Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks like we are taking a similar journey, I was offered this car by Graham in 2006, he put it in a club lotus classified in the end I believe.

Those holes look like they were drilled for something during its life like an alarm siren or similar as don’t recognise them. 
The seats can be restored so no issue as long as you have the cloth.

The windscreen surrounds should be painted, I managed to get an original set of front and back old lotus stock ones SJ were saving for mine, I found the gold hammerite smooth-paint spray is a very close match, I’m going to refresh mine saving my new ones until I do a full body restoration in the future maybe converting to RHD at the same time.

I gave up trying to find that original deep pile lambs wool carpet in the end so Steve on here is making a set in Wessex wool.

Good luck with the project and look forward to the updates

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

On 03/10/2020 at 20:06, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Looks like we are taking a similar journey, I was offered this car by Graham in 2006, he put it in a club lotus classified in the end I believe.

Those holes look like they were drilled for something during its life like an alarm siren or similar as don’t recognise them. 
The seats can be restored so no issue as long as you have the cloth.

The windscreen surrounds should be painted, I managed to get an original set of front and back old lotus stock ones SJ were saving for mine, I found the gold hammerite smooth-paint spray is a very close match, I’m going to refresh mine saving my new ones until I do a full body restoration in the future maybe converting to RHD at the same time.

I gave up trying to find that original deep pile lambs wool carpet in the end so Steve on here is making a set in Wessex wool.

Good luck with the project and look forward to the updates

Dave - thanks for the feedback . I have spoken with SteveV8 and will get carpets on order soon although I know I won't need them for a while . 

Graham traded the car for some work on his other one to SJ Sportscars . They sold it to Tocus. 

2 Car parking lift ordered - gone with Strongman. 

I'm taking the dash and seats to get a quote locally.

Started taking the heater out yesterday but I need to remove a dash speaker  which is held in by 4 cross headed bolts that won't budge . Did they fit dash speakers? 

Headlights coming out next to repair damage to the pods and then I'll get all the bits to repair them and refit - will test the motors later. 

Got to apply some force tonight to undo the  bolt holding the spare wheel in  - seized solid. 

Where do people recommend for a new complete wiring loom ? 

Edited by Djs44

Great to see another World Championship Edition "JPS" coming back to life. Great to see it sharing space in the garage with an Aston, mine lives with a couple of V8 Vantages here in Oregon.

They have a single dash mount woofer Offset from centre, the leather trim in front of the screen should be perforated with lots of holes, the Oval speaker sits behind.

SJ sell the looms but I’m sure I came across another place doing the old google search when I looked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, v8vantage said:

Great to see another World Championship Edition "JPS" coming back to life. Great to see it sharing space in the garage with an Aston, mine lives with a couple of V8 Vantages here in Oregon.

V12 Manual . Love  it . Would love a proper Vantage thou 👍🏻

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

They have a single dash mount woofer Offset from centre, the leather trim in front of the screen should be perforated with lots of holes, the Oval speaker sits behind.

SJ sell the looms but I’m sure I came across another place doing the old google search when I looked.

Dave - I’ve seen bigger tweeters ! 

So heater out today . Can’t get the spare wheel out which is stopping me getting the other headlight out . Will try again tomorrow. 

Edited by Djs44

I think there are a few of us Aston/Loti owners here. I have had a few Vantages and find them very reliable once you know the ‘foibles’ 😉

4 hours ago, Clarky5150 said:

I think there are a few of us Aston/Loti owners here. I have had a few Vantages and find them very reliable once you know the ‘foibles’ 😉

That'll be me too at present - Aston 2020 Vantage AMR and my JPS and type 49 Elise S1 :)

Vantage is fantastic must say.

On 08/10/2020 at 16:57, Sizona said:

That'll be me too at present - Aston 2020 Vantage AMR and my JPS and type 49 Elise S1 :)

Vantage is fantastic must say.

Ha , my fleet includes  A V12 vantage , the JPS and a series 1 Elise . I was involved in the chassis manufacture of the Elise ( and first gen Vanquish ) , vx 220 , 340r etc . 

On 08/10/2020 at 18:57, v8vantage said:

I've got some 1978 V8 Vantages along with a 2007 Vantage to keep my JPS company. Here's the 2007 affectionately named "Tweety"! And one of "Mario" as well. Also old "Essy" takes up another spot in the garage.

b3s103b.jpg

6901N24.jpg

front r.jpg

Is that a DB3s replica ? Lovely looking car . 

Made a bit of progress this weekend. Dash beam out, finally got the spare wheel bolt undone, all rear boot floors out, bumper and rear valence. Rear bumper full of wood - what's that all about? 

