Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rookie cam bucket & shim error, Help! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rookie cam bucket & shim error, Help!

Geeman

As part of my 1984 Turbo recommission I removed the exhaust cam carrier to reseal it due to an oil leak between the carrier and head.  I had checked and measured the valve clearances, all good.  All the valve shims were engraved with their values and I noted them.  Through a small series of stupid fumbles (don't ask) I had 3 of the cam buckets fall out of the carrier and one shim has gone AWOL somewhere in my garage.  I have no idea which bucket came out of which valve.......What are your suggestions on how best to resolve this?  I know it's not good practice to mix buckets/followers with different valves & cam lobes as they have bedded in to each other over time.  The engine has done about 70,000 and everything is looking very clean in the engine so far.

1) Buy 3 NEW buckets and shims to replace the ones that fell out

2) Just put the buckets back regardless and hope for the best

3) I know I need to re-measure the valve clearances and figure out what shim to buy to replace the lost one

I am kicking myself for this stupid mistake......

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would measure up the followers and carrier for wear. if its all within the factory specs then it does not matter which goes in which location. You need to measure top middle and bottom of the follower and carrier as the follower wears in a barrel shape and the carrier in a hourglass shape. 

The other issue can be wear on the follower top to cam  so check the cam lobes and follower for any signs of wear also. 

In the end a new set of followers is not that expensive  if you find enough wear to give concerns about reassembly in different locations

cheers

Rohan