Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear backup cameras/sensors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear backup cameras/sensors

I have an 2003 V8 Esprit and I'm curious if anyone has installed a backup camera/sensors on their cars?

Additionally, my dashboard has a single DIN radio slot with the factory equipped Alpine single CD head unit.  I would like to update to a Bluetooth capable Alpine at the minimum when the semi-conductor shortage is finally sorted.  

If anyone has a single DIN with a slide out touch screen monitor and Android capabilities that's what I'm ultimately looking to install.  However, the models I've seen appear to be 2 DIN in size.  I guess it maybe asking a lot have the backup camera display on the touch screen.

Any suggestions welcomed.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wondering whether a replacement in cabin mirror with integral LCD screen is the way to go? Seems it would be better to glance at that than it would be to look down at the tunnel area.

Cheers

• Gold FFM

Have a search on the internet for "single DIN with flipout screen".

I looked at one many years ago, but didn't do anything. There seems to be some more on the market now.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yes, there's the Halo series from Alpine which are horribly expensive.  Basically, start at a grand and go to $1.6 grand (US).

However, there are Alpines with Bluetooth and CD for $300.  Strictly for the oldies (like me) who have a huge CD collections and are too lazy or don't have the time to convert to MP3s. 

The $300 Alpine doesn't have the backup camera.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

I bought a single DIN unit with a screen (not flip out) and have it fitted to one of my mg's, but the screen is too small and the angle is not right to easily look at. It was cheap though and I have also now fitted one of the cheap separate screens - splitting the signal as well.

Have fitted an extra rear view unit/camera on my evora which is always on when the ignition is on., is a separate unit  I have attached to the car near the centre switch panel. It is easily removable if required.

• Gold FFM

There is a Pioneer one that came up. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

There are quite a lot on the market now, as most with a decent screen will also have Apple Car Play/Android Auto if you google Single Din Android Auto loads come up.

But all with a decent screen will obscure some knobs or switches on the dash.
The flip up ones at least you can flip away to access the switches and will almost certainly fit a v8 (but not the earlier cars as they foul the binnacle).
The others come permanently covering the area above the radio slot, or below the slot or an adjustable fit can can go anywhere between but I think even with the adjustable ones finding a position that allows access to the switches and A/C knobs will be difficult. As for aesthetics.....

I've ended up fitting one of these:
https://uk.jvc.com/car-entertainment/bluetooth/KD-X561DBT/

The screen for reverse is small but just about ok when you really need it. Although you can connect your phone with Bluetooth and do music, phone calls etc it hasn't car play or android auto. Everything else is excellent and the dab radio even though using an adapter onto the std telescopic aerial picks up more stations than my daily driver that has dab as standard. I didn't think the price was bad either.

Fitting a reverse camera to it (under £10 from ebay) was easy. The hardest part was routing the cable from outside the car into the inside which needed a hole drilling.

• Like 1

The radio (Pyle PLBT37G) that I used is a flip out screen. The only difficult part is that I needed a 1" radio spacer to make sure the screen cleared the upper dash when it flipped up. The best part is our cars have a ISO connector immediately behind the radio connector. As long as you get a radio with a ISO cable everything is plug and play. 

• Like 1