Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Head Unit Upgrade - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Head Unit Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by fflyingdog,

Hi,

my 2010 NA still has the original Lotus head unit in it and I think its on its way out. Sometimes refuses to turn on and I no longer have a working rear view camera. Figured I'd swap it for something newer, ideally with wireless Apple Car Play too. Any suggestions on something that will be an easy replacement?

Had a search on here and I think the Alpine ILX-W690D seems to be a common upgrade choice, is that still the one to go for?

How easy is it to change? Easy to DIY or let the dealer do it at the next service type job?

Thanks!
Hamza

I've just fitted the ilx w690 along with the head unit amp kta 450 and the sound quality is incredible. However if you are looking for wireless apple car play I think this unit only supports wired apple car play and android auto. I removed the full dash for retrim along with removing the various wires from the original unit, along with fitting a DAB aerial and usb connections to the glovebox. Fitment if the stereo was simple, I also ran a wire from the battery through the rear fire wall into the driver's side rear quarter etc. 

IMG_20240702_192329035_HDR.jpg

Also prior to this I fitted focal speakers and tweeters in the dash along with sound proofing, so it's had quite a bit done to the ice. 

• Like 1

You can get a USB dongle that converts wired Carplay and Android to wireless. Quite cheap iirc (C. £50-70) and a few to choose from.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I've just removed the W505 and fitted a ILX- W690D , I fitted an after market camera as mine didn't have one as standard . The dash trim is a bit of a b@gger to remove but be brave and give it a good pull starting from nearest steering ,you wont break it although your heads telling you otherwise ,2 plugs one for hazard light and other for push buttons ,there is a reasonable amount of cable so you wont break anything.  4  self tapping screws holding headunit brackets onto the dash, simply pull radio out ....actually its a pain because the screws on radio catch the side and you have to wiggle it (i used a couple of old credit cards to slide it over ). 

Theres a few plugs to disconnect ,firstly the Lotus to Alpine pig tail (black plug in back of unit) and then camera and phono leads and the Green lotus reverse switching wire wire for camera.GPS antenna wire ,Ipod usb and 3.5 jack ,microphone etc..

The 690 will fit the black plug but you'll have to pin the handbrake and the reverse switching wire . It really is a piece of cake, take your time and use a multimeter , I fitted a DAB screen antenna rather than a splitter (You have to power the antenna via the menu on the 690).ran the mic cable up the drivers A pillar ,again easy to do.

I use Android Auto , i bought a wireless dongle which plugs into the USB lead ,works seamlessly ,easy to hook up the phonos and subwoofer ,if you need a hand give me a shout happy to help .

Cheers

Nick

ILX690D.jpg

Carnage.jpg

Map.jpg

DAB.jpg

Dongle.jpg

Edited by fflyingdog
Pics
  • Like 2

Simplest things first.

Just another small tip, I added some small washer behind the frame mounting screws to bring the head unit forward by a few mm to make it sit flush with the surround. It was a bit fiddly but worth it. 

Edited by sellman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sellman said:

Just another small tip, I added some small washer behind the frame mounting screws to bring the head unit forward by a few mm to make it sit flush with the surround. It was a bit fiddly but worth it. 

That's a great idea never thought of that ! 

Actually that does give me an idea as i could do with the unit slightly angled towards me (drivers side)

Edited by Bravo73
Removed double quote
  • Like 1

Simplest things first.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll order the Alpine ILX-W690D then.

Car has to go in for a service at Silverstone and I was hoping they might just fit it for me. Not sure if staff have changed there (I didn't get to speak to either Matt or Aimee) but they don't seem to have quite the same can do attiitude and were only willing to refit an OEM part.

Guess I'll have to do it myself once I get the car back then!

I fitted an alpine ILX-705D  which does wireless carplay.

It's fantastic and i thought worth the premium over the 690.

I also fitted the alpine multi view rear camera and added a front camera which is perfect when parking up to walls and curbs.

• Like 1

Not meaning this to be a thread hijack, but I have an Alpine INE-w990BT fitted to my Evora 400, and it’s a bit vintage for my liking despite being fully functional (in its day).

What is the least painful way to get Android Auto in the car, ideally with DAB? Clearly I’d rather not spend a fortune, but I’d like to know what people have tried.

I have no need for USB music, or CDs. In reality, telephone, backup camera and Google Maps / Waze is all I’m after. 

