Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wastegaste solenoid bypass? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Wastegaste solenoid bypass?

Hi everyone,

My 1990 Esprit SE is finally home from the shop and its not developing full turbo boost. On a flat road it maxes out at 0.5 bar and on a hill it maxes out at 0.65 bar. When I picked up the car my mechanic showed me where a previous owner has bypassed the wastegate solenoid. The solenoid is still there but its been disconnected. In its place is a straight pipe. I have attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Could this be why I am not developing full boost? Any thoughts on why someone would do this?

Most importantly, how do I hook the solenoid up correctly?

post-3717-1194309205.jpg

Many thanks,

Stephen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your help and the link to the photo. When I look at the solenoid in my car one end has 1 outlet and the other end has 2 outlets. There are only two tubes visible to attach to the solenoid.

Is the solenoid that's in my car even the correct one? Should the solenoid only have two outlets?

-Stephen

Those other two solenoids are the same. They operate the EBPV and throttle jack, both of which can be disconnected. If so make sure the EBPV is fixed in the open position and then use one of the solenoids for the wastegate.

Your wastegate is being opened directly from the turbo so probably creeping with only a few pounds of boost. That could account for the low boost you're getting.

DanR

Those other two solenoids are the same. They operate the EBPV and throttle jack, both of which can be disconnected. If so make sure the EBPV is fixed in the open position and then use one of the solenoids for the wastegate.

Your wastegate is being opened directly from the turbo so probably creeping with only a few pounds of boost. That could account for the low boost you're getting.

Those solenoids are NOT the same, so if his is bad then he needs to obtain a new one. The wastegate is working exactly as it is supposed to - without intervention from the ECM via the solenoid, .65 bar is just right.

Travis posted a good diagram elsewhere, here it is again.

wastegategb8.jpg

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Those solenoids are NOT the same, so if his is bad then he needs to obtain a new one. The wastegate is working exactly as it is supposed to - without intervention from the ECM via the solenoid, .65 bar is just right.

Travis posted a good diagram elsewhere, here it is again.

Oops, you're right.

Would it still be possible to substitute one of the others with a little replumbing though?

Also with no solenoid in the wastegate link, just directly plumbed, wouldn't that enable creep?

DanR

no, as the OP found out, removing the solenoid and just piping directly from the wastegate to the port on the exit of the turbo will result in whatever mechanical limit the wastegate is set to, normally .65bar.

However if you get a big hole in the pipe the the turbo outlet, or just remove the wastgate line completely, you will easily get dangerous overboost, and the ECU will shut down the motor (briefly).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE