Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tubular Quiet Track Exhaust (Silencer) - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tubular Quiet Track Exhaust (Silencer)

I’m sure this will have come up before but thought I’d post it as it may help someone else out in future. I’ve definitely got one incredible piece of advise….. use a gymnastic mat (my daughter doesn’t know I used hers yet and it’s pretty much wrecked now but I’ll get her another one) 😂

I put the Tubular quiet track exhaust on yesterday ahead of doing some track days this summer. It took me a minute to suss out which bit went where so I took plenty of photos in the hope that anyone else doing the same could refer to them if they’re doing the samething in the future.

The rear diffuser has to come off and I removed one of the side supports for the brackets. I thought it would be a case of just forcing it out with a screwdriver but it didn’t come out easily so I thought it would be better to just remove it as it was only a case of removing two bolts….

First job - remove diffuser 

344DB35F-A29D-4D50-A861-C4E3829D29A7.jpeg

1E9E8654-D2EF-4540-89B6-96C27E77DAAE.jpeg

After undoing all of the necessary exhaust bolts I removed one of the brackets to allow the silencer to come off

22DC917B-00AE-474D-8914-ACD7DF06FB3B.jpeg

Simplify, then add lightness

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 month later...

Do you know if the other exhausts can be changed like this? I thought they’d be spot welding or something involved!

I have a 420 I’m collecting next week specifically for the track and I’m a bit frustrated I need to change the exhaust straight away 😕

Pretty sure all backboxes are fitted the same way. 

Depends what track you are going to, Ive been on Croft, Donnington, Cadwell and Oulton with the standard exhaust. some tracks only do drive by noise monitoring so some tactical lifting of the throttle will make everything fine. 
Cadwell was the only close one for me with the static test was fluctuating from 105 to 106db but was allowed on at 105db.

I have the lotus track exhaust now which will get you on anywhere but if you are mainly doing tracks with a high db allowance then maybe make something like @Paul_D did with his slip on cannister. Certainly alot cheaper than the Lotus and 2bular offerings.

Thanks for this!

I'd like to try all tracks so if fitting is this simple - I think even I can do it!.

Would you be able link me to the "lotus track exhaust" for clarity? I did try looking but couldn't find anything on the lotus site.

18 hours ago, Yannie said:

...and I’m a bit frustrated I need to change the exhaust straight away 

You can thank JMG for that. However, as previously discussed, his logic did/does stack up. Unless you are a UK owner who wants to go on track, unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, Yannie said:

Would you be able link me to the "lotus track exhaust" for clarity? I did try looking but couldn't find anything on the lotus site.

Here you go:

https://parts.lotussilverstone.co.uk/p/Lotus_2021_Exige/ASSY--EXHAUST-SILENCER---TRACK/104888659/A138S0100S.html

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 19:59, Mitch Foden-Clarke said:

All done with carbon tips for now. I have got the additional extension pipes which would be easy to swap for the carbon tips if it’s still too loud for track use. 

I’m very pleased with it though and will leave it on for road use as it sounds good It’s louder than I was expecting (hopefully quiet enough for track) I’ll be doing several track days this summer and I don’t fancy swapping it every other week that’s for sure 🙈😂

8CE79902-EF93-4880-9B85-A3CB9B9023CE.jpeg

1B13F964-3CE0-4923-9711-E08C32FFE5F4.jpeg

Thanks to @tactical lizardfor sending the exhaust and enabling me to avoid the unpredictable lead time 👌 

Anyone notice in the photos that the Cup 430 chassis’ says Cup 380 on it 😂😂

Good work Mitch but not sure I'd want to work under the rear end with the jacking stands standing on loose gravel 😯

I have the same surface here and use a scaffolding board for stability and safety.

Just a thought 😉

9 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Sadly not......

Oh thats weird... It showed at £2200ish yesterday, I was checking the price and noted it was similar to the 2bular. I wouldn't have bothered posting the link if there was only 84 pence in it. Guess I'm still technically correct though... it is a "bit" cheaper 😂

On 08/06/2022 at 22:38, Rambo said:

Good work Mitch but not sure I'd want to work under the rear end with the jacking stands standing on loose gravel 😯

I have the same surface here and use a scaffolding board for stability and safety.