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

On 25/07/2024 at 00:42, fflyingdog said:

Where did you route the front camera ? and more importantly how ? 

i took the cable from the headunit down to the passenger side footwell, behind the fusebox there is a grommet which is where the steering column would be in a LHD car, we took the cable through the grommet, and fed it to the front of the car, only had to take the front undertray off, 

we used a thin rod with the cable taped to it, to feed it into the front grill aperture from the LH side, and fixed the camera to the underside of the grill mouth, the camera is basically hidden from view, stays clean better than the rear one, and just catches the top of the plate in the picture, so perfect for judging parking position

this picture shows the 2 holes in the chassis for RHD and LHD steering columns, in either case, you can use the redundant grommet to feed the cable. 

this picture is the Emira i think, but it's exactly the same case with the Evora.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, DrRick said:

Not meaning this to be a thread hijack, but I have an Alpine INE-w990BT fitted to my Evora 400, and it’s a bit vintage for my liking despite being fully functional (in its day).

What is the least painful way to get Android Auto in the car, ideally with DAB? Clearly I’d rather not spend a fortune, but I’d like to know what people have tried.

I have no need for USB music, or CDs. In reality, telephone, backup camera and Google Maps / Waze is all I’m after. 

Hi mate,

I fitted a ILX W690D,  fully android auto or car play , I fitted a wireless dingle which is seamless, the OE should also plug straight in yo unit , you may have to add the reverse trigger wire into the Alpine connector buts its pretty straight forward if you can find an unused pin and repurpose it (which I did),  also handbrake wire although there are work arounds on this. Hardest part was probably removing dash trim , be brave and give it a good tug lol.i fitted a DAV antenna to windscreen ,easy to do , remove glove box and trim and its really obvious to see.

Simplest things first.

A couple of images of the 690 fitted for anyone who's interested. I've added a wireless Android auto adapter too, which as above is seamless.

IMG_20240727_121258864_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240727_121450545.jpg

Edited by sellman

I'm kind of hoping that the trim / different dash layout for the 400 means I'm not going to have the same traumas as those with an S1.

And I did go through that exercise myself.

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

On 20/07/2024 at 13:25, grog said:

I fitted an alpine ILX-705D  which does wireless carplay.

It's fantastic and i thought worth the premium over the 690.

I also fitted the alpine multi view rear camera and added a front camera which is perfect when parking up to walls and curbs.

Where did you get the multi view rear camera and how does the multi view work?  I’ve recently bought an ILX-705D too, and simply bought an adapter lead to connect to the yellow rear cable RCA plug.   Presume with a multi view camera you needed to fit a new cable all the way to the rear cam ?

Which front camera did you go for?   I might have a go at that, seems the cable routing is straightforward.

And finally, did you manage to get the speed sensitive volume working - there’s a speed pulse wire on the 705, I connected mine to the right cable in the car but it doesn’t work (I have the GPS antenna connected too).

Mine has a alpine-ilx-702 and I find the separate buttons for up/down volume a pain, much prefer the old style rotary control - that you can feel for without looking and know what you are adjusting.

Has anyone got volume control added to their steering wheel?

15 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

Where did you get the multi view rear camera and how does the multi view work?  I’ve recently bought an ILX-705D too, and simply bought an adapter lead to connect to the yellow rear cable RCA plug.   Presume with a multi view camera you needed to fit a new cable all the way to the rear cam ?

Which front camera did you go for?   I might have a go at that, seems the cable routing is straightforward.

And finally, did you manage to get the speed sensitive volume working - there’s a speed pulse wire on the 705, I connected mine to the right cable in the car but it doesn’t work (I have the GPS antenna connected too).

I bought the alpine front and rear cameras, these are 'direct' and don't need the little box by the sub.

Either run the supplied cable from rear to headuit. Or what I did was remove the box by the sub, and extend the cable to the headunit using the supplied cable with the camera.

This saves getting the cable through the sealing from engine compartment to interior..

Here is my install thread

https://forums.thelotusforums.com/topic/118538-carplay-android-auto-headunit-frontrear-camera-upgrade-journey/

Edited by grog
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @grog, I saw you mentioned in your thread the w505 unit brackets don’t work with the 705D, is that right? Is that because of the single din chassis? Don’t suppose you have pics of how you fixed it?

I didn't have 505 brackets, someone had already swapped this out for a cheapo android HU that was terrible. 

I modified the cheap brackets that came with the android unit.

I guess the w505 brackets might work, if not some generic brackets are available with many mounting holes 

• Thanks 1