Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Year 6 maths sats exam - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Year 6 maths sats exam

pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They all require basic maths to work out. I recall learning algebra for my 11 plus exam (many years ago now). 

Maybe kids should be better educated so this isn't hard for them? Or maybe I'm out of touch, not really sure.

First question was a headscratcher though :) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

On 15/05/2023 at 19:45, pete said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/year-6-maths-sats-reading-paper-b2338851.html.                         Need to remember how old the children are taking this

I got one right....do I pass?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

You'd get a medal even if you got none right.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Tbf - I do think kids are under the most extreme testing pressures and regime these days. I’m not sure it’s fair on those going through this process the constant media rhetoric that it gets easier every year. Ive seen directly first hand the GCSE and A level work demands on these young people.

Only here once

I'd love to see younger kids, under say 12, doing what kids should do. Imagination, Being creative and playing. Whether that's painting or art based, Getting their hands dirty planting a garden or making things go broom. carpentry or metalwork etc. Things that are fun but also promote the trades and arts. Why do they have to sit in orderly rows being preached at and having death by powerpoint. 

I remember when I were t'lad we read Tolkien as a class (Classes being much smaller 45 years ago) We all had a part to read so we identified as the character. I was Pippin one of the halflings. We got to create the character in our head and put on voices etc. It was hilarious and great fun but we learnt to read much more adult literature, difficult words and also expand our creative side!

My granddaughter in contrast was given a book title and told to get her mom to buy it and read it at home as homework. They then critique it and have to write articles about it. She's 10. 

When it comes to Math, I am shockingly shit. I am brilliant with numbers. Start shouting out numbers to add together and its easy, as is subtraction. I can do books and read accounts, but any of that crap x+1= Fucktifiknow and I switch off. It took me 6 times to scrape a C at O level and I never wanted to see any math again. And, to be honest, I have never ever used any of that crap in reallife!

Let kids be kids but in a controlled and disciplined environment. (Don't get me started on Discipline).

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

My usually calm son is doing his A levels at the moment, Business, Economics and Geography not that it matters. He is so stressed which is nothing like him (many on here know him), to be fair he has really put his head down and has been costing us a fortune in tutors for Economics (which obviously he is lucky we are able to do) but WTF, he doesn't want to go to Uni which I totally get and wants to go to work.

I am sure he will be fine, but we do still need bricklayers, electricians, ground workers, etc (in fact I was at a site meeting today and the ground workers MD turned up in a new S63 Coupe it was lovely). We need to get this country back and get away from everyone wanting to work in the city or whatever.

• Gold FFM

Damn right mate.  I went to Grammar and achieved the necessary, but the best thing is a blue collar hands-on trade.  Certainly saved my bacon.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

And some of the best paid jobs are still Electricians, Chippies, Plumbers etc. My Heating Engineer is 51 and only works part time because "I earn more than enough doing call outs2-3 days a week!".

• Gold FFM

He'll be buying me lunch soon.  What a guy...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, pete said:

The only ones earning at the moment are electricians @Dan E

to be fair @pete we are actually turning down work at the moment and I am not making that up. I put in a price for a job to lose it last week and we won it. 

Sparkles I will see on the 16th without my wallet