Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Handbrake and brake light illuminate when brake pedal is pressed - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Handbrake and brake light illuminate when brake pedal is pressed

Hello everyone.  I have had the brakes rebuilt as well as all lines and pipes aw well as the hand brake cables. Everything appears to work well. But I get the red handbrake and also brake light illuminate when the pedal is pressed.

Any suggestions would be welcome

All the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First thing to check, especially after a rebuild, is the brake fluid level. If the level is low but not critical, it could trip the switch when the pedal is pressed and fluid is displaced. Add some fluid and check that the level remains constant, if not you have a leak.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

"[Brake light] Only when the pedal is depressed" indicates a vacuum issue?

That said, messing with the handbrake mechanism might have disturbed the micro switch that illuminates the BRAKE light icon when the handle is pulled up. I've knocked that out of position when I adjusted brake cables. In my case, just prized up the carpet and bent the BRAKE switch indicator actuator enough for it to be in the proper state when the emergency brake is disengaged.

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

A '94 should have ABS and no vacuum booster, but there is indeed a link to the warning light module from the booster, to give a warning if hydraulic pressure is low.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.