So apart from the loom and door trims, inside is empty. 

Found a local trimmer who didn't expect me to pay for his next trip to Barbados so dash etc will be off to him shortly - restoration rather than all new, keeping trim where we can. 

Friend likely to do the engine. Not sure what's in it yet - I have a box with 4 pistons, one conrod and a bag full of bolts marked " flywheel" . The engine is still in the car but I don't think it has a flywheel so will be interesting to see if it has any internals... that may decide whether or not I go 2.5l - if it has most bits I'll stay standard. 

I spent a bit of time with a da polisher - paint comes up well but there is quite a bit of crazing. 

Hope to split the body off the chassis next weekend- parking lift should arrive before then freeing up space in the mancave. 

All the parts removed are making my garage very untidy - under all the bits you might be able to make out my 1000cc hillclimb and sprint car ....

Also got my Riley Lynx back on Saturday - on the road but needs some work .

I'm ready when the next lockdown comes:)

Does anyone have a s2 Esprit that I can come and take pics of so I know what a finished car looks like etc ? I'm in Worcestershire but happy to travel, rules permitting. 

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

• Like 2

Wait until the body comes off, they take an unbelievable amount of space up don’t they 😂

The wood in the bumper is correct but often rotten so a pain to replace but all possible, the brackets are often pretty knackered as well.

I can do any photos as mines in bits going back together so just ask.

The gel cracks lol fine so just detail and keep original, that’s my plan anyway making the car more a daily user rather than show queen.

Nice man cave 👍🏻

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Wait until the body comes off, they take an unbelievable amount of space up don’t they 😂

The wood in the bumper is correct but often rotten so a pain to replace but all possible, the brackets are often pretty knackered as well.

I can do any photos as mines in bits going back together so just ask.

The gel cracks lol fine so just detail and keep original, that’s my plan anyway making the car more a daily user rather than show queen.

Nice man cave 👍🏻

Thanks for the reply Dave - do I need to replace the wood? I managed to remove most of the bits and the brackets seem fine. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the chassis is - I know the driveshafts and lower links need doing , possibly rear dampers but the rest seems pretty good. 

• Like 1

It’s normally the front area of the chassis which suffers but all can be fixed up.

Yes just replace the wood and laminate it in, I have some photos somewhere of doing this repair. 
SJ sell the brackets if you need them but sounds like you’re ok.

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Does anyone have a s2 Esprit that I can come and take pics of so I know what a finished car looks like etc ? I'm in Worcestershire but happy to travel, rules permitting.

@Suddabym is probably your closest - the cars an absolute beauty 

• Like 1

Only here once

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

@Suddabym is probably your closest - the cars an absolute beauty 

Yes. I do, although it's a restomod so many features are not original or standard in any way. At all. I'm in Hereford, so close. Although right at  this moment the car in in a garage have the last upgrades added and snags sorted. But, happy to help in any way that I can.

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

18 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Ha , my fleet includes  A V12 vantage , the JPS and a series 1 Elise . I was involved in the chassis manufacture of the Elise ( and first gen Vanquish ) , vx 220 , 340r etc . 

Is that a DB3s replica ? Lovely looking car . 

Looks like a DB3S, goes like one but built in 1959 in Australia using Aussie mechanicals. Has a full race history from Down Under as well. http://www.buchananmotorcompany.com/John%20Reaburn%20Buchanan%20Holden.htm

The story of how it is created can be found here: http://www.buchananmotorcompany.com/images/Fibreglass%20Flier.pdf

b3s103.jpg

• Like 2

Little progress on the car since last post . Decided that I'll retrim virtually the full interior - just leaving the bulkhead panel and the door trims which are both fine. Should be dropped off in the next 2 weeks . 

On balance I think a full respray is on the cards too. 

First box of bits arrived from SJ - amazing how all the little bits add up . 

Spend a long day building the parking lift . Twin Busch and very good quality - I'm a bit limited on what I can put on the left side due to the roof slope but sportscars will fit lol.

So I now have a bit more space to take the body off and find out how the chassis is and get the engine out.

Roo -trim pic as requested 

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

• Like 1

Does it make any difference if the body is painted on the chassis or on a dolly ?

Also does anyone have a drawing of a dolly they've made to allow the body to be moved around whilst off the chassis ?

Thanks 

41 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

Does it make any difference if the body is painted on the chassis or on a dolly ?

Also does anyone have a drawing of a dolly they've made to allow the body to be moved around whilst off the chassis ?

Thanks 

Someone asked a very similar question on page 2 of this thread.