Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Left turn signal random malfunction - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Left turn signal random malfunction

Every once in a while when I use my left turn signal I get the fast blink like one of them is out. Sometimes it changes as the signal is flashing (goes from fast back to slow). This seems to only happen on hotter days (80F/26C or hotter) and has never happened with the right signal.

I haven't been able to catch it in the act from outside the car, but a couple of times the steering angle seemed to affect it. This leads me to believe it's not an intermittent LED in the headlight/side marker/taillight, but something is up with the stalk and/or wiring inside the steering column.  I removed the column lower shroud and inspected the wiring and don't see any chafing or damage.  I was thinking of trying a new stalk next, but cannot figure out what the correct Ford part number is and where to buy a new one.  

Has anyone come across this before? 

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the part numbers.  So it's either 98AG13335BE or 1S7T13335BE?  Mine has the info button.  I will see if I can find the part number on the existing one without having to pull everything apart (aside from the lower column cover).  

Where can I order these new?  I was having a hard time finding a good site that sells OE Ford parts.

I bought mine off ebay. Steering column is very easy to take apart, just lower and extend it as much as possible and the squeeze in the tabs on the left and right. Part number will be visible on the top in an orange sticket. Mine was 98AG13335BG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone recommend an online parts retailer for Ford parts (UK or Europe based)?  I am struggling to find someone that carries this part new.  I contacted https://shop.ford.co.uk/ but they don't carry this part.  They told me to check PartsPlusUK, which seems to be a brick and mortar store and doesn't sell parts online.  I am located in the US so I would need order this online and have it shipped.  From what I have found, the correct stalk with the info button was only used on the Mk3 Mondeo.  The Mk1 Focus uses the same stalk but doesn't have the info button.  Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by roarf

Am I right in thinking you are still in the process of elimination or are you certain it’s the stalk? Just wondering if the former, whether a used eBay part might do the trick to test it.  Appreciate there’s always a risk it is faulty but as a test mule it might be more cost efficient than buying new, if you find one new of course.

I'm not certain it's the stalk, but a couple of times it seemed like steering angle seemed to affect it.  That being said, it doesn't happen very often, so I cannot replicate the issue on command.  I figured swapping out the stalk would be a cheap-ish and easy way to see if that fixes it.  New OE would be preferred, but maybe aftermarket (Vemo, Febi, etc.) would also be ok.