Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira starting issues - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira starting issues

I can't find anything relating to this, so just wondered if any other owners have had this issue.

I sent my car to Lotus Bristol on a transporter for the recalls and a couple of niggles I had with the car such as DAB not working, Brakes with odd wear, parcel net broken etc.

It was transported back whilst I was out of the country. First drive, no problem until I stopped at the supermarket. On getting back in it took 4 or 5 goes on the starter to fire up.  Fast forward a few hours, went to go back out in it and it wouldn't start, just sound like the starter was whirring but not engaging. I must have tried 20 times to no avail and called the AA out. They came the following day and, low and behold, it fired straight up. The AA guy managed to get it to do the issue I'd experienced and duly drove it off (wasn't hugely happy with this but he said it was policy if it started).

They've now had the car almost 6 weeks and I've had no real meaningful updates from them other than "waiting for Lotus technical". I had to suffer 4 weeks of a Kia Xceed (a truly horrible and gutless car); they've upgraded me to a Merc A200 which is actually a fairly nice car but obviously not an Emira!  Also incurring insurance and tax costs/losses

Anyone else experienced this?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This could be to do with a software update which is causing a few issues and Lotus pretty much are there with a resolution. If you ask the detail to register your issue with Lotus Retail they'll be sure to get in touch as soon as the fix is official. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

So it appears I have this issue too, however I also have noticed that the time from pressing the start button to the starter motor turning has changed significantly, it used to be almost immediately, it’s now 4 or 5 seconds, makes you think you have not pushed the button properly, so you do which restarts the starting cycle etc, very alarming. So does anyone know if the software update is ready?

I know various faults inhibit the starting cycle, but these come with associated yellow/red warnings, but is this starting delay telling me something?

I've heard from them today - apparently they are near to a solution with it and my car is plugged in and remotely being dealt with by Lotus themselves...

Did you get the software updates? I'm convinced they messed up the release...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nope - they have renewed the hire car for another month (!) so yesterday I wrote a formal complaint (and letter before action) delivered SD to Matt Windle asking for an explanation as to why they have kept my car hostage for 3 months without a single update from their customer service and their dealership in Bristol basically copy/pastes the same reply to me when I ask him. I suppose, at least he responds even if it is meaningless...

I've said I think the car is not fit for purpose and that a refund is likely required now...

I'll update when/if I get a response...I'm not hugely holding my breath unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Would love to know if you get a meaningful response @JimyFloyd

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I too have same issues STILL.  Now over 7 weeks and the car unusable.  

Dealing with Escalations team, but they too never respond.

The dealer tells me this issue is affecting 1 in 10 cars (for now).  They have tried uninstalling latest updates, but that too appears ineffective.

Have you had any further info.?

Imminent is a strong word.  I was told that Lotus had no fix for this which, by just the base facts, is obviously the case. My car is now on week 14 of not being in my possession.

My letter was received by Lotus on Friday morning - thus far radio silence (which is exactly what I expected) but I wrote the letter in case I need to take them to court over the matter...

Not that I do, but if something happened whereby I'd need to sell the car for the money, I'd be stuffed...!

Lotus can't give an exact time as that would be a commitment to that date, but all I've been told is that it's not far off now, they are working hard to resolve it but it affects all cars differently so it's been hard to come up with a 'catch all' solution, is my understanding. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I can't understand how it could affect cars differently and (seemingly) others not at all - on that latter point, I don't know if those still working fine have had the update or not. However, they're the same cars with the same components. I also don't understand how they couldn't roll back the software to the version before update. The car didn't do this in the first 2k miles I put on and almost immediately started doing it after I had got it back from the dealer...

On the tracker, interestingly, the car is registering 11.5V so I doubt it is plugged in or on a battery conditioner, which is concerning. In fact, I might contact the dealer again about that point.

31 minutes ago, JimyFloyd said:

On the tracker, interestingly, the car is registering 11.5V so I doubt it is plugged in or on a battery conditioner, which is concerning. In fact, I might contact the dealer again about that point.

They may not have the facilities to keep all cars on chargers. I would not be surprised if they were monitoring the cars and cycled them through the chargers to maintain and condition the batteries. 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

They may not have the facilities to keep all cars on chargers. I would not be surprised if they were monitoring the cars and cycled them through the chargers to maintain and condition the batteries. 

They're a supercar dealer, so they should. But they confirmed that they hadn't been, so will now do it. It's got a tracker so it will drain it dead if they don't...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not sure if the same problem but I was just getting a faint whirring sound  a couple of times on pressing starter button but a press of the unlock button on the key fixed my issues.

I was also getting a SOS system needs a test on startup, and a yellow warning triangle on dash, which is basically "a take back to dealer" job in manual and as I was getting this,  I also got my new C-Tech charging leads to fit to the car battery.  Car battery wasn't in good condition.  Dealer said concurrently that that warning is common and usually low voltage.  After a full 36 hours hooked up to charger and battery okay fault went away......

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this, there is new software out about a week ago that all Emira's so far should get updated.  I just waited at dealer last week and it took 45 mins.  It seems it was a common problem not starting.  Mine was getting a lot worse.  The fix if you can call it that if it happens to you before you get the update is to lock and unlock the car.  You can do it sitting in it.  The trick is to wait until you hear a click after I think about 1 minute or so which is the car fully shutting down before you unlock it,

• Like 2

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023