Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Audi buying McLaren - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Audi buying McLaren

Very strong murmurs circulating that Audi are buying McLaren, both the F1 team and Automotive business.

Sad day if true.

• Confused 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That would be a sad day indeed...

• Love 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I don't really know what to think?  Is this good? bad?

The two manufactures have very different philosophies to car building.  One builds straight line dragsters that offers little in feel or driver engagement the other builds light weight cars that are sublime in the corners?   Let's hope they successfully merge the best of both worlds.

Audi has a reputation for building well built cars (don't know if the reality is actually true?) and I believe Macca's can be a bit fragile.  So hopefully some of Audi's production knowhow rubs off and they can make more durable Maccas.

Ahh wait!   I forgot about Lambo! Aren't they owned by Audi too?

1 hour ago, jep said:

McLaren issued a formal denial of this late last year.

So probably true.

Justin

Yes, looks as you say Justin. Can't help but think that the last thing that petrol heads need or want is the VAG/Porsche steamroller assimilating another innovative, exciting, sports car brand into their collective.  

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 minute ago, electro_boy said:

Audi has a reputation for building well built cars (don't know if the reality is actually true?) and I believe Macca's can be a bit fragile.  So hopefully some of Audi's production knowhow rubs off and they can make more durable Maccas.

Go and look at the JD Power and other surveys - Audi's are shite at reliability as in general are most German built cars including Porsche - yes their interiors are well screwed together but they still deliver more than average failings and warranty claims. However, buyers have been convinced by years of great marketing that they are though great!  

Lambo has never been the same since it was taken over by Audi - however, some would say it kept Lambo going.

Just now, Mark Blanchard said:

So McLaren sharing Lamborghini parts.  Bruce will be turning in his grave.

You mean Audi parts surely as isn't that what Lambo uses? ;)

The small print.

According to Martin Brundle, big manufactureres want back in to Formula One. The coverage from Netflix (let us not debate 2021 season result......) has made F1 very appealing. The threat from Google, Sony, Apple self-drive cars etc........means more than ever the existing manufacturers need to build loyalty and brand.

So perhaps Audi are just talking about engines for the Grand Prix cars. Or a stakeholding. I am sure lots of discussions are going on.

I adore McLaren and the way their cars drive. They have been clobbered by COVID, plus some mis-steps along the way in making sportscars, a notorilously difficult business. They may need a big partner and sadly that big brother may be another car manufacturer. Better that perhaps than Amazon or similar?

Justin

I can’t help but think that BMW would be a better fit, more so if it is all about engines. There is already quite some background after all.

Unfortunately, BMW seems to be heading elsewhere and are probably not interested in making sports cars anymore.

Rumour is BMW also sniffing around. They are perhaps nervous of another UK tie-up, Williams GP and Rover did not end well, though they did get the Mini as ample compensation. 

A shame Geely are busy elsewhere.........

Justin

It did not work for Rover indeed, but you could say that they saved Land Rover by spinning it off and RR is not doing bad either. BMW Is still “family owned” somehow. Not exactly a romantic endeavor these days but is the closer you get in today’s automotive industry. They do provide engines to Morgan, too. I would rather have them owning a specialized sports car manufacturer as McLaren rather than Geely, tbh.

Just daydreaming.

• Like 1

Of course, Rolls Royce. I should know better, just not a car maker I follow at all. Electric should be fab for RR, they have spent 100+ years trying to make the internal combustion engine noiseless.

I did drive a modern RR Dawn convertible - should be named Yawn. I am sure brilliant at what it is trying to do but not something I remotely understand.

Hopefully McLaren survive to a bright future, whoever owns them. I think we can all appreciate how good Ron Dennis was; all firms have to move on but how we need someone with his vision now.

Justin 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jep said:

Rover did not end well

And yet the Chinese have done wonders with MG!  Maybe NOT the direction we wanted that sports car brand to go, but consumers are voting for the cars with their wallets.

To be honest, maybe with RR and Bentley as the exceptions, the German Execs have not done well when they have been parachuted in to run stuff that has been bought. 

8 minutes ago, jep said:

Hopefully McLaren survive to a bright future, whoever owns them. I think we can all appreciate how good Ron Dennis was; all firms have to move on but how we need someone with his vision now.

Spot on!

The small print.