Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
When S3 fuel tanks go bad... - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

When S3 fuel tanks go bad...

Sparky

• Gold FFM

Did tanks for Colin @Choppa last week down at his lovely place in Dorset.  Stayed over and we had a drink or six, smashing.  This job was notable as it was the first time I've had to butcher a tank insitu to get it out.  No way was that LH tank moving with the engine in place.  Forunately I had my Milwaukee reciprocating saw handy.  It was messy.

1805598782_WhatsAppImage2022-03-10at8_03_35PM.thumb.jpeg.aa5b36449e55f8b9b74bb344fd84c903.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Just needed a couple more inches.  A constant niggle.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

To be fair, he did get the lump hammer work for free.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2022 at 15:25, Sparky said:

Did tanks for Colin @Choppa last week down at his lovely place in Dorset.  Stayed over and we had a drink or six, smashing.  This job was notable as it was the first time I've had to butcher a tank insitu to get it out.  No way was that LH tank moving with the engine in place.  Forunately I had my Milwaukee reciprocating saw handy.  It was messy.

1805598782_WhatsAppImage2022-03-10at8_03_35PM.thumb.jpeg.aa5b36449e55f8b9b74bb344fd84c903.jpeg

Interesting, I just pulled both tanks with the engine in place. Had to remove seatbelts and the mounts for the struts for the hatch, but got them both out and refurbed and back into the car. It's certainly a tight fit that took some wiggling. The right side is the worst for sure.

I wonder if there are some differences between Domestic and Federal (US) cars that mean that it's possible on US cars but not UK cars?

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

• Gold FFM

S3 N/A tanks are an entirely different shape, as is the surrounding area.  I'll pull Turbo tanks out all day with no major issues!

1 hour ago, DrieStone said:

The right side is the worst for sure.

That photo is actually the LH tank on my S3, the one that doesn't have the fuel sender. Sparky was able to pop the RH one out without a problem, with all the trunking and air boxes out of the way it took maybe 15 minutes, plus a few expletives.

Mine is a 85/6 car and I've since noticed that the earlier S3 cars have a different shelf arrangement over the tanks which may mean that the tanks on both sides come out without an issue.

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

S3 N/A tanks are an entirely different shape, as is the surrounding area.  I'll pull Turbo tanks out all day with no major issues!

I guess I'm happy I have a turbo then! Good to know!

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

• 1 year later...

Interesting. I'm fairly sure the tanks on my 84 Turbo need replacing. Is it a job a mere mortal can do? Obviously I won't be removing the engine as that is way beyond my capability.

And if you had to cut one of the tanks to remove it then how did you get the new tank installed?

• Gold FFM

@GreenGoddess yours is a Turbo, so nowhere near the hassle.  However, the LH tank may not clear the engine easily.

• Thanks 1