Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1974 elite starting problems - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1974 elite starting problems

my 1974 Elite is a Canadian registered car. The car was refurbished about 8 years ago. It was rewired but whoever did that did not follow the wiring diagram (for Federal Lotus elites).

Despite that it was running very well without any electrical issues. However one day it would not attempt to start. when switching the ignition key, there is a chatter from one or more relays under the glove box

but does not allow the starter motor to even turn. The starter motor was tested and works fine off the car. The battery is fully charged. Wiring from battery to starter checked out fine.

Does anyone know or where to find what these relays are? Or know of a sudden reason for the starting problem?

Sorry this is so long but it is driving me to distraction.   Ian.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Make sure the engine is connected to the chassis with an earth strap, it could be bad connection between the body of the starter and negative, earth.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to adopt the Lotus position and listen carefully to the relays while someone else turns the key - the original wiring has no relays in the starter circuit.  A mechanic's stethoscope is handy.  Does the main power cable from the battery look OK?

Pete

As above, most common cause of starter not turning is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring.

You really need to find the relay, either by listening which one clicks or by tracing the wires. Starter wire is typically white-red. Once you find the relay, put a jumper across it (car in neutral!) and see if that makes the starter turn. If it does, it's the relay or wiring to it. If not, the problem is between relay and starter. I have had an intermittent bad contact in the ignition barrel last year (non-Lotus), that got so bad it wouldn't even engage the relay. By following the above method, I at least knew where to look.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.