Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speed Bumps - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speed Bumps

Greg | ValetPro

I live on a lane that has speed bump. The bumps are made from tarmac so the form is not standard.  When I had an Evora 2014 Sports Race N/A I needed to go over the bumps very slowly to avoid scraping.   Scraping occurred between the two wheels just after the front wheels go down.  I'm looking at 400 Does the 400 sit lower than a N/A Sports racer?  

All the Best

Greg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've not noticed a difference against the NA. One of our offices has a "V" shaped entrance (both road and drive sloping upwards from the low point) and it was close on both. I'd suggest very little difference.

You can always slow and then accelerate up to the hump, it brings the nose up, better than just crawling over.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM

Doesn't sound like that would help Colin, it's the middle of the car that's impacting not the nose so any extra speed will just increase the impact. Trying some different approach angles *may* help the sharper the angle the better but you might not be able to get it sharp enough to make a difference.

• Like 1

Thanks, reread the OP. D'oh.

The only thing I've grounded other than the nose is a mud flap, sounds like that could be the issue. I still think the ground clearance is very similar. 

East Sussex you say, I could try it out in exchange for a ceramic coating :hrhr:.

Seriously, where in E sussex?

• Like 1

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

With mine (Evora S) it is also the mud flaps just after the front wheels that have ocasionally made some contact on sharply inclined garage ramps taken with some degree of turning angle. (Says the guy who needs to put two wood logs each time he wants to take the care out of the garage, much to his neighbours' amusement)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin P said:

Thanks, reread the OP. D'oh.

The only thing I've grounded other than the nose is a mud flap, sounds like that could be the issue. I still think the ground clearance is very similar. 

East Sussex you say, I could try it out in exchange for a ceramic coating :hrhr:.

Seriously, where in E sussex?

Hello Colin 

I live in Crowborough.  Not sure how close that is to you.  As for the ceramic we are currently developing a coating.  Its going through the testing stage. Testing durability and hardness etc.  It's designed to be an easy to use ceramic.  Would you want to be a product tester?  We could do the car together taking you through the process.  It would be good to get feedback.  It would have to wait till our chemist approves the formulation as a product we would put in production. This could be a couple of months away before we are complete.

Thanks everyone for the advise thus far.

• Like 1

All the Best

Greg

Yep, as said above I’d bet it was your mud flaps that were scraping previously. When approaching a speed bump, the bottom edge of the front wheel arch (bumper side) is actually lower than the lowest point past the wheel, so if it was the actual underside scraping, it would have hit before the wheel went over not after.  My car is quite low, it’s the mud flaps that always scrape, and they’re rubber, so no big deal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DBG said:

Yep, as said above I’d bet it was your mud flaps that were scraping previously. When approaching a speed bump, the bottom edge of the front wheel arch (bumper side) is actually lower than the lowest point past the wheel, so if it was the actual underside scraping, it would have hit before the wheel went over not after.  My car is quite low, it’s the mud flaps that always scrape, and they’re rubber, so no big deal.

that makes sense.  It only scraped occasionally which by the sound of it will be fine.  Thanks

• Like 1

All the Best

Greg

It's a bit of a trek as I'm right out at the Hampshire border, but the wife likes Worthing and is itching to go there once the lockdown eases a little, so I was hoping you'd say somewhere that way.

• Like 1

+1 regarding mud flaps scraping.  Happened to my car on a speed bump outside my gym.  Like you I thought it was somewhere in the middle of the chassis that was scrapping but couldn't see any witness marks on the underbelly.    I got a mate to look closely as I went over the bump and he confirmed it was the mud flaps that where catching.

I'm not really near you (Hertfordshire) but if you need a product tester I'm happy to put my name in that hat.  Happy to travel down if restrictions will allow it.  In normal times I use my car daily so gets covered in all the usual crap from the roads so might be a good test for the coating.

• Like 1