Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant type for S1 Eclat over winter - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant type for S1 Eclat over winter

Hi

I bought an S1 Eclat in the summer which looks great cosmetically but needs a lot of work under the surface, not least a new chassis! It is off the road in my garage for now while I wait for a new chassis but as the temperatures up here in Scotland start to drop I am beginning to worry about the coolant. The PO just put water in it. The expansion tank has a thick layer of rust inside. I will probably replace it for an alloy one but meantime I am wondering if I should drain the water and replace it with conventional antifreeze. I have read about the waterless stuff which is very expensive if I am just going to drain it in a month or so when I take the rad out for the chassis swap. I could also just drain the system now and leave it dry but I worry that could cause bigger problems which channels getting bunged up.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but can the S1 run on unleaded or is lead replacement recommended?

any advice appreciated

chris

I'd just drain it, don't leave it with only water in it as it causes corrosion of the aluminium & it should always be run with a corrosion inhibitor in it.

This is a cheaper alternative to the expensive waterless coolants.

It will run on unleaded :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

It will run on unleaded 

E5 or E10?, surely of this age needs to be the good stuff.

4 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

E5 or E10?, surely of this age needs to be the good stuff.

What muppet would put the cheap stuff in his Lotus? :rofl:

• Like 2

Cheers,

John W

Does the engine run?  You could consider using a cooling system cleaner/flush before leaving it dry.  If you're considering removing the brass block plug (exhaust side) I'd recommend leaving it - they are really hard to remove sometimes.

Pete

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ABL8R said:

Thanks Jonwat. So I should add corrosion inhibitor to water before refilling? 

As far as I know all anti freezes have corrosion inhibitors in them :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Interestingly it still does not for me, I tried on another device but with the same result. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am not trying from within the UK? I tried using the URL and searching for Prestone, that did work and I got the same.

However that type of antifreeze cannot be compared to the waterless type of coolants.

Ever since I started driving and maintaining my cars almost 40 years ago, every motor factors or car parts shops always had and have sold these type of premixed antifreeze coolants like the Prestone in your example. It is something everybody use here. No one is using just water with concentrated antifreeze, I am not sure concentrated antifreeze is even available here. I was amazed to learn this is still common for the UK.

Premixed coolants can and will boil easily whereas waterless coolant has a much higher boiling point. That said I am not a fan of waterless coolant. It is too expensive and more importantly it does not solve the cause of an engine going too hot. It helps in fighting the effect (coolant boiling) but ultimately that is not what you should aim for.

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

Works for me :thumbup:

chrome_screenshot_1636401095802.png

Thanks Jonwat. I’ve used this before in an old Merc CL600 for the intercooler circuit and seemed to do the trick. I’m glad to hear I can use conventional antifreeze without worrying too much

11 minutes ago, Dion said:

Interestingly it still does not for me, I tried on another device but with the same result. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am not trying from within the UK? I tried using the URL and searching for Prestone, that did work and I got the same.

However that type of antifreeze cannot be compared to the waterless type of coolants.

Ever since I started driving and maintaining my cars almost 40 years ago, every motor factors or car parts shops always had and have sold these type of premixed antifreeze coolants like the Prestone in your example. It is something everybody use here. No one is using just water with concentrated antifreeze, I am not sure concentrated antifreeze is even available here. I was amazed to learn this is still common for the UK.

Premixed coolants can and will boil easily whereas waterless coolant has a much higher boiling point. That said I am not a fan of waterless coolant. It is too expensive and more importantly it does not solve the cause of an engine going too hot. It helps in fighting the effect (coolant boiling) but ultimately that is not what you should aim for.

I agree with the points you make. For now I just want something that will not turn solid in my engine/radiator over the next few weeks and months. I guess they should make antifreeze with a high specific heat capacity to it can soak up more of the energy!

7 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Does the engine run?  You could consider using a cooling system cleaner/flush before leaving it dry.  If you're considering removing the brass block plug (exhaust side) I'd recommend leaving it - they are really hard to remove sometimes.

Pete

The engine runs, but tends to go up as high as 120 if stuck in slow traffic. I still haven’t managed to work out if the fan works or the otter switch has failed. I’ve not seen the fan running at all so far even when it’s at 120. From what I’ve read they are not very effective anyway!

regarding drainage I was just going to disconnect the lowest but of tubing but now that I think about it, from memory they both come out near the top of the radiator. I will be completely removing the fan and rad in a few weeks before taking the engine and gearbox out to swap the chassis. I’m somewhat apprehensive about the whole job!

When using a cooling system cleaner/flush you just need to get the engine up to temperature.  It's astounding how much crap comes out of the cooling system sometimes!  You then run clean water through the system to purge the cleaning chemicals and then refill with antifreeze - or in your case just leave it empty if you're taking the engine out soon.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dion said:

Premixed coolants can and will boil easily whereas waterless coolant has a much higher boiling point.

Prestone Ready To Use Antifreeze Engine Coolant Universal 1 Litre

- Add to any coolant/antifreeze
- Protection in all extremes from -37°C to 129°c
  • Like 1

Cheers,

John W