A quick clean of the trumpets, just need to paint the steel parts and they are good to go. 

Can anyone suggest where I can get rear brake callipers at a reasonable price - I have none ?

Also the " crash pad " for the steering wheel and the plaque that sits under the radio ? 

toot toot.jpg

• Like 1

G-Esprit rear brake calipers are very rare, as are their internals. They were only shared by the Esprit and Lancia Gamma Coupé I believe.

PNM Engineering sell an alternative based on VAG/Audi A6 rear calipers I think.

I’m after a picture of the electric window switch panel if possible - mine was missing so I have a new one and I’d like to see how the leather looks on it . 
thanks in advance 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Little progress on the car whilst I wait for engine , parts and body to go to paint . 

However I managed to find a gear knob on ebay that is in transit now - the seller said it had previously been on a JPS he owned . I've been in touch with him and he owned 3 cars over the years - one of which was mine in 2001 ! 

So maybe the original gear knob for the car :) 

The trim samples are due in 4 weeks for the seat inserts so that's coming on too . 

• Like 2

Does he remember which numbered cars he owned, helps keep track of them if they have not been seen for a while. Seem to be parts from a few "JPS" Commemorative cars turning up on EBay, wonder which cars they are from.

That gearknob on EBay was not an original Lotus one, it's a different shape to what was fitted to the Esprit.

Image 41 - CLASSIC-034-JPS-034-TEAM-LOTUS-period-LEATHER-GEAR-KNOB-was-on-JPS-ESPRIT-S2

image.thumb.png.e5f9587b5deb680ad35474fdab0a7e60.png

• Like 1

I like the fact that it may have been on my car at some point . The seller didn't know which cars he'd had but found  a record of my number plate in his files . 

As I didn't have a gear knob ,I'm happy with my purchase :)