Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
cruise control - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

cruise control

ragingfool35

aftermarket kits are available for vehicles equiped with the GM VSS

going thru the EMH and MK sections I cant find any outputs suitable from the ECU

maybe I'll buy a Haynes manual for pontiac grand am quad4 and track it down in the

electrical schematics

unless...

someone has already done it?

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed one on mine but of course the S4s is easier to hook up as we have the electronic speedo. There should be a VSS out from the ECU that you can tap into. I have a friend who just installed one on a S4 with the mechanical speedo. I'll email you some info.

1995 S4s

I installed one on mine but of course the S4s is easier to hook up as we have the electronic speedo. There should be a VSS out from the ECU that you can tap into. I have a friend who just installed one on a S4 with the mechanical speedo. I'll email you some info.

How about posting it here, others are probably interested. Hint, hint! :blink:

What brand/model did you get? Does it work well? Any issues? Thanks!

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

How about posting it here, others are probably interested. Hint, hint! :blush:

What brand/model did you get? Does it work well? Any issues? Thanks!

Hey Sanj,

I did a write-up on it at the time and actually submitted it to LEW but I guess it didn't make the grade. :D:blink:

The unit was made by Rostra and purchased from Dakota Digital. It's been installed for 3 years and works great, never a problem once I got the settings and calibration correct.

If anyone is interested in the install write-up, pm or email me your email and I'll send you the word .doc.

Here's a couple of pics:

The control module under the bonnet

controlmodule.jpg

The control stalk

ccstalk.jpg

1995 S4s

Jim

I greatly appreciate the info

It looks like Rostra is the only (or maybe just most popular) aftermarket cruise control out there

your buddy pointed me to the place he purchased his from ( www.brandondist.com ) stating they

had the best prices. a quick search showed him to be correct

ordered mine today for $217 with shipping. got the pannel mount control instead of stalk and will find some cool place to install it.

he also installed to gas pedal and also used the 8000 pulse per mile with low gain, taking signal from ECU red harness (J2) pin B8

very helpfull fellow (I hope he does not mind me posting his efforts)

maybe Sanj would be good enough to mark up the electrical schematics and we can add to your write up

maybe even make the LEW grade :blink:

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• Gold FFM

not to go tooooo far off-topic here...

I noticed the cover over your bonnet electronics - where the relays, CDL, radio interference, ...are. My cover is much smaller (on the firewall behind the control unit).

Is that a factory cover - hiding more electronics in the S4?

I would like to buy one - and use it to cover up the additional components I added last weekend when I added an alarm system.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

I noticed the cover over your bonnet electronics - where the relays, CDL, radio interference, ...are. My cover is much smaller (on the firewall behind the control unit).

I would like to buy one - and use it to cover up the additional components I added last weekend when I added an alarm system.

Lou,

Yes it's OEM.

1995 S4s

I think a cruise control would be a great addition to improve the comfort on a long trip. It is hard to keep your foot jammed in one position for great lengths of time. It seems to hurt my hip and knee joints as well. It is also very hard to hold constant speed w/ the power capability of our cars. One small movement & your waaay over the speed limit!

Jim,

I would be interested to see it posted here as well since my car is carbed, but I may also want to add an electric speedo.

Thanks, Lee

Hey Jim, did you have to add a clutch switch? If so, was it included in the kit?

The clutch kit is an option and not included and I did not use it. The engine will over rev if you push the clutch in while the CC is activated but I have not found that to be a problem as I tap the brake pedal before pushing in the clutch which deactivates the unit.

I originally thought the tach wire was supposed to control the over rev but I guess that only applies to an automatic transmission application. In thinking about it, I may change the dip switch setting from manual transmission to automatic and see if that makes any difference...

1995 S4s

Ok, install procedure is posted in the Wiki section

<a href="http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...ticle&id=18" target="_blank">http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...ticle&id=18</a>

The manufacturer install manual can be found here:

manual

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. BTW, your link to the writeup is broken, here it is:

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...ticle&id=18

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

If you want one I would try and get one second hand. I wanted a new Plenum cover ( the bit the boot gas strut attaches to) as mine had broken. Its only thin ABS as is the relay cover, but the OEM part was almost

Great work dude, thank you :blush:

Rock on! Been wondering about this for some time! I'll order one up soon!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 2 weeks later...