Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S3 James Bond Project car - part 4 - the continued continuation - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S3 James Bond Project car - part 4 - the continued continuation

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Henry will check when I have time

Chassis 975. It has a dry sump engine cover and a Turbo engine surround. An S1 style clutch slave. Lots of differences.

Mirrors will be an issue as the intermediate loom from the mirror to the switch is missing, so will have to make one from the wiring diagram supplied by Andy Warne, thanks Andy.

IMG_8046.jpeg.71cba0195f2da616653c527d9cd7d645.jpegBeen here before! IMG_8045.jpeg.5ee40647c0e181553ce3faa6ad92a314.jpegThis is the end of the electric mirror, there is nothing to connect to! Have ordered all of the colour coded wires and a four pin connector to make a new loom. 

Have completed the first top of engine degrease. Will take some pics when done.This is going to take a long time to clean! Maybe a bag of rags and some brake cleaner will be the best method after using hyper clean degreaser. 

• Like 2

2nd degrease….IMG_8049.jpeg.7279f1278f0aa97853deaa33b3cb5064.jpegunderside degreased as well. Discovered the upper link inner bush on the nearside has had it! I have aluminium cleaner coming so will give that a go. Unfortunately the gear knob fell off whilst I was selecting reverse! Another little job. Driver door now working perfectly with one 3.5 mm shim on the door catch. Cooling fans also not working correctly. Will start to investigate.

There is something I haven’t seen before the air filter is being fed by an unsecured secondary filter that is big and round situated next tonthe Vacuum reservoir - which is disconnected! 

57 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

2nd degrease….IMG_8049.jpeg.7279f1278f0aa97853deaa33b3cb5064.jpegunderside degreased as well. Discovered the upper link inner bush on the nearside has had it! I have aluminium cleaner coming so will give that a go. Unfortunately the gear knob fell off whilst I was selecting reverse! Another little job. Driver door now working perfectly with one 3.5 mm shim on the door catch. Cooling fans also not working correctly. Will start to investigate.

There is something I haven’t seen before the air filter is being fed by an unsecured secondary filter that is big and round situated next tonthe Vacuum reservoir - which is disconnected! 

That's made good difference . 

12 hours ago, Djs44 said:

That's made good difference . 

Thanks. Its clean which is half the battle, especially underneath. Gear knob came off when I selected reverse! Very easy to fix all these issues as I have done them all before. Door took me hardly anytime. Before I have spent months just working on the one problem. No substitute for experience. Cooling fans don’t come on. I know the first thing to do is short the Otter switch wires, takes two minute. If the fans come on put the sender in boiling water and confirm the temperature gauge is correctly calibrated. If it isn’t calibrate it for 90 degrees using the corked hole in the rear. If they still don’t come on check the pipe is hot as the thermostat may be faulty. If it is the Otter switch needs testing. Simple and doesn't take long. But I must have spent 12 months on my Turbo working this out and going round in circles! Hopefully anyone reading this will save hours of their time by learning from my mistakes! 

Anyone seen this type of air filter before? Its feeding the main Air filter and sitting Unsecured? Strange. Noticed the Vacuum reservoir is disconnected, so the airflow flaps at the front won’t work. Both number plate lenses cracked as the wrong screws have been used which cracked the lenses. News ones £7 per pair on ebay. Stainless screws 3 mm x 35 mm needed. Will have to drill new holes or fill in existing.

IMG_8053.jpeg.5b48ade7d102793ff41d61985536ea63.jpegIMG_8051.jpeg.75b0600a86aa51184d25e0323acc7685.jpeg

Yes, that's A085E4098J "Intake Silencer" fitted to both std and HC  engines on the S3. Should also be a strap to hold it in place

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Thanks Chaps. 

11 hours ago, Choppa said:

Yes, that's A085E4098J "Intake Silencer" fitted to both std and HC  engines on the S3. Should also be a strap to hold it in place

Thanks All. Colin have you got any pics of this in situ please, especially the strap? On my car is was just loose. Thanks.

