Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ignition barrel adapter to stater switch - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ignition barrel adapter to stater switch

Go to solution Solved by Sparky,

Hello everyone 

looking for some advice! My ignition switch broke which is easy to replace I know however the little adaptor that plugs into the starter from the end of the barrel completely disintegrated. I am now trying to get a square peg to fit in a round hole so to speak and frankly not having any luck.

any help / advice welcome

thanks Paul

Sorry no. The little adapter broke in to three pieces and like a fool I binned it

its best described as a hollow metal sleeve one end is shaped (square ) to fit in to the starter switch the other end shaped like a D (hollowed) that fits on the end of the ignition barrel  I would say it’s about 1.5 - 2cm in height

thanks

Paul

• Gold FFM

What does the sleeve do Paul? Is it stopping you from starting/driving the car?

have you a photo of where it used to reside?

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

The image shows the D coming from the barrel the square image 2 is the starter switch the adaptor fits between the two which enables the barrel D to turn the starter from the key if that makes sense??

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

• Gold FFM

Maybe my memory, but I don't recall ever seeing an adapter and I'm not convinced that switch is original!

This may provide a clue...

https://eltaeurope.com/new-pride-classic-car-parts-from-elta/

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hello mate,you ok?  I think it is, speaking with the likes of SJ etc if that small adapter is lost or broken you have had it

all the components on the ignition etc are from the factory 

SJ sell the switches but no one has this little adapter 

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Doulou said:

Hello mate,you ok?

Long story!

Weird - I have no memory of the adapter.  Hey ho.  In that case, time to make one!  Pattern and 3D print?

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

time to make one!  Pattern and 3D print?

Or fabricated from a bit of brass bar?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Grahame - PM incoming.

• Gold FFM

Cheers Gary

I’ll get on it tomorrow and dig mine out.

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

Hi Paul @Doulou

I’m going to dig out my switch tomorrow to get to the offending item.

Is it just those 3 ‘indents’ in the barrel (your first picture) that hold the switch in place?

cheers 

grahame.

Hi Grahame

there is a grub screw on the rear of the column housing behind where the starter switch sits

i had to use a very small flat blade screwdriver to remove it the type that you adjust spectacles with. You can feel it if you put hand behind

thank you so much 

Bye the way once you remove the switch the adapter with be nestled in the starter switch you will see it sitting just proud 

Hi Grahame,

indeed the offending item will be tricky to replicate 

I cannot thank you enough for having a go

best of luck

• Gold FFM

Hi Paul

I’m not having much luck at the moment sourcing 7.6mm o.d brass tube from any of my normal suppliers. I haven’t given up yet. I can get hold of the 4.8mm I.d tube to form the ‘D’ section. If I can’t get hold of any 7.6mm tube I will probably go for 8mm round bar and turn it down at work and drill to suit the inner tube.

unfortunately this is all going to take time. I did do a quick internet search for a ignition barrel to ignition switch adapter but that just drew up a blank.

I don’t know if ‘Lotus bits’ may be able to help?, it’d certainly be quicker than I can do it.

I understand and don’t worry 

I have tried most places and drawn a blank too

I am in no rush can still use the car starting it with a screwdriver 

best regards

Paul

• Gold FFM

Quick update, I’ve ordered the brass rod and tube. Hopefully they will arrive this week.

being that you can still start the car with a screwdriver it has taken the pressure off a bit, I thought your car was unable to be driven.

There may well be a little trial and error involved but, I’m still keen to get a replacement to you as soon as possible.

cheers

grahame.

I appreciate all your help Grahame. Yes I have a new starter switch so just wired it in and can start the car using a screwdriver to turn the starter switch

thanks again👍

How about making the internal D shape from a piece of rod with a filed flat which is inserted into the tube and soldered into place? 

Esprit Freak

• Gold FFM

Unfortunately the ‘D’ needs to be a female. The male ‘D’ is on the end of the ignition barrel. But I will be using a piece of rod with a flat filed into it to form the female ‘D’.

In Paul’s first photo you can just make out the ‘D’ shaped spindle protruding out of the ignition barrel.

That's what I also uderstood. Maybe I have to clarify it a bit. I got the idea when I saw the "7.60 mm" picture. If you make a moon shape / D shape out of a piece of round stock and put that in a "tube" you have the female D.  

Esprit Freak