Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1993.5 S4 Esprit engine compartment electrics(early) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1993.5 S4 Esprit engine compartment electrics(early)

stevefh
Go to solution Solved by Escape,

Hi all,    these two items are situated just below where the S4 twin header tanks are fixed.

On the larger is written RISTS, has a rubber ring around it and sits in the white clip. How does it come apart to clean it, can find nothing on utube.

Is the other rubber covered item in the thick white ,with red trace wire ,(starter circuit?) just a connector or something else.  Does it come apart for cleaning and repair.Thanks for any help.IMG_0188.jpeg.f419f1efc5394a5de7dd656f42603315.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

The round black plug should just pull apart. There is a seal inside, so it might (will) take some effort to wiggle it lose after so many years. The thick white/red wire should be the starter circuit. I'd leave that alone, as long as it's closed it shouldn't need cleaning.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

To specify further, that largish 'collar' or ring is the connector's seal. You should be able to work it either up or down, then the connector will come apart relatively easily. Try loosening (gently) with a small screwdriver, non-metallic if you have one, it's probably just stuck.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hi,   Sprayed it with releasing fluid and it came apart fairly easily and showed no signs of corrosion after 30 years.The rubber sleeve over the join in the starter harnesses is split at one end and showing a little “green” corrosion but should not be a problem at 12v. I haven’t yet fathomed out how the sleeve was originally put on.Thanks again.IMG_0205.jpeg.9f3a969a34fe7d1f23ccb75f48a7c89d.jpegIMG_0204.jpeg.02fb20aa91ada387d89bdb44c08c7dba.jpeg

• Like 2