Chap on facebook posted a 3D printer file for the wing mirror surround. A guy I know is trying to print it for me. This is 36 per cent of the print…IMG_9057.png.669cb298fd00454fe847b551806cb7ae.png

• Like 2

Found this in the manual. Tells me nothing about how the silencer is installed. Any pictures of an S3 airbox setup in situ much appreciated
IMG_9060.png.e773b3b518ca0ad2929a135de373569c.png

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2024 at 03:51, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Chaps. 

Thanks All. Colin have you got any pics of this in situ please, especially the strap? On my car is was just loose. Thanks.

Not unless I dismantle the shelf on that side to try and take a photo, and as I've got new tanks in there anyway, and  the re-fitting of the stuff was determined by Sparky and I when it all went back in, a photo wouldn't help you much. The S3 parts manual has a good exploded diagram which might help you, and maybe the same diagram is on the deroure.com site.

The silencer sits in a rectangular foam box/tray like you can see in the ebay ad that Henry posted, and the strap goes over the top of the silencer and the foam block and screws in at each end to the plywood cover that sits over the fuel tank. I'd say that the strap would be in a slightly different position on any S3 you looked at.

PS just tried to attach a scan of that page in the parts manual and I don't seen to be able to post photos anymore as I currently just have basic membership on here

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

3 hours ago, Choppa said:

Not unless I dismantle the shelf on that side to try and take a photo, and as I've got new tanks in there anyway, and  the re-fitting of the stuff was determined by Sparky and I when it all went back in, a photo wouldn't help you much. The S3 parts manual has a good exploded diagram which might help you, and maybe the same diagram is on the deroure.com site.

The silencer sits in a rectangular foam box/tray like you can see in the ebay ad that Henry posted, and the strap goes over the top of the silencer and the foam block and screws in at each end to the plywood cover that sits over the fuel tank. I'd say that the strap would be in a slightly different position on any S3 you looked at.

PS just tried to attach a scan of that page in the parts manual and I don't seen to be able to post photos anymore as I currently just have basic membership on here

Thanks Colin, useful info I should be able to refix it from that.

Very poor shut lines luckily this is a very easy fix! AIMG_9068.jpeg.936100fe92332513025b75153c1ca39e.jpegIMG_9066.jpeg.0dcea3cb91e77361eca8595c83d782f3.jpegIMG_9065.jpeg.33e6c12a79842b478d9a69d77b77b078.jpeg

Mirrors

Made a new loom. Wire colour coding nothing like the manual, so just made it up. Very easy circuit, but had me confused. There seems to be one extra wire on everything. I peeled back the tape and found the ends were all cut off! In the other door it was no different all the ends cut and taped, why? Anyhow its working perfectly now.IMG_9071.jpeg.e4543815bec3476b89557ced452f47e9.jpegIMG_9069.jpeg.beb0a1d349522ae6960d90731feac7e3.jpeg

This only leaves the door edge lights to fix. No power at all. Should not be too difficult. Electrics is my thing! 

Back to work today on this then! Need to rewire the nearside mirror and test, then door red lights. No power at all to them. I am hoping the wires were never reconnected to the door switches. There are other circuits missing that I will have to restore seatbelts, heated rear screen. The its fan repair and testing.

2 hours ago, JonSE said:

Looking good Fabian!

On painting the “LOTUS” badge, sure I read (maybe on here?) it’s actually light grey they used? Don’t quote me!

Thanks Jon. I will be painting it white like the Bond Ski car.

IMG_8065.jpeg

Mirror rewired and tested. Only half the trim remains. Needs a good clean and respray.

Door end lights have no power. The lilac wires are dead and the door switches are working. The rear screen has never worked. The wires are missing for it. Will have to check the fuse box wiring.

• Like 1

This wiring job is getting bigger and bigger. No power to the lighters or door warning lights. Then reading the wiring diagram I remembered there are two inline fuses 10 amp loose under the dash for the cigarette lighters and warning lights. I found two ends of the fuses holders and nothing to connect them too! There should be two fuse holders in there with brown ends. I will have to dig deep inside the dash and if they aren’t there make some. I also found a vacuum control wire cut off! I think this is going to take longer than I first thought! I will end up reworking half the loom, its a mess!