Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 25 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

• 3 weeks later...

Have moved the Hants relevant discussion to where it belongs. We don't to be giving the Berks any ideas! ;)

But yes Deadpool looks hilarious. I thought this was brilliant. Best ball check ad ever.

"Next time your shopping for one in the sexy salad section, remember to tweak the tomatoes before you go cucumber crazy."

Not only is it very funny but I really think it will gets an important message across. This is how it should be done.

:clap:

I fulfilled my patriotic duty and saw Dad`s Army . The Tarantino version. (Just kiddin`).

It raised a smile throughout and a slight lump in the throat at the thought of the real volunteers and their fictional comedy equivalents who of course have nearly all disappeared....  Better than the first Dad`s Army film,  plot and just being a proper film-wise,  but the performances weren`t a patch on the TV series . Looking out for Frank Williams and Ian Lavender and they duly appeared.

Michael Gambon as Godfrey came the closest to constantly entertaining.  A cert for BBC Xmas Day 2017 !  

• 2 weeks later...

One word - KES

(ok, that's 3!)

As for no buddy movies - Sorry but 'Stand by me' is brilliant

and the 'Fisher King' is Terry Gilliam genius.

Basalte, agree on the Dad's Army front - kind of what I expected although Godfrey/Gambon was suberb

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

You lot might have good taste in cars but poor taste in movies! :P

The Revenant was ludicrously self-indulgent drivel, a shameless exercise in self-back patting and pretending to be brilliant which the industry (shamefully) gobbled up.

Dad's Army was a poor joke. I haven't really seen the series but I hope it isn't anything like this. Without the cast they got, this film would never have even made it direct-to-cinema. 100 minutes of utter dross.

However, Deadpool was great fun despite being curbed by a (relatively) small budget, and Grimsby was also disgustingly ludicrous, brilliant fun, with a stupendously good performance by Mark Strong. How he kept a straight face for half of it I do not know.

From Dusk Till Dawn though... sublime ;) Not directed by Tarantino though - only penned and co-starring. It was directed by his buddy Robert Rodriguez (Desperado)

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• 2 months later...

Can't wait for this! Second trailer of the 2 on the link is the best one.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 2 months later...

So, in honour of my post above:

Warcraft: As a World of Warcraft player 9/10. My wife, as a non Warcraft player 7.5/10. Good action fantasy that doesn't pull it's punches in both killing off main characters or in the action!

The Revenant: Why are me and my Mrs the only 2 in the world who seem to think this was a shit movie? It started well with a cracking battle but from then on I can only describe it as "Think of the worst thing that can happen" and it does. All the way through the movie. Just say to yourself "Hmmm whats the worst thing that could happen to him here?" totally predicatable and extremely negative writing. Just by the law of averages, one thing would have gone right. So he spends all the movie struggling to move due to his injuries and then makes a miraculous recovery in just a day! Oh come on. From incompetant indians who can't track worth shit enough to realise their own allies have the captured person they are hunting to him not playing dead when the bear walks away, encouraging another attack it just beggars belief. I would love to give it 0/10 but I will give it a 3/10 purely for the gorgeous cinematography!

London has fallen: What can I say. gerard Butler, brains out away we go, lets kill lots of people, explosions, battles, car chases. Awesomeness 8/10. leave the brain at home for a nice 10/10

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The Revenant was all about the cinematorgraphy IMO, as well as being a sort of love letter to Terrence Mallick. From that perspective I thought it succeeded - but if you were after a gripping tale I can see how it might have come up short. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

As I mentioned way back in the thread, the Revanant is a remake of 1971's "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris and John Huston.The original is more believable, albeit less visually exciting (it's supposed to be a real story)

It seems movies these days are like drugs (in the minds of their makers). The more you take the more they think you need to get off next time (so they think,. -always trying to top the other filmmakers special effects.)  I don't need an exhausting, never ending barrage of special effects.  Good cinematography is one thing, but let the audience's mind savor the subtleties and dissect it for themselves vs being beaten over the head with a club with the obvious. That said, I still don't take the time to read books as I also appreciate good quality visuals and too impatient to devote that much time, but my wife argues that books are always better.  ("The Shining" being an example she points to).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In what way? I thought it was very pretty and used gorgeous locations. As I said, it was the only thing that made the movie watchable for me.

• Gold FFM

The director and DoP spent a great deal of time telling everyone that they did everything "on location" and "with only natural lighting"....

Which they did... except they then stitched lots of shots together, and the project had the most intensive grade (the process of altering the colour of a film) in history. In many shots, the sky is completely replaced, in others they've gone to extreme lengths because the film was shot without lights.

The opening shots for example are 15-20 shots digitally stitched together to appear as one, which is very unnatural. So, basically, they're trying to pretend they did it all "for real" and then made up for it with a huge amount of post-production wizardry. That, to me, defeats the point of what they're doing.

If you want to see how it should be done, watch Braveheart or something. That film has virtually no post trickery I could detect. Just good photography and patience with the weather. Or basically any film pre-1990. Barry Lyndon, etc...

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Shot on Alexa 65.  I'm pretty sure a huge amount of post was a given, as any imperfections would be hugely visible.

Interestingly (or maybe not) if you want to see natural/ minimal light cinematography at it's technically finest, the scene in Oblivion in which Tom Cruise and Andrea Risborough are having dinner was lit with a single candle really stands out for me.

The plot is riseable, although I admit it's a guilty pleasure for me as a movie - but outside of the VFX shots, to me at least, it looks stunning.

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, DaveC72 said:

Shot on Alexa 65.  I'm pretty sure a huge amount of post was a given, as any imperfections would be hugely visible.

Only around 15% of the finished product actually wound up being ALEXA 65 footage.

Oblivion is a masterclass in cinematography. 

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

It's fine, I believe they wanted to make a big thing of it because they knew it'd be a big film and it was an early example of ALEXA 65 footage. It's mainly the big wide shots.

The last time I checked there were only about 30 ALEXA65s in the world, and they were £8,000 per day per body with no weekly discount. Even on Hollywood budgets it's tough to justify exclusively those.

And the small matter of the data rate being 12 minutes per half terabyte.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 2 weeks later...

"Before I go" Seann William Scott. My Mrs told me I was watching it whether I liked it or not because she wanted to see it and it was date night. Ho Hum I thought, might as well humour her. But she was spot on! The trailer doesn't do it justice. What a hilarious, emotional movie! I was laughing so hard at some points that I was crying. If it wasn't the Sister in Law with a tendancy to sleep masturbate, then it was the brother with a stiffy talking to his Officer with a Camel toe, both at eye level. 

The basis is that a guy has nothing to live for goes back to his home town to face his tormentor and the girl he couldn't ask out, one last time and settle old scores before he kills himself. Whilst it has a dark storyline, it proves to be a heart warming, hilarious movie covering love, weight, kids, sexuality and death. 9/10. Surprise of the year for me!!