Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Elite owner - Page 2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New Elite owner

On 14/10/2022 at 20:55, Pete Silcock said:

I read somewhere that the Pilkington mould has warped and their screens dont fit anymore.

No direct experience, just something I read somewhere.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
26 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Interesting to know - I'd assumed they were all the same.  Do you know how they differ Dave?

I have an Elite in the garage, an Excel on the drive and a new Lotusbits screen in the spare bedroom. It was bought for the Elite and will get fitted one day - honestly.

When I get a few minutes, I'll lay it over both cars and see how they compare.

Tony

• Like 2

I visited Lotusbits before I bought the car, to get an idea of what you could still get.

I did not know at the time that my screen was damaged but it was said that there are two suppliers and one type does not fit.

I should have time tp call and ask tomorrow and will post the result

Pete

I honestly don't know the difference but Lotusbits list different prices for elite/eclat and excel. Mike Taylor will be the one to say the difference. I had one of the distorted screens fitted to my Excel and it was a pain for the fitter to try and fit. Having been put in the picture by Mike I bought one of his and fitted the screens myself and it was a perfect fit and easy to install. Be wary of the glue on your hands its a pig to get off.

I only got hold of the staff at Lotus bits today

Whether it was being coy or did know I have no idea

All they said was that the ones they sell fit properly

Interesting it seems not to be the Elite with the problem.

I will be asking for advice when I do mine on removing the ally trim without damage

Tips and warnings will be very useful

Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Silcock said:

Tips and warnings will be very useful

I've not not tips yet, as still on my to do list, but my comment would be too look after the two longer horizontal pieces VERY carefully. They are unobtainium.

Tony

Quite that is my concern the bits you can't get

Someone seems to have been a bit excited with a sealant gun too

I am looking to get the anodising removed dress and improve the trims then re-anodise before refitting.

I have sort of allowed several evenings to remove the trim without damage

Pete

4 hours ago, Pete Silcock said:

I am looking to get the anodising removed dress and improve the trims then re-anodise before refitting.

I'm doing that at the moment - it's really hard getting a flat/smoot finish 😕.  You can't just re-anodise either - it has to be bright anodising - much more difficult to get done.

Pete

Luckily we do have a bright anodising company in Devon, Teign Metal Finishes

I am going to take the trims to them before any works to get advice

Removing the anodising seems to be quite simple using a caustic oven cleaner then giving even hardness.

On 11/11/2022 at 20:21, Pete Silcock said:

Removing the anodising seems to be quite simple using a caustic oven cleaner

Try that on a piece you don't intend to re-use.  I couldn't get it to work.  Had the anodic layer removed professionally on my parts - didn't cost much.

Pete

Thanks for that, I was worried about the diy claims on removal.

My local anodiser  - who cannot do bright said they use a caustic tank - which is the stuff in oven cleaner

I will try on an unimportant part.

I'm sure they will, as you say, remove the anodising at a sensible cost, not worth risking pats you cannot get!!

Pete