Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cup 250 - Steering squeak due to foam around steering column - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cup 250 - Steering squeak due to foam around steering column

Hey guys, 

Does anyone have this in their Elise? My previous sport 220 didn’t have this and from pictures of other Elise’s steering columns, I can’t see any foam that leads into the bulkhead. Anyone have an idea of why it’s there or any negative effects that ripping it out might cause? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

All Elise should have something there to stop the outside getting in. Earlier cars had a rubber grommet (that squeaks), later cars had a foam grommet (that squeaks).

Lubricate it.

I didn’t want to leave it because it makes an incredibly annoying noise and it’s not down in the bulkhead that I could lubricate, it’s the front of the grommet rubbing on the u joint and didn’t fancy lubricant dribbling into the footwell, I also imagine the lubricant will do it’s job for about 5 minutes and then the squeaking will occur again but I could be wrong. 

I asked this because as I stated I didn’t experience the noise on my previous Elise and have never seen any pedal box pictures of a foam grommet they have always been neat, low profile rubber ones. It seemed like someone just put a random bit of foam there. I’ll try a bit of lubricant if the foam should stay there. 

I appreciate the help

The universal joint has probably been tightened up a bit too close to the hole it goes into, so perhaps loosen off both bolts and see if you can move it out 1 or 2 mm further away? Note that it needs proper force to re-tighten the bolts completely, otherwise you'll get a tiny amount of play in the steering (been there, done that).

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, stevensr34 said:

The universal joint has probably been tightened up a bit too close to the hole it goes into, so perhaps loosen off both bolts and see if you can move it out 1 or 2 mm further away? Note that it needs proper force to re-tighten the bolts completely, otherwise you'll get a tiny amount of play in the steering (been there, done that).

May be possible.  Ensure the pinch bolts are correctly positioned through the slots on the upper and intermediate columns, with protrusion of each into the UJ.  30nm is the torque for the pinch bolt.  Critical safety area, be sure to get it right.

On 29/04/2023 at 14:46, B.R. said:

it’s the front of the grommet rubbing on the u joint

Sounds unusual - photo might help if you can grab one.

Dave