Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige Sport 410 Tyres - Cup 2 Substitutes - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige Sport 410 Tyres - Cup 2 Substitutes

There appear to be no Michelin Sport Cup 2 tyres available in the UK (at least in Exige 410 rear sizes). All suppliers who are advertising come back to say, oh sorry, none available. News from Michelin (one source) "We can see 14 weeks ahead and no producation is scheduled." News from Michelin direct (from someone who had a car in their Super car paddock at FoS) Zilch. My rears are cooked and won't pass the MOT due in 2 weeks time. No recommendation from Lotus, Bell and Colvill (my trusty and much estimed Lotus Dealer), Lotus Silverstone, or anyne else. I am probably going to go with Michelin PS 5s (the PS4 replacement) but does anyone have any recommendations for a Sport Cup 2 replacement? (The fronts have a bit of wear left and I only want to replace the rears right now.)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
57 minutes ago, AlanSears said:

(The fronts have a bit of wear left and I only want to replace the rears right now.)

Not sure it would be safe, nor advisable to mix new/old tyres of different makes/compounds. I certainly would not be happy driving around in that combo at any speed.

I think @rallyesax works for Michelin.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

PS5s aren't really very comparable to the Cup 2s. You'll be very oversteery I imagine if keeping the Cups on the front.

Tried to have a quick look but I can't see much of anything available in a 285/30/18 that compares to the Cups. The sorts of things I'd look for though are Pirelli P Zero Trofeo, Toyo R888 or Nankang AR1 (but I'd get the Cups if possible above all of them).

@C8RKH is right. Don't mix anything with your Cup 2. Go for a brand new set of PS4S if available in your size (I believe not). PS5 is a good tire on a golf GTI but not what you are looking for on an Exige especially coming from a Cup2.

Or go with another tyre manufacturer. The one above for example or If you find a good semi slick with Bridgestone or Good year. 

Tyre supply is really complicated currently. I've got Cup2 for my Evora right before the stocks when out and I'm still waiting for PS4S for my other car since February, even though it is the company I'm working for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If only Michelin had kept their factory in Dundee open - it was only about 18 miles away from me lol........  

What's the issue with tyre supply @rallyesax? Is it shortage of the rubber, silca is it, or other compounds?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, AlanSears said:

There appear to be no Michelin Sport Cup 2 tyres available in the UK (at least in Exige 410 rear sizes). All suppliers who are advertising come back to say, oh sorry, none available. News from Michelin (one source) "We can see 14 weeks ahead and no producation is scheduled." News from Michelin direct (from someone who had a car in their Super car paddock at FoS) Zilch. My rears are cooked and won't pass the MOT due in 2 weeks time. No recommendation from Lotus, Bell and Colvill (my trusty and much estimed Lotus Dealer), Lotus Silverstone, or anyne else. I am probably going to go with Michelin PS 5s (the PS4 replacement) but does anyone have any recommendations for a Sport Cup 2 replacement? (The fronts have a bit of wear left and I only want to replace the rears right now.)

I have a brand new set with stickers on etc.

They are a late 2021 manufacture and I purchased them in Feb this year 

I have switched to Nankang AR1’s on my track wheels so will probably not go back to Cup 2’s

If interested let me know 

• Like 2

Hi Colin - I will absolutely buy those from you if not ludicrously priced (which I don't suppose would be the case from anyone one this forum!). Can you drop me a line at alan.sears@vybrant.org and I will gladly arrange payment and sort out collection.

Due to the supply issues, it's worth keeping an eye on ebay at the moment.

My rears aren't quite ready for replacement, but it won't be too much longer. I managed to get a pair of 285/30/18 Cup2's (with 5mm of tread left) off ebay for £200.  I wouldn't normally look for used tyres, but these are unusual circumstances.

At the time there was also a single brand new tyre for sale. If you start looking far enough in advance you may be lucky.

Many thanks to all for advice on alternatives and huge thanks to Tex for coming up with a brand new pair of Cup2 rears - exactly what I needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2022 at 16:21, Jl47 said:

What alternative sizes will work ? Can a 275/35 or a 295/30 fit ok ?

I needed to add a spacer to fit the 295 at rear, but I have more than 2° of camber. It should fit if less. If more, wheel (not rubber) hits the helper spring.

Regarding mixing the setups... I used to run Cup2 at front and Trofeo R at the rear. Haven't noticed any issues on a road. Car was better on a road compared to the cup2. It was also faster on a track, but not balanced. TC was panicking like crazy because no grip (compared to the rear) at front. 

19 hours ago, Toqcars said:

I needed to add a spacer to fit the 295 at rear, but I have more than 2° of camber. It should fit if less. If more, wheel (not rubber) hits the helper spring.

Just for people's general info, the standard camber setting on the rear is 2.10°. Up to 2.25° is within factory tolerances, so I'd have thought you'd need to be significantly over that for the wheel to be hitting anything.

My car had 1.5° from the factory. I have cup 430 FE. My friend’s car had 1.5° from the factory, his car is cup 430 FE. Talked with a mechanic who aligned another 390 FE and it had around 1.5° as well. 

Max that we were able to get with the OEM parts on my car was 1.75°. Oh, and alignment rig is regularly calibrated. 

2 cars were made for German market, 390 FE was made for the Italian market. Not sure why different to your cars. Market difference? Doubt it 🙂 

@Toqcars That's interesting. When I had mine done, the 'as found' was just under 2 degrees, and they were able to set it to 2.25° for me.

This it what is in the Lotus Service notes regarding rear suspension settings on the various models

Rear Suspension.JPG

@Paul_D do you have an OEM spacer on your rear wheels (3 mm)?

I am super curious why our cars are different. Wheel hits the helper spring when camber is over 2°. Thanks for the service notes, now it makes sense why I had issues with the grip on the track compared to all others. Also explains highly uneven semi-slicks wear compared to all others.  

Yeah, the 410 wheels are the same as the 430 and have the 3mm spacer installed. 

Im curious now as to how close my wheel might be to hitting the helper spring! 

• 2 weeks later...

As no cup 2's are available anywhere and it seems they dont do Michelin Pilot sport 4S in our sizes or Goodyear eagle F1 supersport so

its looking like full on track tyres like Avon ZZR (though I like Toyo R888R you cant get them in our sizes!) which isnt ideal for the way my car is used, so, its

looking like I may have to get something like Bridgestone potenza sport for a mixed use of track and road, or, any other suggestions very welcome.

Martin S

Just sold all my spare Cup 2’s tyres ,as: 

I am now on Nankang AR’1s which are a far superior track and fast warm weather road tyre.

Excellent grip, a tiny bit heavier and noisier than Cup 2’s and ok in light rain.

As you stated PS4S would be the ideal road tyre choice but not available in any remotely useable sizes unfortunately 

• Like 1

2 track days in and look fine. 

I did find the Cup 2 ‘s went off quickly on a warmer day and wore the outside edge more than is visible with the AR1’s. They Certainly have far more grip 

Time will tell but at 25% less than a set of Cup 2’s, the AR1’s look promising.

Going to Hethel in a couple of weeks so will know more after that 

• Like 1