Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric Chargecooler Pump vs uprated impellor - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric Chargecooler Pump vs uprated impellor

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hand in the first pic doesn't belong to you, does it Bibsy? :rant:

I think I recognise the screwdriver attachment you're holding in the second pic, too. If memory serves from my funtimes in Wales, that belongs to a certain blue person.....

Busted! :thumbup:

I helped, you can even see a little oil on one of my fingers!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Here's what my pump impeller looked like when I bought my car.

ExfhZSqqn8cWbxSkKJJE6iYNPgTg27ZivhTfpNcX

I made a new one out of stainless, that was scored after 9 miles... yes I checked. So I made a new one with a harder ground surface. But still the blades wouldn't last.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

im going for the electric pump, mine been leaking on and off for 2 years now, had new seals and found out the impellar was bent and trashed them.

GKP - did you say dont as it weighs more LOL,,,,you weight saving loons need to take a leaf out of my book ha ha ha "ooOOOO i replaced a a bolt today and saved a gram", no remove the wing mirrors/door handles/fog lights/rear light conversion. thats weight saving BAHAHAHA

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

This is the Johnson CM30P7-1 from Auto Performance Engineering in Nevada for $125 plus postage.

Their site;

www.APEusa.com

You can see the bracket I made. I wrapped the pump in some rubber and in the end only used 1 hose clamp to hold it. For simplified bleeding I fitted a length of 3mm hose to a T piece about 15cms before the inlet. Bring the end to the same height as the intercooler, fill the intercooler and once the coolant is coming out of the breather plug it.

lotusicpumpandaccbracket30-3-07006.jpg

Edited by DanR

DanR

A number of options detailed here

I got a Johnson pump model cmp30p7-1 from Auto Performance Engineering. It costs about $125.. It's a 12v magnetically coupled pump. You'll have to sort out the wiring based on the LEW write up.

Trevor

Just stripped down my chargecooler pump. The impeller was in 1 piece but the rubber had glued itself to the pump body and come away from the shaft...no wonder my chargecooler was hot!!

Got the chargecooler radiator ready to go in,,,now that is a fun job

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• 7 months later...

I fitted a new (improved) impellor about 9,000km ago and it has just failed (not from PUK). It looked ok when I opened up the pump, but when I turned the drive shaft, the impellor didn't move (similar problem as the previous poster, but the rubber wasn't really glued to the pump body). It wasn't the rubber fingers which fell to pieces, but the rubber detaching from the smooth surface of the brass collar. Does the PUK impellor have some sort of spline to prevent slippage? Would someone have pics of the PUK impellor?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ian

Edited by Qavion

• 1 year later...

Ian, usually the rubber is vulcanised onto the metal drive bush inside - I dunno how they do polyurethane but the contact between the two will be similar if not identical - it's just fused on.

It's a very common failure - even happens on sailing boats :)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I would say that my friend is worthy of a refund. Its a shocker of a parts failure, and based on the number of chuncks that have come off you will have to flush the system , which i am told aches yours balls.

Why didn't you get the yellow one?

The yellow one is supposed to last forever, the orange/red one is only a 12 month model..

Stoopid!!!!!

Agree with Alex on the refund front, infact all failed impellors should be refunded!

Chunky Lover