Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 seat belt retractor - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 seat belt retractor

Go to solution Solved by LOTUSMAN33,

Discovered that neither of my retractors lock the seat belt when yanked hard (like on every other car i have owned).

1) Are the bolts holding the retractors on the engine side under the plastic cover or are they behind the bulkhead trim?

2) What is a good source for new seat belts?

A1505AC8-2574-4E49-A6CE-26FCDCA137A7.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can't help with specifics on the S1.

If you cannot find new seatbelts from the usual parts suspects like SJ or JAE etc, ask at a provider of handicap vans. These vehicles often have custom-made belt setups.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Another possible thing to try,  is to see if ExoticAutoSalvage has a set of Lotus belts and retractors (they are in the NW USA)

Slava81 on eBay.

Don't rely only on the website, best to contact them.

https://exoticsalvage.com/lotus/

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Slava81 is a good source for used parts, happy to deal with him. Another solution is to hire an upholstery pro to re-web the units unless you have reason to think them deficient. 

Cheers

• Like 1

So the single bolt holding the retractor is visible on the picture, deep inside the plastic cover...duh!

As soon as I loosen the bolt the retractor starts working again (locking when yanked)

As soon as I tighten the bolt the retractor stops working.

I wonder if it is because the car has the front lifted up on jacks and this puts the retractors at an angle. I'll keep investigating, might be a while still before I can get the car level again.

Thanks for the inputs on the potential sources.

• Like 1

So i did a little google research and there is effectively two types of seat belt retractors. 

1) weighted pendulum: this will lock if weight is moved forward in a collision

2) centrifugal clutch: this will lock when seat belt is yanked hard  

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/seatbelt3.htm

The Kangol retractors in my S1 are the weighted pendulum type. This explains why seat belt doesn’t lock when yanked. 

58 minutes ago, NG5 said:

Yes these do look like the ones i have