Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TPMS sensor replacement. - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

TPMS sensor replacement.

One of the TPMS sensors on my 2017 Evora 400 has stopped working, presumably because the battery has run out, so will need replacing to pass the next MoT test (unless anyone knows how to disable the TPMS system, I could live without it!). I image that the other three will soon follow.

My understanding is that Lotus recommend replacing both the TPMS sensor and valve stem and, for genuine Lotus parts, that would be over £108 per wheel. Is it necessary to replace both parts, or can you get away with just changing the sensor?

Alternatively, has anyone got experience of using valves and sensors from other manufacturers, that are available at a much lower price? For example -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202856406304?epid=18042112323&hash=item2f3b2f1d20:g:zAcAAOSwpJJd6msR&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4FLMZgcepwtqTi4TFjTlSwaBRzx9nTjZZqjGVWnzrzlv06nLen3OrhR7pX6s7fCeo0iMoX%2B0Jp3DdAVs7la5PGJwMif4diyzoxis75aBJBJQk5wckIGchuGos8OspUbtgQrf4mY%2BsptZ2oJul%2Bgl8hg4bbdCEf58BXvsRJICilAu7qk8zoPqLAACE3884Qv%2BoaGXn%2FS4m6US87Mt223ygBOJ2RXMcOeVV2H08XQZ79DZAgwKOTPdtpI5ssQvvRNbTVpcU2f9HxIyReeRXtIGTbmYD93FOVfnKe1l7z2JPjNk|tkp%3ABk9SR-6bvfOrYw

I don't want any problems with the sensors not being compatible or needing special tools to reprogram the sensors.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evora 4xx use different sensors than the earlier cars, the receiver is different and in a different location. When I got a new set of rims I got just the transmitter parts from B&C but not the stems as my tyre place had universal stems that fitted.

the eBay ad is plain wrong.

I also believe that the  Autel programmable sensor can now be programmed for the later Evora's, as my programming tool seems to have been upgraded to enable this. I have now been able to read the sensor ids, and to program one for my 430, but it has not been fitted, and I have in fact re-programmed it for the RR.

There are a a number of topics on TPMS on lotus talk.

Also once one stops working, one wonders if the other are of the same age.

2 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

Evora 4xx use different sensors than the earlier cars, the receiver is different and in a different location.

Doh, I should have looked in the parts manual first! Thanks. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I have used these for the wife's RR, and did program one for the 430 as I said.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165351551643 

come with new stem as well, and have had play with changing the internal battery when 3 failed on her car on the same day!!! 

Thanks all. 

My sensors will all be all of the same age so the other 3 will probably die between my upcoming MoT and the next one. I will probably be needing new tyres by then so will replace any remaining 2017 vintage TPMS sensors when I next get the tyres done.

So, if I buy four of those Autel TPMS MX-sensors, exactly what tool do I need to buy and do to make them work with my Evora 400?

3 hours ago, RichardC said:

...(unless anyone knows how to disable the TPMS system, I could live without it!)...

This can only be done via the Lotus Techcentre (or whatever the software is called these days). So, it's a trip to the Dealer/Service Centre, unfortunately.

Some years ago I bought a TS501 eg https://www.autelstore.co.uk/wholesale/autel-maxitpms-ts501-tpms-diagnostic-and-service-tool.html      probably off eBay.

Got it so I could  duplicate the sensors on the wife's evoque, so the car thought the sensors had the same id, so car would not know about the changes. Have programmed the set of 18" rims 2/3 times and a set of 20" rims twice. So could move the rims on to the new cars as they arrived. It is possible to enable the tool to program sensors when tyres inflated and fitted.

I said that I had used the tool to program one, but it was never fitted to prove it works. The Evora 4xx self learn new sensor ids, as I found out when I fitted the spare set with cup2 tyres (ie the ones I got the B&C transmitters for) while the main set were being re-furbed.

There may be someone near to you who has this tool - or a similar one?

If you lived down here in Devon, I could have a go programming one and see if it works.  

I spoke to my tyre place and they do not program sensors when fitting new tyres/sensors, relying on the owner/dealer/garage to sort out. Some garages do not know much about these things, my local guy had not realised that each one contains a small battery! The tyre place charged me about £10 per rim to switch the sensors, re-balance, and I got the old ones back.

As my wheels need refurbishing, one of the TPMS sensors is dead, and all the tyres will need replacing in the next 12 months, I have bought a second hand set of Evora 400 wheels with new tyres and supposedly working TPMS sensors, to get me through the MoT test next month. I am assuming that the Evora will just automatically learn the new set of sensors when I fit the new wheels and go for a drive? Or do I need to visit a Lotus dealer to get the TPMS system reset?

So, what I need to do when I eventually have to replace the eight TPMS sensors on my two sets of wheels with new Autel TPMS-MX sensors, is to “clone” the existing Lotus sensors using an Autel tool? I’m still not understanding how that works. Can the tool read the code from dead sensors, or do all the sensors have the same code and you just program them all the same?

We never had all these problems when you used to just kick the tyres to see if they were soft...

i would haver thought this would be very very unlikely to do anything for TPMS especially on the 4xx cars. Can't see how it would program a new sensor. The blurb in the ad says it does a TPMS reset, I think that this may be for cars where auto relearn etc is not active, and the tool sends a reset, in a similar way to some cars need SRS turned off, whereas some do a reset and test for SRS at each start up. (Have played with SRS quite a lot on some MG/Rover cars.).

Picture 5 of 11

For the earlier cars eg LE and S,  then they used some standard sensors that are readily available.

There are a number of topics on TPMS on lotus talk, eg

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-s-tpms.482216/

Relearn procedure: Drive

• If replacement sensors have been fitted, vehicle will need to be stationary for minimum of 15 minutes
  • If required, place the vehicle into the relearn mode using the appropriate dashboard controls
  • Drive above 32 kmh (20mph) until the new sensor IDs are learned by the vehicle
  • This may take up to 20 minutes depending on the model

my Autel tool will program a huge range of cars, so it included the earlier Evora when I first bought it, and now it's been updated will probably do the same for 4xx cars