Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
PIN STRIPE Stevens turbo - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

PIN STRIPE Stevens turbo

Hi Guys I'm looking at re applying the gold pin stripe down the side of my 88 Stevens turbo. Only issue is I don't know how thick it should be? I have 3mm in my head for some reason is this correct? Has anyone got an original car never been painted with the original pin stripe tape still on the car? Maybe could measure theirs?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by mattthesparks lotus esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, mattthesparks lotus esprit said:

Only issue is I don't know how thick it should be?

Specified in the parts manual.

• Like 2

Cheers,

John W

If you can't find it in the parts manual, I could measure our original-finish Esprit's stripes.  

Along with details on how the 'ends' were applied at the door openings, etc.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

If you call up my Profile and squint a bit 😅 you can see the stripe.

Let me know if I need to get the yardstick out of storage. 😊

• Haha 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

OK, I measured our original stripes.

They are 1/8" wide ( just over 3mm) and they wrap around the edges of the panel gaps.  Take a look at how the door openings were done.

image.png.9aec4b235531ebd42de4f549be1efbd7.png

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

That is on the latch (trailing) side of the B pillar. They also wrapped the tape around the edges of the body on the other gaps.

I've done a bit of auto pin-striping and vinyl graphics (this, before wraps became a 'thing') and we always cut the stripes BEFORE the panel gaps. They did not curve into the bodywork.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I hope you get it back on the road for the Masters Historic Festival! Not Long now you know mate😁

• Like 1

Love that the G-Esprit door mirrors were kept for the early X180s. I think they switched to the CX units by 1989?

• Like 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

1 hour ago, maydharm said:

I hope you get it back on the road for the Masters Historic Festival! Not Long now you know mate😁

All ready for the masters mate. And paid up. 

1 hour ago, Jack Stone said:

Love that the G-Esprit door mirrors were kept for the early X180s. I think they switched to the CX units by 1989?

Yes you're exactly right 1989 they fitted the cx mirrors. And sadly that mean that finding that driver wiring loom is is possible. And someone butchered mine years ago. 

• Sad 1

@mattthesparks lotus esprit Do you know the original source of the G Esprit mirrors?

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I will add  - old tyres on esprits are awful. Anything over 4 years old tyre wise and the car will behave awfully. Modern tyres just don’t last and esprits just don’t like them.

• Like 1

Only here once

2020 new batch fitted 2 weeks before covid hit and we went in to lockdown. 

They where very dirty in those pics. So that's probably why they look bad. Here's a pic from brands hatch on Sunday. Much nicer. 

Edited by mattthesparks lotus esprit
Hadn't finished writing.
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I will add  - old tyres on esprits are awful. Anything over 4 years old tyre wise and the car will behave awfully. Modern tyres just don’t last and esprits just don’t like them.

Yes makes a massive difference, the car feels so much more planted on the road and inspires Confidence in the corners!