Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Has anyone actually weighed their Exige? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Has anyone actually weighed their Exige?

Today I've weighed my Exige Sport 410 at some local recycling center with their truck scale.

Truck scales are supposed to be accurate by 0.2% (that's what google tells me). There was a label on the scale indicating "5 km/h", which I think means you should not exceed 5km/h when driving onto the scale, in order to keep the reading accurate. I'm quite sure i was within that limit. I've weighed the car twice, once with a nearly empty fuel tank, then filled her up and gave it another try. 

• First try with a nearly empty tank: 1150kg (1220kg with me in the car, i'm roughly 70kg, so that part is accurate).
  • Second try after filling up the tank with 39 litres of fuel: 1180kg (1250kg with me in the car)... so not accurate? It should have been 1190kg after adding 39 litres of fuel?

How light can the Exige 410 be? Google tells me without any fluids in the car, the lowest possible weight is 1054kg, but that's with all the lightweight options... with all the fluids + a full gas tank added, they talk about 1108kg? That's still a 72kg difference to mine!

My Exige has: 

• The touring pack (Sound deadening + Carpets)
  • Standard seats (non-carbon)
  • Standard battery (no lightweight LiPo option)
  • Harness strut + 4-point harness
  • Standard exhaust (non-titanium)
  • Aerie Performance carbon sideskirts
  • Quaife Differential
  • Radio
  • AC
  • Cruise Control 

Do you think all these options add up to 72kg? My Exige with a full tank and me in it, is 1250kg... wow! 😅

Edited by lil_greenie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine was 1142kg with probably under a quarter of a tank of fuel and some towels in the back. Probably about 1140kg without. Carbon seats (as you know), LiPo battery, factory carbon skirts and aero blades, standard exhaust. So factor in some error (also, that 0.2% might be at far higher weights than a car) and it's all probably about right. With no AC, titanium exhaust, no carbon skirts and aero blades, and no carpets or sound deadening (both of which are very light anyway), 1108kg is probably about right.

Cruise control module is a heavy thing, about 20kg, mounted next to the blinker fluid reservoir ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lil_greenie said:

quote...

• First try with a nearly empty tank: 1150kg (1220kg with me in the car, i'm roughly 70kg, so that part is accurate).
  • Second try after filling up the tank with 39 litres of fuel: 1180kg (1250kg with me in the car)... so not accurate? It should have been 1190kg after adding 39 litres of fuel?

A litre of petrol weighs a little over 7kgs.

Edited by DanR
  • Haha 1

DanR

55 minutes ago, jmcvaughn said:

Mine was 1142kg with probably under a quarter of a tank of fuel and some towels in the back. Probably about 1140kg without. Carbon seats (as you know), LiPo battery, factory carbon skirts and aero blades, standard exhaust. So factor in some error (also, that 0.2% might be at far higher weights than a car) and it's all probably about right. With no AC, titanium exhaust, no carbon skirts and aero blades, and no carpets or sound deadening (both of which are very light anyway), 1108kg is probably about right.

Cruise control module is a heavy thing, about 20kg, mounted next to the blinker fluid reservoir ;)

Sounds about right then! 

Time to lose 10kg myself, then throw out the passenger seat (gf gets sick in the car anyway as soon as I drive it spirited), delete the 4-point harness and bar, never listen to music in there anyway, so can live without the stereo... can't live without the AC anymore... getting old. LiPo battery is so expensive, but that would be the easiest 10-15kg to lose... hmmm... damn blinker fluid! 😄

46 minutes ago, DanR said:

A litre of petrol weighs a little over 7kgs.

I think you mean 700g?

I've blindly assumed 1 litre of petrol = 1kg, but it's actually 720-775g. So 39 litres is pretty much 30kg, and it looks like the scale was accurate in that case. 

• Like 2

I weighed my 430Cup ( couldn’t upload the pic of the weighbridge scale readout ) and was 1100kg, with 3/4’s full fuel tank. 

It has all the usual luxuries on so not inconceivable it could hit the manufacturers claim of 1,093

• Like 1

This link is to a French article that weighed a 410 Sport as 1139kg full of fuel.

Lotus Exige 410 Sport Coupé Review: The Driver Who Dreamed of Being a Road Driver - AUTOMOTIV PRESS

Interestingly, the author seems to have put in a lot of research and includes a table (in French) of the weight-saving of each item of the 410 Sport spec:

Lotus-Exige-410-P_22.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had my V6 cup weighed the other day on digital scales which are meant to be accurate (used for corner weighting) and it came up 1117 Kg with 3/4 of a tank.

My car has air con but as we know, the v6 cup is stripped out from anything luxury i.e. trim/carpet/insulation/airbags etc.

However, I got forged wheels (-10Kg), Li battery (-13Kg), soft top (-5kg roughly, never weighed it) and the OEM titanium exhaust (-10Kg) so about 38Kg less than it's original specification.

My Cup-R weights in around 2200#s. Remember that the Cup-R has just about everything stripped out of it. Also, no AC on this car.

Later,
Eldon