Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GrandThriftAuto’s blue 1976 Elite 503 - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GrandThriftAuto’s blue 1976 Elite 503

Thanks! That’s much appreciated.

1 hour ago, jep said:

Imagine how all those folk at the Lotus factory have felt over the years, as their hard work and innovation has been trashed by clowns who have never even owned one.

That’s an excellent point.

I can only echo others' replies. Your videos are great and it's a worthwhile thing to save and drive a classic Lotus. Keep them coming and ignore the trolls. :) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

I think your videos are really great - very much enjoy watching. And as someone who once spent 4 hours just getting the distributor cap back on to the car (before Sparky taught me his secret trick for this), they are a total pig to get at! 

5 hours ago, skiing said:

And as someone who once spent 4 hours just getting the distributor cap back on to the car (before Sparky taught me his secret trick for this), they are a total pig to get at! 

Please share? I would rather not like to spend 4 hours on doing that!

• Gold FFM

Haha, well, the challenge in removing and replacing the cap (I found) was that the clips which hold it on are very hard to get into place - especially the lower one which for me meant having to try and wedge a screw driver under the body of the distributor resting on the engine to try and force the clip on... and it kept pinging off... The trick is to mark the position of the distributor, loosen the clamp bolt (while holding the distributor in place so it does not spring out and then rotate it to make the clip more accessible. Once the distributor cap is clipped back on, loosen the clamp bolt (while holding the distributor into place) rotate it back into position before re-tightening the clamp bolt. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The most important thing is don't let the distributor spring out of its key - so make sure you keep it under pressure holding it into place as you rotate it.. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just been watching your ignition videos and was impressed.

I've done all my own car mechanics for 46 years now and was impressed you managed to find the double suppression was the ignition problem.

Today I've been mostly lubricating my lower steering swivels with EP90 gear oil as steering was v heavy on my 1st drive. Also managed to get 1 driveshaft greased with Castrol Moly Grease

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi I've been briefly seraching the web for any trace of my dads old blue Elite which he bought in the 80's from London and was brought to the west Wales area. In the  later 90's I was told he had parked it up next to a lorry that caught fire and it damaged the paint so he got rid. I think he had lost interest in it by this point.

I dont have any photos but I do remember he had some stickers in the back windows, Le Mans 1987, Penyscynor Wildlife Park etc

He did have the front seats retrimmed locally and he told me they were supposed to be leather but came back much more expensive and not leather so he was gutted.

i remember my friend broke/snapped the aerial on it 

i wonder if this is it or if anyone can place it. It was 2 litre and the really nice dark blue colour.

It used to break down all the time lol always stranded on Sunday days out

Hi I've been briefly seraching the web for any trace of my dads old blue Elite which he bought in the 80's from London and was brought to the west Wales area. In the  later 90's I was told he had parked it up next to a lorry that caught fire and it damaged the paint so he got rid. I think he had lost interest in it by this point.

I dont have any photos but I do remember he had some stickers in the back windows, Le Mans 1987, Penyscynor Wildlife Park etc

He did have the front seats retrimmed locally and he told me they were supposed to be leather but came back much more expensive and not leather so he was gutted.

i remember my friend broke/snapped the aerial on it 

i wonder if this is it or if anyone can place it. It was 2 litre and the really nice dark blue colour.

It used to break down all the time lol always stranded on Sunday days out