Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The restoration of S1 234G - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The restoration of S1 234G

8 minutes ago, omegaman said:

1413 looks like the front indicator (1417) holder for a federal car. 

Re the fuel sender from SJ, I have the tank still out of the car, I can take some photos and resistance readings if you like. Yes I still have the Veglia dash. 

That makes sense as the previous owner sold a Federal car and a UK car together.

Re sender: yes please. Does it have 3 holes in the top like an s1 sender?

1 minute ago, omegaman said:

Surely it works a bit like a Scalextric controller, in which case you can just swap the ground wire and the fuel level wire around. So if it had a sweep of 0 to 300 it would then have a sweep of 300 to 0...assuming you don't ground the fuel tank that is. 

Afraid not, pure resistance has no polarity.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, Paul Coleman said:

That makes sense as the previous owner sold a Federal car and a UK car together.

Re sender: yes please. Does it have 3 holes in the top like an s1 sender?

Afraid not, pure resistance has no polarity.

I know but the gauge input wire is referenced to ground isn't it? 

Fuel_Sender_Function.jpg

The sender has the body of the sender for ground and then a choice of 2 terminals .......one at each end of the resistor track doesn't it?

It's been 5 years since I saw mine but the two terminals are normally electrically isolated from the case iirc. The resistance between the two terminals is just a resistance and assuming they are isolated it would make no difference which way you connect it up. The tanks are normally grounded through an earth strap to the chassis but that's just for safety.

18 hours ago, Fridge said:

This and many other forum platforms have shockingly bad usability issues.

In my experience this forum website functions head and shoulders better than most any hosted elsewhere, whether in pursuit of commercial, government, or recreational interests. Bloody well done! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drdoom said:

In my experience this forum website functions head and shoulders better than most any hosted elsewhere, whether in pursuit of commercial, government, or recreational interests. Bloody well done! 

As an ex-Usability consultant I find they are often not the most intuitive of platforms. The fact that simple embedding images and video flummoxes individuals is rather telling. As I said above, I still find the latter confusing, and I now run a business providing video content, often for online use! Others have commented on this specifically in the last few months.

17 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

It's been 5 years since I saw mine but the two terminals are normally electrically isolated from the case iirc. The resistance between the two terminals is just a resistance and assuming they are isolated it would make no difference which way you connect it up. The tanks are normally grounded through an earth strap to the chassis but that's just for safety.

As far as I remember @Paul Coleman one of the wires is screwed into the fuel tank, which is grounded. However, this could be part of my problem .... I await the outcome of this topic with interest *breaks out the  popcorn*

Edited by Fridge

8 minutes ago, Fridge said:

As far as I remember @Paul Coleman one of the wires is screwed into the fuel tank, which is grounded. However, this could be part of my problem .... I await the outcome of this topic with interest *breaks out the  popcorn*

Ah okay, well either way it's just a variable resistor from the gauge to ground so it won't make a blind bit of difference. The movement of the arm affects the resistance and nothing else. To reverse it you would have to rewire the sender.

Okay, as promised here is the spreadsheet which will be used to detail all the costings... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13KeyABpkwt11CuFeXZTxFuqGJ45u7_e5BqilOlExYVM/edit#gid=0

Hope my wife doesn't find this post ;)

We should have a poll as to what colour I do it...

1. Leave it red with a brown marcasite interior as it left the factory

2.White & tartan 

3. Orange & tartan

4. something else - you suggest

Edited by Paul Coleman

3 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Okay, as promised here is the spreadsheet which will be used to detail all the costings... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13KeyABpkwt11CuFeXZTxFuqGJ45u7_e5BqilOlExYVM/edit#gid=0

Hope my wife doesn't find this post ;)

What's it worth?....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, v39 said:

Orange

I have to say that orange is my favourite colour for the S1 and when I was looking for a car 15 years ago it was orange that was at the top of my wish list but I ended up finding a white/tartan car which was my second choice and at £2,000 I couldn't turn it down. I do have a problem with the idea of changing the colour of a car, I would find it very difficult to do.

