Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Put a deposit down for a FE but ... - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Put a deposit down for a FE but ...

Citizen

Is it true that the battery of an Exige FE lasts only a couple of weeks, if not driven and on a trickle charger?

I do not have access to a power outlet in the communal garage, so how would I resolve that if that is true? I mean I would drive the car every now and then but sometimes it may stay more than a couple of weeks not driven..

Sorry for the stupid newbie question, but kind of panicking at the moment..  

Not just the FE, same with all Exiges - the alarm/immobiliser is quite a drain so 2-4 weeks (depending on battery condition and temperature in the garage) is about it before you could get problems. Using the central locking sets the alarm so you can extend your time a bit by locking with the key instead (totally different locking method) but I'm not sure your insurance would be too happy with that!

A battery isolator is not a bad idea but again, the alarm system will be inactive. If it's got a Lithium battery they are fitted with an automatic isolator to protect the battery itself, disconnects the battery when it gets close to being flat, not really much help though!

Buy a second battery and switch them over every few weeks? It's not difficult, the battery is easily accessible, in the boot.

EDIT: Just gave myself a telling off - less of the gloom! It's a truly spectacular car and will be well worth whatever is needed to make it work for you :) Congratulations on your purchase!

Edited by duncx

Any old battery will do, although maybe a leisure battery with carry handles and good for deep cycling is best? Don't order from Lotus, unless you particularly enjoy spending your money :lol:

In case parked for a long time, better lock the cars with the key (not keyfob buttons). In case of lithium battery, charge plugs on the front-end are mechanically disabled (to protect battery). You don't want to hear how to enter the vehicle than 😂 However, if parked for a long time, just use regular lock without the alarm and central locking. Sure it needs to be done on both doors. Hey... it's even documented in the manual 😂

• Like 1

Thank you all, so that then should all be very manageable then! I had a scare there for a moment..

Can I ask a couple more pieces of advice?

1. Do you know any Lotus friendly insurance?
  2. I am 6'2-6'3. Are there any types of helmets that might be like-for-like more compact so that I can fit for track days?
  3. What gloves do you guys use for track days?

Cheers,

S

9 hours ago, Citizen said:
  • Do you know any Lotus friendly insurance?
  • I am 6'2-6'3. Are there any types of helmets that might be like-for-like more compact so that I can fit for track days?
  • What gloves do you guys use for track days?

The correct answer to all 3 questions varies wildly based on personal circumstances, but...

If you intend to do track days, it is probably best to look for insurers who include this with your cover rather than pay for separate track day insurance. Reis, Moris, Adrian Flux often come up as worth a call.

I am a similar height and I struggled to fit comfortably in my Exige with or without out a helmet.  The real answer to this one is lower or tilt the seat, check out the Tillett range of seats that can be positioned much lower than the stock seat.

Kart gloves are cheaper than FIA approved gloves and absolutely fine for track days.

With regards to insurance, as Kenny says it will vary significantly by personal circumstances, but...

I am with Classicline on my Exige 410. Covered for 5000 miles a year. Policy includes cover for 6 track days with anyone, and an unlimited amount if they are organised through a club such as Lotus-On-Track. The cost is £811 per year. 

I don't have access to a trickle charger either so I used to remove the battery and charge it in the house every 6 weeks which is a faff. Got one of these now https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234501747497?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=pzj-g-8OAAAAKk0kQyLWoOp0DIQdAAAAAA

If the battery is a bit flat then this fires the car straight up.

I looked into helmets, they are all the same thickness between head and roof. As someone said you need to tilt the seat or replace it. I spent a while making some brackets to tilt the standard seats here: 

A few guys on here use them and may be a cheaper solution than getting a whole new seat.

22 hours ago, Toqcars said:

In case parked for a long time, better lock the cars with the key (not keyfob buttons). In case of lithium battery, charge plugs on the front-end are mechanically disabled (to protect battery). You don't want to hear how to enter the vehicle than 😂 However, if parked for a long time, just use regular lock without the alarm and central locking. Sure it needs to be done on both doors. Hey... it's even documented in the manual 😂

That isn't the case. If the lithium battery saver cuts off the battery, and you have locked the car with the key fob, the front battery posts under the front access panel are still connected to the rest of the cars wiring harness.

Just hook up an old fashioned charger that kicks out power no matter what (not a modern voltage sensing one) and you can then open the car with your fob again. Disconnect the charger from the front, open your boot, and you can then get to your battery 😉

1 hour ago, Davey D said:

That isn't the case. If the lithium battery saver cuts off the battery, and you have locked the car with the key fob, the front battery posts under the front access panel are still connected to the rest of the cars wiring harness.

Wait, what? It works like that? Than we just need some 12 VDC power source on the front clips to unlock the car. It's not that bad than, thanks for the info 😀 I was pretty sure those clips are just connected to the battery, not to the whole car. Let's just keep this info for us and don't share it between the owners, who were breaking into their own cars 😂

🤣 yeah it definitely works.  I figured it out myself after my battery went flat and it was locked with the remote.

It seemed too much of an oversight (even for lotus) to have to break into your car when the battery goes flat, so I just hooked up the power supply and it worked 😁😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Standing said:

I'm also with LV, 5,000 miles a year, no track days, premium £165.94 annual 😁

Good effort. Mine is on a second policy that hasn't reached full no claims bonus yet. Nice to see it will get even cheaper though. 😁

• Haha 1