Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Head Gasket and Studs - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Head Gasket and Studs

Engine building is now just underway and I've some choices to make in the critical realm of block-head interface. I have in hand a new head gasket of the early, metal faced type and will require a set of new studs. The block - liner nip appears near zero on first examination. Advice?

Further points of note, courtesy Garry Kemp, SJ Lotus, and accomplished Esprit guru Tim Engel:

Kemp HPE offer "high strength" studs, ". . better than early non-dimpled . . ", specs torque at 75 lb-ft;

SJ offer studs without details, and also the ARP manufactured set spec'd at 100 lb-ft;

Tim E holds forth at length in regard to gasket, studs and liner nip, covering the 907 history with its early tribulations in the process. 

• Like 1

I've used Gary Kemp's studs with ARP nuts & washers and an original Cooper's steel gasket.  I used the torque settings rather than the torque/angle method.  I had 0.0035" - 0.004" nip on all liners.  Sounds like you may need the block skimming.

Pete

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, drdoom said:

Engine building is now just underway and I've some choices to make in the critical realm of block-head interface. I have in hand a new head gasket of the early, metal faced type and will require a set of new studs. The block - liner nip appears near zero on first examination. Advice?

Given the potential for expenditure, I’d suggest measuring again until you’re sure.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

Thanks, Ian, my remark on nip was simply off the cuff. No way I proceed until the nip is precisely determined.

Fundamentally, I'm wary of chasing rabbits in this regard. There was the Lotus spec upgrade for later block/liner assemblies but using the earlier setup I'm dubious of need for the composite fibre head gasket. Properly prepared and fitted it seems the original kit can be counted on to deliver reliable service. I gather the Goetze type demands significantly higher torque in order to function correctly.

• Like 1

As long as its within spec, you would be fine with a genuine Goetze or original Coopers for that matter - Although it must have been sitting around unused/oxidising for +25 years?    Most failures I've noticed over the years seem to stem from pattern type Goetze gaskets.   

My early Coopers has been tucked up in a most immaculate environment for many years, still appears perfect to the naked eye.

Attached is the synopsis offered by Tim Engel back in 2015 in response to head gasket grief reported by an Esprit owner in the UK. More info than I've seen elsewhere, FWIW.

Tim_E_On_Head_Gasket.txt