Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
92 SE leaking out of front body - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

92 SE leaking out of front body

KaeptnNemo
Go to solution Solved by CarBuff,

Hello !

After having my 92 SE for around 8 weeks now, the problems start to get worse.

While renewing the bursted clutch, I am detecting water coming out of the GFRP in the front area. Looking under the car, der is a triangle shaped profile with two small holes in it (sorry, no picture on hand). from there, a small trickle of water is running down my garage floor, but it is too less to see a change in any water tank. I tend to say, it is no rain water or something, because the car has been in the garage vor 4 weeks now.

I cannot really taste anything sweet or oily or anything unusual...

Is that a common problem ?

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Patrick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
59 minutes ago, KaeptnNemo said:

too less to see a change in any water tank

Both header tanks? There are two radiators down there, one for engine coolant & one for the charge cooler. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

• Solution

You said it isn't water, but BE SURE that it isn't from a clogged headlamp bucket, full of water.

They hold a LOT.

(To be safe) unplug the pod motors and manually crank the pods up, with the knobs provided.

If you see even a trace of moisture or debris, clear the drain holes with a pipe-cleaner or a long zip-tie. Usually easier to release the linkages so that the pods can be pulled up, fully.

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Opening the pods manually is very easy, just turn the knobs at the end of the motor. If you have ABS, the left one will be a bit harder to reach but still doable. Doesn't take longer than looking with an endoscope. 😉 You don't even need to unplug them, just make sure nobody plays around with the controls while you have your hands there. Next time you power up, the pods will automatically return to the correct position.

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 25/10/2022 at 05:13, Escape said:

You don't even need to unplug them,

I've had the motors try to drive the pods to the HOME position if you don't unplug.

SURPRISE! 😨

(With the battery disconnected, this isn't an issue, of course)

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

2 hours ago, CarBuff said:

I've had the motors try to drive the pods to the HOME position if you don't unplug.

SURPRISE! 😨

(With the battery disconnected, this isn't an issue, of course)

I think I did have the motors kick in, but only when a pod stayed up and I turned the knob to close it. When washing my Esprit I wound out the pods manually without problems. Only when turning the ignition on again, they would automatically close.

You are definitely correct that the pods can operate with ignition off though, as they're powered from a permanent live.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.