Just a thought 😉

Good point mate. I used to have 4 big blocks of timber that I’d put under the wheels of a Westfield I had years ago when working on it but when that one hit a tree the blocks of wood found their way into the workshop and they haven’t made it home again since. That being said I should bring them home because it’s a bit of extra piece of mind as you say 👍

On 07/06/2022 at 16:40, Yannie said:

Do you know if the other exhausts can be changed like this? I thought they’d be spot welding or something involved!

I have a 420 I’m collecting next week specifically for the track and I’m a bit frustrated I need to change the exhaust straight away 😕

On 07/06/2022 at 16:40, Yannie said:

As far as I’m aware they all just unbolt and slide on/off fairly easily. The biggest portion of the work is removing and replacing the diffuser 

The biggest ongoing issue is when you take exhaust off and on a few times.

The hanger bracket bolts screw to a very dubiously allegedly welded plate that has the 2 nuts on. 

The plate will eventually part company with the chassis and is them a right pita to line up 

Thought it might be of interest but since fitting the 2bular track exhaust I’ve been to Cadwell and Bedford. I was a bit slow getting organised in the morning at Cadwell and just as I queued for the static test they announced that they weren’t noise testing any more cars (ever though there were only two of us left to do?) and it would now be done in the pits before the sighting laps. It never happened though and nobody questioned it but I’m confident that it would have been fine and if not I’d brought the extension cans if required. 

Bedford on the other hand was a complete nightmare. I stupidly didn’t research the actual bB limits at any tracks I just thought that with the track exhaust and additional extension cans if required I’d be totally fine. 

I found out the hard way that Bedford is the most strict track in the whole of the UK for noise limits. On the whole most UK circuits are around 92dB drive by but Bedford is the only track that is 87.5dB and because of this lots of people lift at the mic’s and drive away from them. I don’t want to have to lift at any track I think it puts a huge dampener on the day if you can’t go flat out where you want too.

I passed the static test at Bedford but then got black flagged for noise pretty soon into it. I said that I’d put the extension cans on and that should do it. I did a couple 20 minutes runs but then got black flagged for noise again. I was clocked at 92dB which would be fine pretty much anywhere else. 

I know it’s not Bedford’s fault that it’s so strict there and it’s purely down to the local council but I definitely wouldn’t go back there even though I absolutely loved the track. 

Santa Pod drag strip is in the same vicinity and has no noise regulations at all. One of the Marshall’s told me that they get away with it because it’s been there for so long. 

In summary I think you’d be fine at any track in the UK with the 2bular track exhaust just not Bedford unless you’re willing to lift and avoid mic’s which I’d much rather not have to do but I know some people don’t mind doing it. In fact I hung around to watch the evening session that day and a guy had a Cup430 with the standard exhaust. He knew where and when to lift and I think he still enjoyed himself. 

Hopefully that info helps someone. I’ll be doing 4 more track days this year so will update my findings 👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Foden-Clarke said:

In summary I think you’d be fine at any track in the UK with the 2bular track exhaust just not Bedford unless you’re willing to lift and avoid mic’s which I’d much rather not have to do but I know some people don’t mind doing it. In fact I hung around to watch the evening session that day and a guy had a Cup430 with the standard exhaust. He knew where and when to lift and I think he still enjoyed himself. 

Just so I'm following along correctly - the 2bular one is louder than the Lotus track one? And if yes, why did you prefer that one?

No I think you’ve got confused mate the guy with the Cup 430 who was lifting didn’t have a track exhaust (Lotus or 2bular) he had the EOM standard factory titanium exhaust which would get you flagged at any track. He was getting around the issue by lifting at the mic’s and avoiding them. That’s not something that I would enjoy or want to do personally but I was giving the example that if you are willing to lift and avoid mic’s you could use any exhaust because the OEM exhaust is very loud. 

Seriously Lotus have had track exhausts on back order from Lotus for ages and unless things have changed recently they didn’t even know if or when they’d be getting any and there was a queue you could join if you wanted too

I had no issues at Bedford with the lotus track exhaust. So I guess you could say it is quieter than the 2bular.

On 11/06/2022 at 07:10, Yannie said:

Just so I'm following along correctly - the 2bular one is louder than the Lotus track one? And if yes, why did you prefer that one?

• Like 1