1 hour ago, lotus-62 said:

Nr 4, something else:   I love blue on an S1, with a nice set of polished wolfrace wheels.  

Yes, not many blue ones about. In fact I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh although @LOTUSMAN33 has an original lagoon blue S1 to restore.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2

Still not sure I’m going blue as never seen one and photos always make it look like quite a dull colour.

Matt Watts blue S2.2 was a really nice shade of blue and I did like.3DBA1AF0-6707-44F7-AC6B-046FB1BAB1EF.png.c16b62e361b40b0e2dd0b54fa07986eb.png

9A932C65-BCA2-40BA-9809-AA1B7ABE4362.jpeg.34a23b4a994eafb4578daf356521ebec.jpeg

Lagoon blue just doesn’t quite do it although this could be just poor photographs.

I will get the paint shop to do me a test strip then decide after.

8428327E-A6B2-47A1-AD9C-C2E54E9A3056.jpeg.24589c4eff651b0c28ae0929f6de545a.jpegThis blue looks better but more a royal blue I think?

I think Red and Marcasite will be the way Paul goes which will look really smart and not many red ones about these days.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, lotus-62 said:

I am a sucker for bright blue on a car  like the first series countach, a G-esprit Alpine A110 and don't forget my little banks europa 62

IMG_0107.JPG

That is bloody lovely 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 17:56, Paul Coleman said:

Ah okay, well either way it's just a variable resistor from the gauge to ground so it won't make a blind bit of difference. The movement of the arm affects the resistance and nothing else. To reverse it you would have to rewire the sender.

It's easy enough to rewire some senders or you can swap the wires around at the gauge.....if it's an amp meter style setup. I don't know which style the Veglia is without taking a good look, if it's a thermostatic style then it would likely fry the sender if you did that. 

1 hour ago, omegaman said:

It's easy enough to rewire some senders or you can swap the wires around at the gauge.....if it's an amp meter style setup. I don't know which style the Veglia is without taking a good look, if it's a thermostatic style then it would likely fry the sender if you did that. 

I would imagine that it's just a simple moving coil meter with the sender acting as a variable resistor down to ground. If it is a moving coil meter then if you swap the wires on it you will try and wrap the needle round the wrong way, it won't compensate for the sender being the wrong way around.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Actually the Veglia is a differential coil meter, I removed mine from the dash yesterday to have a look. Looking from the back you have 3 pins, top left is 12v, top right is sender input, bottom pin is ground. The "full" coil 117 ohms is wired between 12v and sender pin and the "empty" coil is wired between the sender pin and  ground. If you ground the sender pin you effectively short out the "empty" coil which cause full deflection to "full".

You could reverse the polarity by using some chassis mount transistor insulating washers and pigtails for power, to avoid damaging the plastic circuit sheet on the back of the cluster, then add a shunt resistor to balance the coils.

I'll hook up the S2 sender on the bench and let you know what kind of range it has and if it acts as it should. 

unnamed (1).jpg

1 hour ago, omegaman said:

Actually the Veglia is a differential coil meter, I removed mine from the dash yesterday to have a look. Looking from the back you have 3 pins, top left is 12v, top right is sender input, bottom pin is ground. The "full" coil 117 ohms is wired between 12v and sender pin and the "empty" coil is wired between the sender pin and  ground. If you ground the sender pin you effectively short out the "empty" coil which cause full deflection to "full".

You could reverse the polarity by using some chassis mount transistor insulating washers and pigtails for power, to avoid damaging the plastic circuit sheet on the back of the cluster, then add a shunt resistor to balance the coils.

I'll hook up the S2 sender on the bench and let you know what kind of range it has and if it acts as it should. 

Interesting. 

I asked Steve at SJ about the S2 sender and his reply was "The senders are electrically compatible but the S2 will not fit in the tank, unless it is a very early one.  The best way round this is for us to make you a special S1 tank with an Aftermarket sender fitted."

Not sure what constitutes a very early one?