Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 27 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of quick reviews:

Tarzan (the Legend of) 2016: Didn't hold out much hope for this as "yet another tarzan movie" really didn't appeal but after watching a clip I thought, "go for it". I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It is set 10 years after Tarzan returns to the UK and has him being tricked into going back to be set up to be captured by an old enemy. Needless to say they miss him but capture someone else and then it's a riproaring tail full of action and awesome special effects. Absolutely one of my fave movies of the year 8.5/10

Ghostbusters (2016) on the other hand I held out loads of hope for and was unpleasantly surprised. It started well but then turned into "Melissa McCarthy" shout in an irritating voice-Fest. The story starts well and totally loses it's way and it just seems to try and outdo the original for Special effects without any substance. A huge disappointment don't bother till it's on Freebie! 3/10

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I saw the Tarzan flic quite a while ago with my older son. We both enjoyed it, though I'd categorize it more as a "popcorn movie" than academy award material. A nice day's diversion and a worthwhile escape from mundane chores. Heck, I'd go see it again just to see Margot Robbie once more. What a fox! :)

Really looking forward to seeing "Arrival," just released a few days ago, to stellar reviews it appears. This weekend was completely sold out at my usual haunt.

Image result

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

I saw Arrival yesterday, it was much like all of Denis Villeneuve's films. Quite slow, but good tension building, nicely shot and composed and well put together.

I enjoyed it, not enough "thinking" sci-fi films these days..

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Damn. was looking forward to this SciFi film but sounds like no lightsabres, imperial gunships, crazed monster baddies for the good guy to put down and rousing US patriotic save the world Trumpet tunes as the GI rides in on an armoured unicorn to place the bomb on the mothership just in time to save the world whilst a soft rock love song plays whistfully in the background as the action slo-mo's down...

Damn. Darn it! ;)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Interesting vid on the cars created for Mad Max Fury Road.

Immense effort to realise a vision this grand. It's an incredible film to look at if you haven't already seen it. The vehicles are roaring, snorting mechanical works of art.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Interesting. So the only bits where you really want the 4K, ie all the Mars stuff, it's 2K. Yay!

It's not that there is anything wrong with 2K at all, just the term 4K gets thrown about so much now it's become basically pointless. I remember a similar thing happening with "HD". I remember seeing HD shampoo.

James Martin (JayEmm)

There has been some debate on whether or not ‘The Martian’ had a 2K or 4K DI. According to The Digital Bits (as confirmed by the studio): they re-edited the movie for home release using some parts of the 2K DCP and other parts from the original 5K camera files and everything was regraded and mastered at 4K.

and are you sure it wasn't iShampoo :lol: 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Haha, quite sure. The last time I paid attention to The Martian it was when the film had just come out - lot of people seeing it in the cinema "in 4K" (when there obviously was no 4K DCP).

There are a large number of films, as you'll see from that site, which are never ever, ever going to be 4K but still people claim they are. I'm never going to win that battle.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 1 month later...

Rogue one. 7/10 for non Star Wars fans, 9/10 for fans. Great explanation as to how the flaw in the Death Star came about and rip roaring specey war/buddy movie. 

Sausage Party 6/10 Gruesome and funny but not as funny as I thought it would be. 

Kubo. 10/10 absolutely excellent stop animation movie with an excellent, moving and intelligent storyline. The animation is just awesome and it is both funny and tear jerking. As you can see I can't recommend this movie enough for kids and adults alike. Watching it twice in a week already.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Fixed it for you...

5 hours ago, JayEmm said:

We disagree yet again Kimbers. Rogue One was 6/10 for me. Very, very flawed film in my opinion.

... this being a Film Appreciation thread, surely it's subjective?

I found Rouge one to very good, as a fan of Starwars found it to fit in well with the time lines and will not spoil it for people who have not seen it yet but blends into the first 1977 very well at the end, wish all films would do this.  

Also liked the way they did kept away from the classic starwars music, they have put their own touch to this film and yet still respected most of the old starwars themed stuff.   In fact after seeing this film i purchased the box set containing a New hope, Empire strikes back and Return of the jedi, and watched them back to back :blush: 

On 2016/11/17 at 23:38, The Pits said:

Interesting vid on the cars created for Mad Max Fury Road.

Immense effort to realise a vision this grand. It's an incredible film to look at if you haven't already seen it. The vehicles are roaring, snorting mechanical works of art.

Great video and cheers for posting,  only found out the other day that the bloke who plays the leader of the bad guys with that crazy mask on, Is also the same fellow that played the leader of the bad bike gang in the first mad max movie. :thumbup:  Must be an extremely rewarding job to be lucky enough to build machines like these for film sets for mad max, fast and furious etc. 

A

Agree with most of the comments on here re Rogue One - thoroughly enjoyed it and the way it tied into the original trilogy was superb.

I'm just so sad that Episodes 1, 2 and 3 (the second trilogy were so crap!). But never mind the story and quality seems to be back.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yes the other films i found to be awful,  i.e the ones with zhar zhar binks or what ever his name was,  the only good bit in those films is the part that you see skywalker burn and see him transform into vader, which was good as it explained why he was dressed/ended up looking like he does as Darth Vader.

Plenty of films sadly written off like this,  the same with the Aliens francise,   Alien 3 and Alien resurection both awful,  but hopefully Alien 5 has said it may cancel out those films and carry on from where Aliens left off.   :thumbup:   Looking forward to Promethius 2 this year also !

A

• Gold FFM

Alien: Covenant got delayed while Prometheus 2 is being made. A shame because I think people were asking for Alien more than Prometheus. The film which "definitely isn't an Alien prequels" and totally was.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Alien Covenant is promethius 2, The film that is coming out this year,  Alien 5 was put on hold until Alien Covenant aka promethius 2 comes out as Ridley Scott did not want his P2 spoiled by alien 5 storyline.   It has sort of knackered it up as Sigorney weaver has signed for 2 more Avatar movies which she has to do first before Alien 5 ,   Bit of a bummer as i would of loved to see Alien 5 first, also means the films a long way off :(

A

• Gold FFM

Sorry, you're right, Alien 5 is what I meant. Haven't been paying much attention to the titles.

I think it's greedy of Ridley personally, everyone was very excited at the idea of a Blomkamp Alien movie.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yes your correct about Ridley been greedy,  Just hope his film cuts the mustard as a lot is hanging on it,   Blomkamp is a die hard fan of aliens so hopefully he will give the fans what they want bringing back Hicks and Newt was a winner of an idea from him :)

A